Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What Do You Think Of This Picture?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Nov 19, 2018.

1. oj

oj

Not implying this is Tardel, didn't mean to give you that impression. I just wonder if this a seperate derived car predating the BTR. The car has an authentic feel, kinda crude and sophisticated at the same time, like the ornamental piece passing in front of the radiator and terminating at the shock bolt. Too bad there isn't a way to date it, could easly be a clone that sat in a barn for patine, but the wear on the bias ply leads me to think either thye went a long way to deceive when there is no gain to do so or this is just what it looks like, an old Model A roadster hotrod.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Is this a Bluey clone too? Looks like it's a 31, and has a black interior, though.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. SASROD

SASROD

Search "AV8 Redux" on the Jalopy Journal and see if you can find one difference to the "original" (except some dust and tire wear).

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looks like a "barn find" waiting to be "found" again.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. bubba55

bubba55

It sux - nobody's been driving it - give it to me - please !

chryslerfan55, clem and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

The “original” has a polished firewall canister and the clone ( or whatever it is) doesn’t just to make a point..

mikes car is/was world class, anyone would have a tough time reproducing it in terms of authenticity and appeal.. probably even him.. not a slight in the least if one notices a difference..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. SASROD

SASROD

If the owner doesn't even wipe/wash the dust off, why would they polish an aluminum can once a month to keep it shiney?

8. That happened a long time ago.

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You guys realize that car was built in the early 90s? ... it’s about 25 years old... why would it look new?

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Where the headlight bar mounts to the front shocks, one is in front of the shock and on the original it's behind the shock. The windshield post looks like cast aluminum ones.
    29 roadsters on 32 rails are my all time favorite

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

They say a picture is worth a thousand words............I fall a little short. :D
    I would drive it, after I checked it out. ;)

12. Good eye. Remember Mike's "Bluey" was on model A rails, not 32 rails.

Mick

deucemac and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. This one is on its original Model A frame.

You guys are funny. A car is a quarter century old since it was built as a hot rod, has changed hands at least once, and you think owners have left it TOTALLY untouched?

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

The way "Bluey" was built, any changes would probably not be an improvement. JMHO

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a blue 28-29 a Highboy blocking an AMES bodied T Speedster. Can I see a full side shot of the AMES? Bob

16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Well, someone has been driving it. The one tire you can see is worn down pretty well. The puke tank looks out of place but who am I to say, i'm still trying to find the right "look" for mine.

Its a cool car that looks like Mikes old car so........ whats the back story???

Cliff Ramsdell

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF8631.JPG I'm going to say that is the old Bill Harrah AMES Speedster and both cars are side by side in a Virginia collection today. Bob

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Thou shalt not put strange gods before me..."
    Little ambiguous, even for...

Okay, just to be sure: Read the Isky spec plate on the firewall, see if the cam specs are the same as the Tardell sheet. (grin)

19. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I like the Ames speedster.....Not sure if it is the Harrah's car, however. Years ago, someone reproduced the Ames speedster bodies so there are a few floating around.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, I did notice the upholstery differs on the two AMES speedsters on the second look.

Bob

21. Fordors

Fordors

Read the article Mike Bishop wrote that was titled AV8 REDUX that @SASROD mentioned above. Bishop found he could not afford to keep the car, sold it, was able to buy it back when the owner passed away, and then he eventually sold it again. Somewhere along the line an owner (must have been the first guy to buy it) added the surge tank, it can be seen in the photos Bishop took of the car when it came back into his possession.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue paint and red interior. Well, much like the current fashion of girls in yoga pants there's times I want to hug the one who got that going again and times I want to slap em in the face. Some things just DON'T belong together. See your shopping mall for details, results DO vary, DEFINATELY should be void or prohibited...:eek:

23. Latigo

Latigo

"WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS PICTURE?"
    There is no center of interest. Nothing to pull the viewer into the photo. The angle of the shot could be improved to create more interest. It's fairly flat and needs more contrast, perhaps better lighting. Too much clutter in the picture detracts from the subject.
    Ain't a bad looking car though.

24. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

Two things by a newbie:) I really like the car. Boy, man, wow-this is a tough crowd!

mrchewie, Stogy, clem and 3 others like this.
  25. What's up with the exhaust headers and engine block, pretty fish-ey photo, it might look better after sniffing some 97 carb air, you know that special 2 pot air.

Stogy likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It's one of those dual plug V-4's !!! With the exhaust heated water pumps!!

27. A Boner

A Boner

image.png What about this pic? The cobwebs seem to be pulling me into the photo!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Stogy and Latigo like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This picture verifies it escaped modernization with only a couple of deviations from original build status but still has got what it takes...but didn't see much action recently evidenced by the dust and webs...

Life sometimes gets in the way and I am not going to say anything as I am not privy to the situation at hand.

Look at Jim Street. Hung on and didn't want to let go.

Always pleasant to see current status of Period Survivors...and that is one that goes back many years with me...

Thanks @a boner for sharing the what's up pics...;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    The37Kid likes this.
  29. clem

clem

Welcome to the Hamb
    You will fit right in !

DesertRat#1 likes this.