Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940-47 ford truck cab corner ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hottrodd39, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Hottrodd39

Hottrodd39

Can someone tell me of any companies comment that currently still make a cab corner patch panels for the 1940 through 47 ford truck? Howell sheetmetal is the only place I see. That even Carry Them, but they are currently out of stock with no ETA

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

They appear to be the only ones,,, and I need two sets

3. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I have no experience with them, but Midwest Early Ford has a listing.

NOW SHOWS DISCONTINUED

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I just saw a new set listed on ebay, at almost double the old price,,,,

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you just need the skin stand a '40's-'50's hood on its rear, the bottom outer edges can work cut and trimmed to size... my $0.02.

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

Go with Midwest Early Ford.

Mac's has them, way more money.

Trim them down to only what you need.

IMG_4237.JPG

40FORDPU likes this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I bought some good ones long ago from Wolf Steel Restorations. $70 each.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 41-Pickup

41-Pickup

Curious, did you ever find a source for these? I am looking for some as well. Thanks

9. old school rodder

old school rodder

Try C&G early ford parts, out of CA. They have a good selection of stuff, I've bought from them in the past.

10. Hottrodd39

Hottrodd39

Apparently whoever the supplier was that had been making them for years quit making them, how will sheet-metal started making some, and charged twice as much is what they used to cost, they fit beyond terrible, you have to do a lot of massaging to make them fit. With that said, I did get a pair from howell since they’re the only ones making any , I did get it to fit I just took a lot of work for what it cost .I have a right side one if you’d like to buy it I needed that one for the left

11. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

They don't look that hard to make. Plus they are low enough on the cab that a couple minor mistakes won't show. Let's see at $2.00 an hour I have all week to get these right. Think I'll give it a go myself.

joel likes this.
  12. Hottrodd39

Hottrodd39

Not a problem, The ones that howell sheet-metal is selling it’s not worth buying, , the ones that were being made a few years ago Buy a different manufacture I bought, they fit iperfect, yeah the ones that have are making you’re better off just make it yourself if it’s not too bad, good luck

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I just recently fabbed a set for a 40 cab. The skin is mostly flat, and I made the bottom part with a break and ashrinker/ stretcher.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  14. Hottrodd39

Hottrodd39

I agree 100% with you, if you have a shrinker stretcher and the sheet metal bender it is a simple piece to make, I have made a couple of pair of myself for my own trucks when I’ve worked on them, But sometimes the people who pay me , want to stamp sheet metal parts cause they think they’re better. All I can do is tell them I could make the part or they can buy a part . if they want to buy a part since they’re paying for it I do what they want

15. 41 Street Rod

41 Street Rod

I spoke to Howell on the phone, they said the 41 cab corners were retooled about a year ago. Has anyone tried the fitment on the new batch?

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Just looked up Wolf Steel Restorations and they still have the corners listed. Mine were perfect... or so close I couldn't tell. Tried to copy the link but dang computer outsmarted me!
    Here it is as typed by me... hope it works.
    www.alphaparts.net/ford42.htm
    Helper Al

Update:
    That didn't work for me.:eek: Go to alphaparts.net and then enter 'Ford' in box where they ask what are you working on? Then the cab corner came up at same $70 price I paid along time ago.
    Still trying to help.;)

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I called,,, but they be East Coast, first thing in the morning as I need for two trucks, and for me the time it takes to buy and have shipped, is better than my metal skills

18. Budget36

Budget36

I made my own on my '42, just because noone offered the inner part. Figured if I wanted it all done, why just buy the outer skin?

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll add some info from my experience.
    When I bought my 41 a couple of years ago, I went looking for a bed kit. I found a good and complete kit from Midwest Early Ford in Ohio. I picked it up at NSRA Nations North. As I talked with the guys from Midwest ,I learned the old guy who was stamping the bed parts also made cab floors ( 1 piece ),cab corners, "A" pillar cab mount pieces, etc. I bought everything that I needed and that was available. I was told the old guy was retiring and was unable to find a buyer for his inventory and tooling. I don't know the details, but Midwest Early Ford bought some of the tooling and a fair amount of inventory and there were other vendors who did the same. The pieces I couldn't get from Midwest, I got from Howell. All were good pieces ; I think all came from the original inventory. Lucky!
    BTW, the "inner" cab corners are actually part of the floor pan stamping.

20. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i got mine years ago from....northernclassictrucks...in oregon i think...they had a great range of panels and very good quality at that....from memory they made nearly enough to build a new cab...
    good luck

21. 41 Street Rod

41 Street Rod