Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have lost interest in sharing because my posts are being deleted. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Krahnic, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Krahnic

Krahnic

I created the thread "49 merc 4 door chop" when I chopped my top by myself. I wanted to share the things I did differently on the rear than what I found in videos and articles. It was fun and will hopefully help others doing what I did. Now, I am nearly finished adding a twin supercharger, narrowing the frame and rear end, tubs, air ride, torque arm suspension and new sheet metal in the trunk. I created a lengthy thread on the topic, and it was flagged and I was informed that it was "moved" to a different section, but it was deleted. Is there a rule against suspension mods for liability or something? I posted some pics of tubs in my chop thread and they were flagged as "off topic". I dont know what I am doing wrong, but it pisses me off so I haven't been sharing because it's a waste of time. Any suggestions???

2. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

Sometimes people will build a car with body modifications that fit the time era of the HAMB, but build the chassis in a modern/current way and/or use late model drivelines and suspension.

While the bodywork may be on topic for he HAMB, the chassis may not. If it's all jumbled up in the same thread, I have seen whole threads deleted because the mods don't have time to pick through every post and picture.

My best advice is to be aware of the rules and only post what will fly.

There have been many projects where it's obvious (to me at least) that there are OT things going on, but they are neither featured nor mentioned and that seems to be ok. At least from what I can tell.

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

At least now you know what they want. When your thread went missing, I wanted to suggest that you look into Oldsmobile irrigation pump exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I'm sure by now you have come to the realization that the Hamb is locking in on a period style of build and is somewhat flexible but not to the extent of a pro street type rear half and tubs.

I saw the work and it is very nice but it doesn't fit in the narrow parameters of the Hamb, for what it's worth it's a pretty cool car. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Krahnic like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree. If you post pics, try not to show the off topic stuff to keep the purists off of you. Don't mention it in your text, either. I know, it's kinda like trying to be PC, but you have to stay within the guidelines. That's why I almost never post pics of my car or what I'm doing to it, it has OT wheels and tires and newer OT engine pieces that are newer than the 65 cut off date. I don't know anything that will get a thread deleted faster than billet wheels, a couple of the mods really don't like them as they don't fit in the time frame. I try to take pics that cut out the offending details.

Stay in the guidelines and show off your work. Others can learn from your experience.

7. Hey Krahnic, guess you will have to seek out some forum that is friendlier. For what it's worth, I keep all my photos and videos with verbiage on my own site and then I post or share the links based on whatever the subject is. That way if some "person" whacks you because you happen to mention that you own an automatic transmission you haven't lost anything. Sharing your experience for the benefit of others isn't a "thing" around here.

bowlingball likes this.
  8. That is completely untrue and a misinterpretation of reality. It is, fake news.

This place has a specific focus, with rules and guidelines around it to keep that focus. If you can't understand that, that's on you, no one else.

As we know, this isn't the first time you've chimed in with your sour comments.
    Again, take the time to read the rules, they make things very clear.

9. Krahnic

Krahnic

Oldsmobile irrigation pump exhaust manifolds? I can't find any info...

10. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

I put up a post today of my 23 roadster body mocked up on the frame we built, and it was removed. Any idea why it would've been removed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. Krahnic

Krahnic

I don't own any vehicles newer than 1972. No electronics. I do all my work solo in the garage. I have no professional experience outside of a couple years doin auto body. I'm not sure when the first narrowed/tubbed rear end was built. I have designed my entire rear suspension myself since I couldn't find any tubbed Mercs for examples. I understand that torque arm rear suspension is not traditional. I chose it to keep suspension parts low, to not disrupt the floor when on the ground, as well as handle the power. To me, anything you can innovate in your garage without "kits" billet or electronics is Old School, though maybe not period correct. Can anyone suggest a better forum that is accepting of such modifications? HAMB members were very helpful doing my first top chop. I've had no outside help or input since I started going hot rod with it. Too late now really, I'm almost done.

