Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Collection Lost in Malibu Fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you see that I hit the Like button it sure isn't because it is something I'm happy to see, just amazing to see what nature can do. So sorry to that so many people lost everything.

Bob

2. joee

joee

that's the problem with keeping stuff...….build it,drive it,sell it and move on to the next one

RidgeRunner likes this.
  3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

For a lot of the fire victims the problems are just beginning, all of those properties will need to be cleaned up according to code, soil removed to 6" depth, special liners in dumpsters, special dump fees, my insurance covered about half the cost of dumpster rental. State and federal employees seemed to fair better than those without such affiliations, wah wah wha and so on. What most of these people have to look forward to is Government regulation, code enforcement, hassels with insurance. I'm already getting requests for donations for the fire victims, money I can assure you they will never see.

Boneyard51 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  4. 34Larry

34Larry

OMG !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I have yet to read all the posts above, but to say I'm totally shocked is so lacking in my feelings, there is no description and no words for this more than devastating loss.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. 34Larry

34Larry

Running a risk here to say this. Some here have said, " screw the material loss, (cars), there is more at loss than that. I agree with all that say that, 100%, and I ditto all that has been said about this horrible loss. However...………… The OP,s post WAS about a lost car collection. While we all have sympathies and feel devastated for all losses, this post was about cars and responding to that seem right to me.

The37Kid, bchctybob and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. You need to think fast when a disaster is at your door step. Do all the cars run 100%, where to stash them? With Sandy in 2012, people parked their cars up by the shopping centers and lined the road next to the train tracks by me. One guy by the water with a '58 Vette, he didn't believe the 19-foot storm surge prediction and that car was lost. Another guy on the water, he had calls from people who wanted to park their lemons in front of his house and a couple of them did.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They will rebuild! That’s what we do! But,this time, they will rebuild smarter. When you buy existing buildings and homes, it’s hard and expensive to make them fire resistant. With a new build and the right changes in codes, new buildings can be built fire resistant, mind you I say resistant, not fire proof.
    The sad part is that a fire threat in these places will be nonexistent for many years... until the vegetation grows back. That is a slow process in dry areas.

The active fire suppression systems, showed in previous post, do work, most of the time and are not toxic, if you use the right stuff. BUT are very expensive! Our Fire Dept refrained from using foam just due to the expense of the foam, let alone buying the system. So if a city flinches at the cost, it is out of reach of most homeowners and small businesses.

Again this is just a technical discussion.

My prayers go out to my fellow Americans, in California and hope He calms the winds and brings rain soon.

Bones

8. Not trying to be a jerk but how long do you think that foam is going to stay on your house when there are 85mph winds blowing? People do not understand the absolute fury the fires can create when wind is involved. They are not like a giant campfire happily burning along they are like a blast furnace tearing across the land.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Point well taken, K13! If people have never experienced it, they will never fully
    understand it.
    There are many things in this world people try to describe, but until you’ve walked that mile.... you never quite understand.

Bones

INVISIBLEKID, 57 Fargo and Stogy like this.
  10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I guess if you wanted to help fire victims, you could start with out houses on or near properties, after our place burned there wasn't a tree to hide behind to do your business, as you went about the work of cleaning up the property. AT the time of our fire, burned cars had a value of $400 per I made a deal with a tow truck operator, he could keep all the money from burned cars and steel but he had to take it all. Other than that I got no help from anyone county/state/federal I did get a nice pamphlet from the Dept of Agriculture about noxious weeds???? Unless you are a Gov employee you are on your own, our insurance company was like hiring an adversary, when I told our agent I was thinking of hiring an attorney he said" Don't slam your balls in a door"????

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the odd thing about our country. When one person has a catastrophe, no one cares. You have a bunch of people have a common catastrophe, everyone wants to help.
    Large catastrophes are made up of a bunch of single catastrophes in a group. It’s no worse or better that your neighbor shared the same catastrophe. Just an observation I’ve had for years.
    I don’t understand how being a Government employee would make any difference in an insurance claim?

