Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for history, 55 Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham 55, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Graham 55

Graham 55

I own this 55 gasser in the UK, I am looking for any info on the car, I am told it was built in 62, in Omaha NE and was called The Bean Bandit, the engine is set back 11 inches, it originaly had a 302 cu in z28 DZ motor, Hilborn fuel injection motor,Liberty 4 speed and ran d/gas . The Salzar brothers have been mentioned , but not sure about that, Any info much appreciated InkedIMG_20181010_155210653_LI.jpg

Butch M, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  2. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Cool car, but if it was originally built in '62 it couldn't have had a 302 dz or a liberty 4sp. as they didn't come out until much later. Possibly later additions?
    A 283 bored .125 over was a popular set up at that time and was called a 301.

The Bean Bandits where a famous race team in the '50's but they ran dragsters. That doesn't mean someone didn't use the name for their car.

Unfortunately there is also the possibility that someone made up stories to sell the car.
    Show us some more detail pics(underhood, interior, rear axle/suspension) it could help determine the car's true heritage.
    We got some pretty sharp cookies here.

3. Graham 55

Graham 55

yes of course you are right , that was as it was in 88 with the 302 etc,i would add that I think it was built by the Salazar brothers . That is why I would like earlier info, thanks Hutkikz I will remember to put that in later posts

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. Graham 55

Graham 55

5. Graham 55

Graham 55

I have been informed that it was likely to have been baby blue and white in its earlier years

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow nice piece! hope you find the history! this is the place to find it!

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have been in the Omaha area forever and a big tri five fan . I can't remember the car . The Salazar brothers may still be around.

8. Graham 55

Graham 55

Thanks Joe, I have searched for them but with no luck !

9. japchris

japchris
    from England

When Kev owned this I thought he found some traces of sign writing on the door when it was rubbed down. Think he took photos but lost them on a bad computer.
    I was with Kev when he bought the car. I remember it had '40 Ford brakes on a different front axle then. Had an Olds rear end from what I recall.
    552.JPG

10. Graham 55

Graham 55

Thanks Chris . Yes I translated it different to what he thought it said, and I found and have been in touch with that owner who restored and raced the car 82 on. It was originaly built in 62 and retired in 72 , that is the era I am looking for info on.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Graham 55

Graham 55

Update
    What I know so far is that it was built in 62 and raced by the Salazar brothers in Omaha NE ,it was named The Bean Bandit. It was then retired in 72. Pictures or info from that era would be great. It was brought out of retirement in 88 by another fella in Omaha and raced for a few years, sold to someone from Denver CO in 91/92, it then went to Inglewood CA , then ended up in Burbank CA in the late 90's and in 2007 it came to the UK. I know its 88-92 owner , but anything else would be great to hear , Thanks.
    PLEASE Share with your friends

Chucky likes this.