Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dent removal in the top of my Mullins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 16, 2018.

1. I discovered last night that I have a huge dent in the crowned top of my Mullins luggage trailer that I haven't used in at least 20 years and realized it was caused by a large Styrofoam ice chest full of water,seems I have a leak in the roof of my barn.

Now any normal dent can be easily remedied but my Mullins trailer is a reproduction fiberglass and the weight of the water made a big dent in the top.

I tried popping it out with my hand but that didn't do anything except hurt my fist, I didn't even know fiberglass could be misshaped like this.

Any helpful hints about how to repair the top? we are making plans to use it nextyear when we go to the nationals. HRP

jazz1, nochop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I removed a dent in roof of my car with a heat gun, have no idea if that will work but may be worth a try.
    I was extremely careful, not letting it get over about 150 degrees. I could touch the area but just a second...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have owned a lot of corvettes and I know that glass is in a constant state of motion. You can block the crap out of one prior to paint and have it ripple up a few years later. More than likely that weight on the trailer roof was accompanied by some heat and the combination reformed the fiberglass.

There was a story on here once about a guy that left the back window up on the nomad and ended up stacking wood on top of the car over the years and the weight and heat actually warped the back glass.

It can probably be fixed the same way. build a frame inside, jack it up and reheat the glass. It may take multiple tries to get it right. Sucks, those are cool trailers. Your a handy guy, you'll figure it out but stop slugging it.

4. Heat and a jack inside. Remember a local hobby painter, who would use heat gun, and even deft use of propane torch, to move fiberglass parts around.

5. dan31

dan31

I would just try to spread the pressure point from the jack out as evenly as possible to avoid having a small upward dent in your larger downward dent.

loudbang, clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...or even form a 'buck' out of something like Styrofoam to mimic the finished contour of the roof and use it to jack against. I'd approach it this way while gingerly applying heat and pressure.
    hate those kind of surprises
    Good luck

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Put the cooler inside Danny and then stack stuff on top until it pushes the lid back up to where it should be when you close the lid.
    Then park it in the hot sun for a few days.
    You can even sneak up on it a little at a time.
    The heat and pressure should do it, once it cools down it should be fine.

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone with a heated paint booth could become your best buddy?

Chris

9. The sun would have been a good heat source but now the weather has turned cooler I guess that approach is out for now. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Is the inside able to be accessed ?? Could also be a good time for a propane heater. Open the windows to vent excess heat .... but put the heater inside the trailer to make your own Mullins oven.

I'd use a similar flat shape to top whatever you're then pushing the top dent out with. Floor jack .... piece of lumber cut to fit height aka dead man ... and your flat pusher piece .... with heat through out the trailer done.

Call over some hookers .... and friends. Celebrate !

I can't verify anything in this post as workable ... with the exception of the above last post. ^^^^^ :) Good luck !!!

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I wonder about jacking up from inside and covering with an electric blanket? Fiberglass under both pressure & heat does easily take a set.
    Jimmie

Texas57, loudbang, KoolKat-57 and 2 others like this.
  12. You misunderstood the problem,it's a luggage trailer there are no windows. HRP

upload_2018-11-16_15-52-19.jpeg

13. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A pic of the damage inside and out would help.

jazz1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Turn the lid upside down, reverse the process? Fill the ice chest again?

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Another project....
    You wear me out. :rolleyes:

16. Get inside, have Brenda close the lid. Push up with your legs. It helps if she's not peaved at you...

17. spanners

spanners

I don't know. If the missus is peeved with him, she might slam the lid on his head which may push the dent out and ease her frustrations at the same time.
    On a serious side, if the lid is removable, could you turn it upside down and fill it with very hot water. The combination of heat and weight might reverse the damage.

18. jazz1

jazz1

Remove lid and pour sand in lid to slowly press back into shape. If you are not in a hurry I would not get too aggressive.

dan31 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

An Ins Adjuster would tell you that once the sun hits that dent it will just pop right out. "Won't even know it was ever there". Well at least that is what they have always told me when I got a dent in something I thought they needed to pony up $$$ and fix.

20. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow. HRP

chryslerfan55 and john worden like this.
  21. Glutton for punishment, I was just going to pull it out of the barn and grease the wheel bearings & replace the tires.

Really glad I didn't wait too long to check it out. HRP

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm with the school of thought of taking it off and pressing down on it. Heat would help, but if you put weight on it and wait long enough it should press down back to it's original shape. How big is the cooler in gallons? Figure roughly 8 lbs per gallon of water, put that much weight with maybe a little more added in. I wouldn't get carried away trying to put too much weight or pressure on it at one time, you run the risk of cracking the fiberglass. Slow and steady is the word.

24. I really couldn't say how big the Styrofoam container is, Brenda being in the floral business we got a couple of the things from the funeral home, baby caskets use to come in these Styrofoam boxes tp keep them from getting scratched.

Our car Club used them for icing down sodas when we hosted our annual show and the container was on top of the trailer without a lid.

It probably had at least 5 to 10 gallons of water in the container. HRP

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So, 5 gallons would be 40 lbs, 10 gallons would be 80 lbs. A 80 lb sack of Sakrete concrete mix would be about right in weight and possibly size. Plus, it will bend some to contour to the lid, not a lot, but some. You'll have to support the lid by the edges and let gravity + weight do the work.....

26. I would be very careful about putting a strain on the hinges. Being the material I believe you would probably do more damage. I think I would take the lid off & turn it upside down, make a box & fill with sand ,shape the sand,cover the sand with a tarp & then place the lid in it. then put your weight on it. No guarantee that the dent won't reappear. Ask Karl Wescott what he would do is best .

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  27. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Put 20-25 lbs of sand in a pillow case and sow/tape/glue the open end. With the lid upside down lay your sand bag in there. Apply heat to the underside with heat gun/ electric hearer/ keno salamander blowing from a distance just keep an eye on how hot it's getting. Go round and a round giving it light wraps with a large rubber mallet. The sand will help hold and distribute the heat. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Ooooops I forgot. You'll have to support it. I suggest 2 saw horses with a tire on top. Set the dent in the tire.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[QUOTE="Bandit Billy, post: 12825572, member: 254716"]I have owned a lot of corvettes[/QUOTE]

Was that your mullet period?

29. F&J

F&J

ok, I'm in.... :oops: ...and I'll bring the camera.. Think Tech Week 2019 !

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^It was a corvette mullet if you must know, unlike the lesser quality quaffs of the day like the el camino mullet or the budget nova do. Overall the bow tie mullet was far superior with the screaming chicken shag worthy of mention.