Bones

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  12. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

In our fire in Colorado 159 homes were lost. The only people that landed on their feet had a Gov. connection or a good insurance policy or both.

13. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I don't think it would work since the foam is usually used to limit oxygen flow to a fire or isolate the fuel source. If the temp of the fire wall is 1,000 degrees F, the heat alone would cause significant damage to structures and cause a loss of life.

INVISIBLEKID and clem like this.
  14. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

We had a concrete bridge destroyed in Atlanta a year or two ago by a big fire. Just cause it doesn't burn doesn't mean there will be no damage.

clem and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The temp of the fire is not the only concern, time is also involved and that translates to amount of fuel available to maintain that temp. That’s where the foam ,and there are different kinds of foam, and fire resistant materials do their job. They protect for a time, till hopefully the ignition sources have dissipated.
    Obviously if there is enough fuel for the fire to continue for an extended time, foam and other measures won’t work.

Mind you I’m talking buildings not people.

Bones

INVISIBLEKID and kbgreen like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Nothing we do in the way of fire protection can possibly be 100% effective in 100% of the situations but it's sure as hell better than doing nothing or (re)building the same old stick shack. These dry conditions and high winds, while becoming more common are really an unfortunate alignment of conditions. Add an ignition source and you have this kind of disaster. A "perfect storm".
    In my central California area we have the same conditions, dry grass, trees everywhere, and occasional light breezes but when fires have started our local F.D jumped on them with everything they have and stopped them. The difference seems to be the wind factor, more wind, more danger of the fire spreading faster than responders can contain. It was reported that the wind was gusting up to 60 mph in the area where the fire started.
    In my opinion, anything you and I can afford to do that helps prevent the loss of our home is money well spent.

tb33anda3rd and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well said!

Bones

18. Jay71

Jay71

Ive lived in the Woolsey fire area my whole life. Only thing is I don't live up in the hills or canyons. These hills have burned periodically for as long as I can remember. Fall comes, Santa Ana winds kick in, and its on. So much dry fuel up there that the fire dept basically will let the fire burn all through the hills and try to make a stand when it starts approaching structures. The winds were ripping the day it started and continued for days. Not a whole lot you can do but try to get out of the way. As far as getting cars out, what you need to realize is that these houses are tucked way up in the canyons and hills. Not your normal graph paper housing tracts. On a normal day its a windy 2 lane crawl just to get to a lot of them, and a long windy hall out to get to a safe place. Theres no way your gonna be going back n forth pulling cars out and getting them to a safe place. Been a tough year for Ventura County.

jnaki and Beanscoot like this.
  19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I checked the latest lists of missing persons this afternoon; my friend Larry isn't on them so here's hoping. Haven't found a list of IDed fatalities yet but I imagine those won't be made public.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Special Ed, we all here have compassion for the people effected by these fires.
    You’ve got to understand, most guys and gals here on this forum are “ fix it” people. We’re the individuals that people go to to fix their problems.
    That’s what we’re doing here, offering partial solutions to a horrible disaster. That’s what we do. That’s who we are. Or at least that’s who I am and what I do.
    Sometimes the typed word doesn’t convey how a person actually feels.

Bones

bchctybob, trollst, dan31 and 4 others like this.
  21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

As a person that designs and builds things, I was thinking of ways to prevent forest fire damage and ways to control it, one line of thought was... we've all seen google earth (terrain) we also know a lot about wind speed and direction, why couldn't vegetation, structures (fuel) why could't a map be created and designed to starve a fire? Pointless line of thought as with the rainy season approaching most of the fire areas will be the new flash flood areas, but again google earth would be able to show you where.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All y'all need to stop, and reacquaint yourself with etiquette and compassion.

These fires are still burning. In the Camp Fire alone, so far, 63 people were killed, and 639 are missing.

