Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What unusual ways have you transported car parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

These guys bought my 39, and parts pile. I thought they were going to rent a truck and trailer. Instead they showed up with a suv... and said they were going to drive the car to the dock in Long Beach from Vegas. Crazy... I thought.

They managed to load the 303, two trannies, set of headers, and kitty of smalls into this thing

IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  2. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not too unusual, but works for me. DSC_0660.JPG

OahuEli likes this.
  3. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

[​IMG][​IMG]how I got my roadster home

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I flat towed a 56 chevy from california to Missouri with a 60 chevy 283 powerglide. no problem, would not even consider that today.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. nobux

nobux

A1.jpg

When I bought this ragged sedan body for $300, the condition of sale was that it had to go immediately. Unfortunately, I was driving my beater Ranger. 40 mph top speed before the steering started to wander, headlights pointing at the sky. A normally hour drive took 2 1/2.

mgtstumpy, scotts52 and Just Gary like this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I carried a new dash pad for a 58 T-Bird on top of a 85 Chevette from Florida to Ohio...

7. How about in the cockpit of a 747? Back in 1984, I brought a pair of Webers and some other pieces for my BBC home to Vancouver from Honolulu in the cockpit. The hard part, was carrying the bulky package of parts up the narrow circular staircase of the 747-200. Before the days of computer scheduling, there were lots of 3 day layovers, where I had plenty of time to cruise the speed shops and auto wreckers for parts. Not the same world anymore.
    Bob

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went though the whole thread and to me most of those photos and stories seem normal rather than unusual.
    When I was in High school and drove a Metropolitan rag top I blew the engine up and dad brought me an engine in the trunk of his 57 Olds Super 88 with a J-2 tripower He stops at a gas station and while the kid is checking the oil and checking out the J 2 with 3 carbs Dad opens the trunk to see how the 4 banger is doing and kid walks to the back and looks in and asks "what are you some sort of power freak" Dad calmly says "no, this one isn't hooked up".
    In the early 70's when I was building my T bucket I had the rolling chassis pretty well together and no body. A buddy stops by and says "ya know, there is a model T body that is all apart laying next to a fence line a couple of miles out of town. An hour later most of the body was in the trunk of my 62 Impala headed home with the trunk lid closed and I had to turn around and go get the rest of it. 23 Touring body doors and all.
    I've hauled two or three AD truck cabs in the back of my 48 over the years including one sitting out in the yard now.
    Hauled a pair of long bed running boards home from Portland strapped to the roof of the Grand Caravan we had but thought that was normal rather than unusual. Hauled a 9 inch rear home from north of Seattle in the same van and a lot of parts from swap meets in it.
    I took off one Saturday morning in my Geo Prism GSI and booked it 200 miles south to Bend Oregon to pick up a Jag XJS front suspension and haul it home by laying the back down and shoving it through.
    Hauled two doors for my 71 GMC home from a friend's place in my wife' s Monte Carlo by laying the back seat down and stuffing one in the trunk and setting the other across the back seat floor where we could just close the doors.
    Years ago I hauled a Turbo 400 over to my dad in the back of Mom's Chevelle, left her at my Sisters and went to his place and towed his 75 Olds up Benson Highway to an old gas station that rented out the bay and hoist by the hour. Shoved the Olds in, raised it up unbolted the trans, lowered it over one of those 30 gallon grease cans they use as a trash can, took the last bolts out, raised it up and swapped places with the transmissions and dropped the car back down and bolted the fresh one back in. 2 hours start to finish he backed it out of the bay and headed back home with it dead trans in the trunk.
    Best one though was when I had my hood louvered. We loaded the hood in the trunk of that same 75 Olds and closed it and dad took it over to his place where he was going to take it to Seattle to have it punched. He took it to Tacoma to have it stripped and the guy at the metal shop set him up with a guy in Bremerton to punch the louvers. He wheeled over there with the freshly stripped hood in the trunk and dropped it off and we picked it up the next weekend all done. Back in the trunk and back to his place where I transferred it to another rig and hauled it home.

9. Wish I still had it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

IMG_3475.JPG
    VW Bus bumper in my old Z28 was tricky.

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Oh, I did stick a '56 Chevy two door hardtop door in the trunk of my '63 Impala one time. Fit nice and easy.

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In September, 2001, I went to England with some friends for the annual Beaulieu auto jumble. An auto jumble to you hillbillies is a swap meet. Across the road was a jumble for motorcycles and parts. There I bought a pair of NOS mufflers for a '67 Norton Commando.

I tucked the mufflers into a suitcase type bag as I always brought a couple collapsible bags to fill with goodies. Our return flight was scheduled for September 12, 2001 but we didn't make that flight due to circumstances in New York

On September 16, 2001, we were notified that we could board at London Gatwick airport 4 days late. The airport was crawling with uniforms with real automatic weapons and they appeared to be serious with their duties. When I went through security I placed my bags on the conveyor and told the operator that I had two mufflers in the green bag. He just nodded and pushed the button and into the x-ray machine they went. Suddenly, there were several of the uniforms (and guns) really close to me now.