Lone Star Mopar and gegcorp2012 like this.
  13. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

Moriarity likes this.
  14. gegcorp2012

gegcorp2012

Hmmmm my days may be numbered as well... I decided to post in the "Introduce Yourself" thread since the pictorial guides made it pretty clear to me that there is a section for Gassers and Customs, etc.

(BTW - nice idea on using pictures rather than fine print to show what you are after)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

15. Yet pedal cars and guitars are "on topic" ?.. But I got whacked from the "small block engine" pics because I chose to install aluminum pulleys, and one of them happened to show up in the picture---- but if I had scanned a few inches to the left, my picture post would have been just fine ? I realize what "rules" are, but being whacked for an informative and educating post such as suggestions/guidance on problems with a 700R4 just verges on silly. Not everyone is still driving with three on the tree.....

I have read numerous postings before where some guys say such things as "If you don't like the subject matter of a given post (related to "old cars"), then just don't click on it". Seems entirely appropriate .....I read maybe 5% of the postings.. It doesn't piss me off that somebody posts something about "fixing rust" or "where can I find a 9" rear end"... I just skip it and keep reading .... It surely ain't a hard thing to do.. I suspect there is more to the rules than "keeping on focus".. .more like "I got the power to limit anybody and everybody from entering my turf - obey me".

16. I really don't understand why members look for fault in others after a moderator shuts down a thread they consider off topic, they posted this and posted that, it comes off sounding like a 10 year old spoiled brat.

Believe me I have had multiple threads deleted since I joined, some I thought at the time were uncalled for but the moderators have a tough job and I learned a long time ago to suck it up and move on, what's off topic today will be off topic tomorrow.

The focus has undeniably tightened up in the last few years, what would fly and get under the radar won't now.

Ryan recently set up the antiquated forum for discussions about "pedal cars & guitars and various & sundry odds and ends but if you read the rules they are pretty obvious.

Bitching about it ain't gonna change anything, it's Ryan's site and he makes the rules. HRP

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Moderators donating their time to try to keep the HAMB on focus has zero to do with any power trip.

The focus of the HAMB is to enjoy / share " Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Cars" from the ERA of the 20's through the early 60's and keeping it focused to that.

What Guys don't realize is - if..... IF Moderators give a pass here and there on later themed stuff on the HAMB - with over 250,000 members, guess what ?

Other guys thinks it's ok to slip some 80s, 90's , 2000's stuff and say - hey Johnny got a pass for all his Billet stiff, why can't I have my aluminum whatever from the 70's, 80's, 90's etc and then the HAMB is not the HAMB anymore and just some street machine whateva website.

Moderators decisions are not personal, they are editorial.

Not every guy is going to be happy and sometimes unfortunately we have to say if it bothers you that much then maybe the HAMB is not for you.

18. Hombre

Hombre

Kranic, This post is not to blast your speaking to the off topic thing, it is just a few thoughts. The HAMB is just the HAMB. It was started by a feller that is really into Hot Rods the way they were. Not what they evolved into but what they were from the early 60's back. If you are going to be a part of this community you are going to "HAVE" to abide by his rules. Fair, unfair or whatever they are the rules plan and simple.

There are other web-sites out there, hell I have visited a few of them before. In time they everyone of them bore the hell out of me. The cars are boring ( TO ME) and a visit and a short one at that is for me a reminder of just how good the HAMB really is. For me personally I have seen plenty enough Mustangs and Camaro's and the new fad rice rockets to last me a lifetime. These type cars do absolutely nothing for me, and if the HAMB was to start bending the rules it wouldn't be long and it would be the same as all of those other sites. I am not much for rules, rather we could get along without as many as possible, but in the case of the HAMB I applaud the rules no matter how tough they seem to be to some. Like Danny above I have had post deleted, not many but a few. It is the way it is and I believe the way it should be around here. Get off topic with your car pictures or your build and it is going to be gone of that you can be certain.