5-families that I know have lost everything. I cannot contact 8-people that I know, and by now, are likely dead.

Kindly remove your heads from your asses, and get a grip on the suffering.

Cars do not matter.

23. We had a big fire on the Long Island Expressway, someone (driver's name was Robert MATCH) ran into a gasoline tanker and an entire overpass was incinerated, down to the girders and rebar.

24. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Wildfires and hurricanes have a lot in common. I work in the Panama City area that was hit by a hurricane a couple weeks ago. The loss of life from a hurricane is significantly reduced with several days to a week of warning, yet some still gamble. I've never experienced a wildfire, but if a 1000 degree wall of fire can move 100 yards in seconds, man that leaves almost no time for warning. The loss of life in both circumstances is tragic.

The physical damage from the Panama City hurricane was incredibly massive, not unlike the California fires. However, the social destruction not presented by news stories is worse than the physical destruction. Devastated communities no longer have a place to work so income disappears. Schools are closed so one of the parents can no longer work as the kids have to stay home under care. Consider the single parents situation, they cannot work because the kids have to stay home and the day care facilities were also wiped out. The loss of the home leaves the family juggling time between recovering clothing and shelter and work. When an extended family of more than 6 people attempt to rent an apartment, they discover that there are none to hold them unless they double their housing expense and rent two apartments. It's a royal mess.

Here's to all the victims who've lost everything, hoping you find a way forward!

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I visit the area a often my dad and I was just in Malibu about a week before the fire started and driving through the Canyons we were commenting on how dry it was and ready for a fire. Sad to see such a beautiful place catch on fire but it is part of the climate and area throughout history. The Native Americans that lived there for generations and early settlers all wrote and documented the fire threat and blazes in the area. I read that Malibu is one of if not the most likely area in the world to experience fires due to the climate, Santa Ana winds, chaparral etc.; the Chaparral burns fast and the 50 year old stuff burns at the heat of a barrel of oil. Beautiful place but it does have a history of natural disasters. I love going there and running the canyons and Mulholland. Like said above, if you have never experienced the roads there you have no idea how hard it would be to evacuate, especially old cars on short notice. Malibu, Calabasas etc will rebuild but it will take a while, before this permits in Malibu were notoriously difficult to obtain and took years to get approval, it will be interesting to see if they can expedite some of the process but it is doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One thing I remember from my misspent youth in school, there is a record of annual rainfall and weather patterns that unfortunately include widespread drouth, going back thousands of years based on tree ring data of both living and dead trees. In the White Mountains of Nevada some of the oldest trees on the planet are the gnarly Bristlecone Pine, roughly 8,000 to 9,000 years old.

What we think of as "normal" weather or climate, ain't necessarily so. They can be longterm trends that last hundreds of years, and then start trending the other way.

Boneyard51 and 65pacecar like this.
  27. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Speaking of collections. The guy at Bobs big boy in Burbank with all the AC Cobras lives in the Malibu area, does anyone know how he made out? Super nice guy and his wife seems great too, hope he is OK and his home and collection made it through.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. So sad to nice folks, Glad their safe and sure well insured. But its sad that you can not replace historic cars, vintage rare cars, custom cars..one off, you can't just replace it with the two off car. A man collects the things he loves and has a passion for. Yes I can not imagine the empty feel for such a loss. Glad he and his are safe, house , things replaceable, His cars. You can say kind things positive things about being safe etc, but in his heart, there is a hole I hope none of us has to refill.

29. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I just hope he had enough insurance on his collection. I'm reminded of Reggie Jackson's muscle car collection that was lost in a building fire, and If I remember right, he didn't have any insurance on any of the cars, and lost every one of them. Prayers for all the families out in California.

30. Just saw this old episode pop up on my YouTube feed
    Forgot just how cool these 2 were
    Owner seems like a cool cucumber as well
    Kind of guy to sit down and chat cars, over scotch n cigars