Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hood latch problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2018.

1. I have had the hood open and shut on the '50 coupe at least 10 times in the last couple of months but this morning I pulled the release and nothing happen.:mad:

I don't have any experience with these type of latches, is there a trick to opening the hood if the cable has failed? HRP

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. Luke stone

Luke stone

Does it feel as if the cable has snapped? If not get someone to pull the cable while you push on the hood
    Luke

LOU WELLS and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get 'er open yet, Danny?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might try having a helper pull the handle while you put a little pressure on the hood and then release the pressure.
    I think the cable broke on my 51 Merc once and I had to pull the grill out and worm my way up in there to figure out how to release the latch. It can be done but you may have to put your young, skinny and limber buddy into service on it.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully, just some lubrication will do it...

6. The mental picture, one out of three ain't bad, younger is my friends only advantage, possibly the boss lady can get up in the grill area if it comes to that. HRP

7. are you parked crooked or jacked up uneven? if o level it off and try it.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hardest thing to find on the internet seems to be a stock 50 Ford coupe hood latch mechanism.

9. Ted, the car is in the shop and it's setting on all 4 tires.

I looked around for a illustration and didn't find anything, it's just strange I haven't had any problems until yesterday. HRP

10. Slopok

Slopok

Go drive it fast somewhere, those hoods were known to pop open by themselves!;)

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I give a good whack on the driver side corner as I'm walking up to the front, usually pops 'em. Can't say I ever done it on a shoebox Ford though. YMMV. ;)

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Creeper, powerful flashlight, & a really long screwdriver. Once you get down there, you'll see a way to release it.

13. cable ???
    We get broken hood cables here and most of them ain't much fun.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes about 3 hours to remove the grill to get access to the hood latch when the cable comes out of the end holder on a shoe box. Well thats how long it took me, plus I got to use a few words that dont always get adequately exercise.
    3 hours on my knees praying to the shoebox grill....

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN, jazz1 and 3 others like this.
  15. So when this happens we usually make a tool out of some 5/16 rod to catch grab pull or push the damn latch.
    There's a few of them, many remidified several times.
    Think PAintless dent removal tools.
    It's not fun but doesn't take 3 hrs.
    Most are easy to change with the hood open. I have one coming in tomorrow with a broken latch but it's a 02 Honda so let's not talk about that one even though it's about the same scenario and tools and methods

16. A very common problem is the hoods unlatching at hiway speeds then lifting full open crushing the front of your roof and caving in the middle of the hood. We installed safety chains back in the day. Cheap insurance.

17. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

This is payback from the coupe for changing your mind on a mild custom;)..

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All jokes aside it might be worth bouncing down a mile or two of one of the rougher local roads while holding the hood cable pull to see if it pops open. My guess is cable failure in some respect though.

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Murphys Law. Just when you think you've seen it all something else happens. Hood release cables suck. Keep us posted on your progress.

20. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

If the cable hasn't broken, maybe the hook is somewhat stuck on the hood.. On an OT truck I used to have I had to give a good fist bang to the area of the hood where the latch was and it would pop open. More of a band aid which you need now and then find a cure.

21. That's what SHE said....

22. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Did you get it open?

I am not a big fan of cable latches.

mikhett, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Nope, I haven't fought with it since Saturday, hopefully later this week I can get it open. HRP

24. Since I got mine working I’ve been paranoid about this very scenario. I’m thinking of fabbing some sort of lever or extension so I can reach in there and pop the hood if need be.

Meanwhile, I dab a little grease on it about once a week. Still paranoid.

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep , after a 3hr battle to get the grill out, I decided to fit a second remote release cable , just to be sure not to get caught again.

26. clem

clem

Yep,
    Hood release cables need maintenance also, just like any other cable, (accelerator, choke cables etc ) a bit of lubricant goes along way.
    They may also stretch, but I haven’t come across that scenario yet.
    Possibly the easiest and most overlooked maintenance item.

Long thin screwdriver or similar may help.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

The real problem is hood release cables are a flawed design that were never intended to function for almost 70 years. At least GM wised up and stopped using them at least on Tri 5's and 60's cars that I mess with.

Gary

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  28. Heck, my late model Ram truck has a release cable. HRP

29. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Well Danny, it looks you got yourself a maintenance free car!

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Never have to worry about anything under the hood if you never have to open it.:D

Wait, isn't that how a vast majority of the general population operate ? Especially the female ones ;) :D:D