The Mods here do a hell of a thankless job trying to keep this place the way most members really want it to be. I for one do not believe they are out after anyone individual person. What they are terrors of is off topic crap. The rules are plainly posted for everyone to see, go back and read them again and I believe you will see what is and isn't allowed. It's simple really.

19. This seems to really be the "meat in the sammich" right here. There's already a ton of sites out there trying to be everything to everybody, but they all kind of start to run together after a while.

This in not one of those sites. :cool:

lothiandon1940, OLSKOOL57 and bowie like this.
  20. All good thoughts but your preaching to the choir, Kranic picked up all his toys and left on January 1st.:rolleyes:

Lets face it, he was a member for ten years there is absolutely no reason why he didn't know the rules.

What amazes me are the guys that join the hamb and think they are privileged, somehow exempt from the rules or there will be some exception to cover their off topic way of building . HRP

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  21. silent rick

silent rick

my thread about a piss foam smiley face got deleted.

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

Exactly.

I have an old Off Topic buildthread here that used to squeak by because the fab work would work the same on, say, a handbuilt aluminum track nose.

But it doesn't anymore.

No big deal.

We used to ask members to just read the HAMB for a while, and not start posting right away.
    To get a feel for the place.

But it seems reading and comprehending is just too much to ask, these days...

23. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

As a new member of almost 3 months, I followed the HAMB for about 1-1/2 years. At first I was concerned that I wouldn’t fit in due to strict rules for builds and threads. Long story short, I visited other sites only to keep coming back to the HAMB. Now this site is the only one for me. I was on track to a resto style of build for my 57 Chevy, but now I am pursuing a “Traditional Build “ pursuant to HAMB guidelines. I have read and re-read the guidelines. I fully understand the rules as best I can. I’m sure I will make mistakes, not intentionally of course. As I have stated in a previous post I quoted someone who stated “The Easy Way To Be Unsuccessful Is Trying To Please Everyone “. Rules Are Rules.

24. Muttley

Muttley

I've been a member here for nearly 16 years, I've never been able to figure out what is so difficult to understand about the rules of this website. Judging by the difficulties some people have with them you'd think they were written in Chinese or something.

town sedan, Hombre, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Or the difficulty is that they are written down at all.

For a long time, all the rules on the HAMB were unwritten ones.
    From time to time it would cause some confusion, and it meant a lot of extra work for us Mods.

But it forced the Users to think about what was appropriate for the HAMB, and it seems to me on average, people were a lot more respectful of the place.

Now that they are written down ( with as big as the HAMB is now, there probably was no other way ), those decisions are taken for the Users and also it gives the people who have absolutely nothing going on in their lives a thing to rebel against...

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm a content whore. The people that I enjoy reading and the folks that I do my best to cater to are typically those that don't have to wonder about the rules simply because they've either been here long enough to know the vibe or they just get it.

Given that, I'm sure people are ran off at times because my rules aren't clear enough... Through the years, I've done my best to make them as clear and succinct as possible, but it sort of is what it is at this point. I have no desire to be that guy that beats the rules down and is constantly dictating what is and what isn't on point. So, I just sort of go with the flow and delete stuff that pops up when I need to, and warn users if a habit is forming.

The guys that don't take the time to really ingest what it is we focus on probably read these actions as off putting or something along those lines. I guess that's sort of the cost of doing business, but it's not something I'm proud of.

I don't think I've actually banned a real user in over a year or so? Maybe I'm forgetting... That's crazy to me. But point is, things are running pretty smooth from my perspective. I don't feel like I'm putting out fires all the time and I have the time to do what it is I really want to do - create content.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They don't make peanut butter that runs as smooth as this place.

28. It's ironic how some members blow up and get mad if a thread gets deleted and says they are done with the hamb, there is only one problem - It's addictive, very much like a drug, something in the brain craves it.

The member that posted this may not be participating but he is still checking in from time to time. HRP

Krahnic
    Member, from Boise, Idaho USA
    Krahnic was last seen:
    Oct 24, 2019

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    town sedan likes this.