To make the long story shorter- the British term "muffler" is a woven scarf thing that wraps around one's neck in cold weather. When the operator saw two long skinny steel items he pushed another button. The Brits call motor vehicle mufflers "silencers" hence the confusion.

Anyhow when it was over everyone relaxed and the bags were loaded onto the aircraft. Once I was in NJ I was abundantly clear to the x-ray operator just what was in the green bag.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. An old model A sedan dirt car I put in the back of my 1/2 ton short bed truck in Mo. and hauled it back to NY.
    Screenshot_20181119-135854_Photobucket.jpg

A few months later I sold it to a guy in Maryland and he showed up with a trailer big enough to hold a bulldozer !

Screenshot_20181119-135651_Photobucket.jpg

14. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

Sikorsky Sky Crane.....

- EM

[​IMG]

OahuEli and TagMan like this.
  16. topher5150

topher5150

until I sell my xterra this is how I'm gett part.jpeg ing stuff around.

17. 327Eric

327Eric

I have put big block chevy heads under the hood and on the floorboards to put weight on the front wheels of my severly overloaded 1/2 ton chevy because along with the 57 vette, if i t took the two 427s, the 454, the muncies and the 46 harley in one load, I got paid and got to keep a 427.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought a 1939 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck for $100 and towed it home behind my 1939 Ford 1/2 ton by wrapping chain around the front and rear bumpers.

scotts52 and Just Gary like this.
  19. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

That's pretty ballsy!!
    Towing horror stories.... A buddy and I bought a 1942 American LaFrance fire truck. We towed it down I-40 across New Mexico with an old universal tow bar behind a 1/2 ton truck. Let me tell ya, going down hill was pretty scary! That big old fire truck would start pushing like it wanted to pass us up. Scary. Then we took Central Ave through Albuquerque....ooph. Stopping was dicey.

Bobby

20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

My ex-wife "Air-Freighted" a gear knob across our garage at me [during a difference of opinions]
    Does that count? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  21. mikebarone

mikebarone

OT car, but relevant stupidity. Seemed like a good idea until the forklift pulled up to my truck.

It made the trip to Houston from Dallas with ease. I had a box of lag bolt so I could put the tie-down points where I wanted them.

I'll use a trailer next time.

Attached Files:

bobbytnm likes this.
  22. Ron Amittone

Ron Amittone

23. When I was 14 a guy gave me a 29 ford coupe. Car was 11 miles out of town with the last 3 miles being gravel. My buddy and I would ride our bikes out to the model A with a bag of tools, remove parts and ride back to my place in town. I got a lotta looks when I rode all the way home with a 29 ford radiator shell around my neck.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I transported AT LEAST $30,000 worth of ebay sales in a $15.00 radio flyer wagon over a 5 year period. I wish I had taken some photos of it all loaded up. once I almost didn't make it back to the car when almost I ripped the front steering out where it was attached to the floor. that was before ebay started to SUCK and changed the search function so no one sees your listings.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

I was surprised two flatheads fit side by side in the back of my Chevy HHR. I've also strapped wishbone/axle or two to the top from time to time.

IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_1074.jpg

26. X-cpe

X-cpe

One of my students Brought an XKE hood to the shop strapped to the roof of his car. It had been center punched right below the grill opening. Looked like Jaws.

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

I hauled a complete 425 Nailhead, a 401 shortblock, heads, manifolds and a whole bunch of miscellaneous Buick engine parts in the back of my Volvo V70 wagon. I couldn't believe it all fit in there, the poor thing was sitting on the snubbers.
    I flew back from Denver once with two grocery bags full of valve covers and a Mallory Flat top distributor that I bought at a swap meet at Bandimere, as carry-on. They looked it over pretty good, especially the Mallory but it fit in the required carry-on space. It all stunk of old engine and blowby which had the officials asking if it could be dangerous.

28. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

During the 70's fiberglass dune buggy craze we found a perfect ragtop VW body in the desert. My brother and I somehow got it onto the roof of my dad's 4x4 GMC Carry all and tied it down and took it home. Wish we still had both, the GMC and the Ragtop.
    Mike

29. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Car battery in a backpack...on a bike....to parts store and from parts store back to a dead-in-the-water car where it went kaput.
    Glad i had my road bike in the back.

bchctybob, swade41 and Just Gary like this.
  30. I used to have an o/t 4x4 truck with an 8’ bed. Going to pick up 20’ sticks of steel to fab frames and such, just had the steel shop lay em side by side in the parkinglot, drive over em and strap em to the bottom of the axles making sure I could still turn the front wheels and drove home with the steel under the truck. Works like a dream.

Shutter Speed and Boneyard51 like this.