Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Pickup Too Low in Front

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEM, Jul 30, 2018.

1. It really does make a difference, I'm telling ya, lock to lock no rubbing, I was running 500/525 Firestones, with a Posies spring. The front fender width, frame etc is exactly the same on a pickup as any other car body style.

2. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

X2

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. Narrow rims and a little more wheel offset will get it to clear or a 48 axle, they're narrower Also running a 3/8" rod tack welded every 2 or 3 in. inside the fender lip around the whole fender opening will allow you rub on occasion with out hurting anything. 2 new wheels are the easy way to make it happen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. Mine rubbed some but sat just right. you might space the fenders out with shims on the cowl and front V brace, probably let the hood fit better too. Yes that is Chet Herbert's Beast behind my truck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    exterminator likes this.
  5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posies will not sell the main leaf only per an e-mail I received back from them asking this. Too bad, there should be a pretty good market for them.

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would find a stock 37-40 axle and have Sid drop it without the stretch and you will have 46 1/2 inches which is 1" narrower on each side. It's $250 plus shipping. Then sell your axle to help make up the difference. Use the stock bones. Problem solved.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  7. BEM

BEM

Thanks all for the help. For now I’m going to put a 1” block in it to get it going. The I plan to have some custom offset wheels made in the future to get it back down. Will post an update when I do that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Before you consider buying 4.50-16s, check the max weight rating. It is only 600lbs if I remember correctly. Not enough for your truck. This truck has a similar ride height, 5.60-15 front tires, dropped stock 1940 axle by Sid. No rubbing issues. Your cheapest route may be a different axle. Tires are $$$$$

078D1519-66B8-460E-ACDA-9B8F08B54FC4.jpeg

exterminator and teach'm like this.
  9. BEM

BEM

Well, I got it back yesterday. With a 1” spacer, it steers perfect with clearance. The stance didn’t change all that much and I’m happy. I may still offset the wheels at some point and drop it back down a little, but this looks great. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

she's a beaut clark

Rich

11. BEM

BEM

Eventually I think I'll get some wheels made offset up front to bring them in and drop it back down a little. I'd like to get the backs offset out so they have some dish to them. Anyone suggest a service I can send a set of wheels off to to get that done?

I had some other hiccups too. While my dad had it, he discovered the block had cracked. The brand new engine I had and forgot to fill with good antifreeze cracked last winter. Great. Found another one here on HAMB and had it rebuilt. My dad had the exhaust hung on it before he brought it back. 2" straight pipes out the back. I LOVE IT!

12. BEM

BEM

Great truck! If you look at mine, you can see I was sitting a lot lower than you and even now sit a little lower (I think).

Love your truck though.

13. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

You nailed it, well done.

14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great. Enjoy!

Chris