Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 15x6 Steel Wheel ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Saw these wheels on eBay earlier today. Had to have them. Should look fine on the rear with my 5" F1 wheels in front. Think I've seen a few pictures of guys with wheels that look similar to '40 Ford drilled like this but these look from the picture to have the holes stamped into the center before the center was put in the hoop/rim. Anyone know who made these? Looks like maybe Dodge hubcap clips between the lugs, maybe? Bolt pattern is 5.5" like early Ford.
    IMG_2542.jpg

2. redo32

redo32

Still checking my memory banks , but I'm thinking Imperial.

3. rudestude

rudestude

I would guess Chrysler Crown Imperial.... I had a 66...very cool car... it's wheels looked just like that ..... I lowered the car down a bit ...duel exhaust straight out the back and run it with the stock steel wheels , black with no covers...thats how I remember the wheels looking .......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

indestructableforce likes this.
  4. Thanks. Was hoping they were older but hey I dig em and they look older than '66. Thinking if these aren't pitted, they'd look great chromed.

rudestude likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree they look older than '66. Imperials used the 5.5 x 5 wheel pattern for several years, as did some New Yorker models. The thing that most suggests older than '66 is the center bolt pattern section with the locating pin holes and slots for spring clips. I recall seeing the slotted wheels on earlier Imperials ('50s era). Some Imperials and NY'ers had the optional Ausco disc brakes...perhaps accounting for the slotted wheels.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'58 up Imperial, used until the lug pattern changed to 4 1/2''.
    They would look great chromed, but they have to be cut apart in a lathe.

rudestude likes this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

Go look on the "sitting and rotting" thread picture of a Chrysler Crown sitting with its wheel off and on the ground ...take a look at the wheel.....mmmmmm......looks like a match to yours....and it's off of a ..............yep...post #14287

8. Back to 1955 on the mopar parts list for the hole'y ones....the later maybe 1957's to 1961 went to 14" solid's rims with out those holes in 5 1/2 Ford pattern then back up and 1966 was the last year for the 5 X 5 1/2....like some of the old Buick's rims they were a hot set up for being wider....6"or so....

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Chrysler,I have seen them on Imperials.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The ring of small holes is for the locating lug on the brake drum when molars used wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts. I believe they changed over in early 60's when the small holes went away. They might be in the police shipment list also.

11. rudestude

rudestude

This is from the sitting and rotting thread... notice the wheel on the ground..... tapatalk_1543722379918.jpeg

12. Yep. The concensus is right. You guys are badass. Definitely '60 to '66 Imperial. I'd say a guy could have put them on a rod in the day. Would be appropriate since my T will probably get a narrowed 8.75" rear. Found a listing for a NOS one, part number 1948155 on the tag. Pulled one of mine out and couldn't find anything other than "made in USA by Motor Wheel" stamped into the center with one of the holes punched through the USA. Welds are where rivets would usually be rather than welded completely around the lip where center meets rim. First time I've seen that. Should be plenty stout, though.
    IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  13. fordpatina

fordpatina

14. rudestude

rudestude

I know my 66 Crown hit 6100 lbs. on the scales so it needed some good wheels under it.......