Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Jersey Girl" Full Custom '47 Ford Coupe!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pinstriper40, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

You’re going to be famous Joel!

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

kustom famous is the best kind of famous! Regular people don't have a clue...

Anyways, I've been doing bodywork on the back half and my buddy Chris helped me get the front end back on... Lots more to do!
    20181116_094345_HDR.jpg 20181116_161554_HDR.jpg

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Now it looks like a Mayflower

loudbang and Pinstriper40 like this.
  5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Customer choice on the grille. It's growing on me! I think it looks better in a Ford than in a Plymouth!

6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Pinstripe 40 I agree with you Frank

7. jim snow

jim snow

That grill looks amazing. Never seen that before. Good stuff. Snowman

loudbang and Pinstriper40 like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wonder why folks remove the rain gutters as they actually make a chopped car look better.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It's hard to make them look correct is my guess.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I like it too! I hadn't seen one before either. It's unique!

This car is meant to have a late '40's early '50's feel to it, where removing the drip rails was commonplace. It was a "must have" on my checklist and the customer's!

That is correct. With the way I chopped this car, a molded drip rail would have to be added later in order to get the flow right. Thanks!

Stogy, rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I got a bunch done yesterday, welded the front fender seams and ground them down, started on the new grille structure. I'm going to take my own approach to how to tie the grille, body and hood together visually. 20181117_202505_HDR.jpg

12. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

13. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks. Snowman

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Well, since there's another one out there with a plymouth grille, I've gotta be a bit different, right? I am taking a bit different route when it comes to how the fenders, hood, and grille will go together. I hope you like it!
    20181117_185819_HDR.jpg 20181118_141424_HDR.jpg 20181118_152217_HDR.jpg

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are building this for a customer so they may have seen the other custom and were inspired...still leaves room for individuality...really enjoying this adventure in altered flow...;)

It's kind of like music...some songs sound earily similar but originated worlds apart.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I like the other version, but I'm glad you're taking a different approach! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The Dick Bertelluci effect.... 20181118_195533_HDR.jpg 20181118_211331_HDR.jpg

18. 47 ford

47 ford

Nice car where is that from?

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  19. 47 ford

47 ford

20. 'Mo

'Mo

The car wears Texas plates.

loudbang and rodncustomdreams like this.
  21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You do amazing metal work.
    In one of your post you said that the fords 46 8 have a way of showing up at your place. Find one for me that I can trade my 27 t roadster for. I need a closed car for the wife.

Happy Thanksgiving.

jim

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

23. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I wish I could just get my deck lid to fit my 47

24. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

That was my 46, from the UK.... recently sold it to a fella in Germany

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just beautiful..... you have extreme Talent.

Pinstriper40 and loudbang like this.
  26. fortynut

fortynut

I have read through this a couple of times and realize that your experience in ''Eyeball Engineering" includes extra special abilities in Esthetics. Your uncanny talent for form and making things flow is commendable. Although these are Old School modifications, you have a mastery of getting stunning results, and by mentioning the work of Bertolucci, it made my day, as his work is my favorite of the period when outstanding Customs came from Northern California. I will be watching to see the final results of your current project. Put me down as another fan. Now that have established my high regard for your work, (buttered you up, some might say) I have a question. I have Forty-Eight Coupe I want to build a daily driver out of and wish to preserve the drip molding. And, though I admire your results and would go whole hog, I won't be the eventual driver. My daughter will. That said, my question is, if I chop mine three inches, how much more should I remove from the rear in order to remove all traces of the hump in the rear? I am sure with your skills and, even though you did say you go by 'feel', this is a question you must have been asked before. I am only looking for some kind of ratio. Or, a common sense approach that works simply as a rule of thumb. If you would prefer not to answer I understand that an artist's thinking and feeling is best appreciated in his work. As a matter of fact it may be presumptuous to even ask. The second question is have you ever done a mild chop and are there photos? Is 'The Jersy Girl' going to get a traditional paint job in Old School colors, or black? Skirts? Wide Whites? Sombreroes? I know if I wait the answers will be forthcoming, so you can take my questions as rhetorical. Good Luck and good wishes. Keep it coming.

Pinstriper40, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Jim, thank you very much! My metalwork doesn't hold a candle to some of the guys on here, but I'm getting better at it...

The more I look at it, the more I dig it, too! This car could be one of the "lost customs" of the past, built by the Ayala Bros. or Dick Bertolucci in '51...

They don't fit all that well, do they? I'm doing the best I can with this one.

Wow... Thank you Jeff! YOU have extreme talent! I wish I had the space and time to do the upholstery and detailing on this '47... I've got it built in my head! I am just grateful for the opportunity John (47Ford) has given me on this car to do the restyling. I hope this thread and the next one I'll be doing on the '41 Buick in my shop will garner enough attention to do a full build and hopefully set me up with a bit bigger shop. A guy can dream, can't he?

Well, Mr. Fortynut, I appreciate all of the kind words. I'm flattered! I think I've said it before in this thread, but in order to get the flow that I've gotten with this chop, keeping the stock driprails simply isn't possible. I could go over this more, but you'd have to bring some coffee and sit in my shop while I lecture for an hour on aesthetics and limitations. HOWEVER, that being said, a smoothed out round-rod drip rail could be added post-chop to flow as needed.
    As far as the rear window goes, yes, it's by eye, and I don't have a measurement. I chopped this car about 4 1/2" vertically, and the entire quarter window and back window flow was created in my mind's eye. I'm just glad that my hands were cooperative. Again, I could talk aesthetics for hours, but I've got to get back to working on this car!

On a side note, I'm very humbled by your comments, fellas. I'm blessed to be able to do a full-custom job on this car. I hope to have the opportunity to do many more. I think my greatest inspiration for design would be the Ayala Bros, as they seemed to really get their cars "melty". I'm going to be starting a full custom Bettancourt/Zupan inspired '49 Mercury next fall but I've got to get my shop truck done first.
    If you are interested in having a car chopped or a full build, please send me a PM. I offer very reasonable hourly rates and I absolutely love what I do. I'd love to build more pre-1955 style customs, but I really want to build an Alexander Bros. style '59-'62 custom as well. Thank you!

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Getting close to being done with the Jersey Girl's new nose. She's getting there.... 20181127_223713_HDR~2.jpg

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The back end is getting meltier, too. 20181128_001014.jpg

30. 47 ford

47 ford

All,

Just a little background on how this car and my relationship with Joel started.

I was surfing the HAMB when I came across a post of a 1947 Ford that Joel had chopped during one of his classes and gave away car to one of the members of the class. I gave him a call and told him that I loved it and would be interested in buying that car. Well it wasn't for sale but Joel assured me he would look for a solid 46 to 48 Ford to chop for me.

I want to make this clear, I have never met Joel or spoken to him until that day, and we still haven't met face to face, crazy right. This was all done on a gut feeling, which luckily for me was dead on.

While out in his travels he finds this super rust free 1947 Ford, negotiated the deal, and I buy it based on his recommendation

We discuss our vision of how the car should look, because that's the way it should be in my opinion, and he gets to work chopping the top

And as most can see, he KILLED it!!!!!

We discussed grill options - I had to share my vision with Joel, which he reluctantly agreed to do, like I said before a shared vision right. Turns out the grill is growing on him and I think he likes it.

There are many more mods that Joel did to the car, and still more to go.

The bottom line is that Joel has the passion, the talent, the personality and professionalism to be a huge success in this field for years to come. This is our future.

Did I mention I still haven’t met him yet?