Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest David Pearson passed away today - November 12

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 12, 2018.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

One of the greatest. If NASCAR had a Rushmore, he would be one of the icons on it. Cool as they come, and could wheel like few others. The lighting a cig at full bore story is legendary. RIP Silver Fox.
    [​IMG]

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow, just saw this, sad, talk about a tuff guy. he could drive the wheels off anything, then pick it up and carry it across the finish line! another great one gone. rest in peace mr pearson.

mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

I think my first nascar model was his car. I stopped watching it when they stopped running "stock" cars. There's only a few of those real drivers left to us.

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Larry Philips, also had a lighter in his car. I worked as a Fireman in #2 corner of Thunderbird Speedway in the early eighties and it was awesome to see him come around the corner on three wheels, driving with one hand, smoking a cigarette and leading the race.

Bones

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

RIP......truly a great racer from the greatest days of NASCAR and circle racing in general

6. My favorite racer as a kid...RIP... real stock car racing.. not what it is today... God Speed

wraymen, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Always a favorite! RIP

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Pearson family. RIP Silver Fox.
    Jim

9. How true! Today it's more of a parade than a race and all the floats look the same.
    Being a Mopar fan I always rooted for Petty but I had a bunch of respect for Pearson. Very sad to hear of his passing.

10. I to had a model of his nascar when I was a kid, it had a clear body so you could see the cage and chassis. One of the greatest from when racing was great . R.I.P. Mr. Pearson.

11. I have met Richard Petty and he is a class act but I considered David a friend and talked with him many times over the years, I met him when I was about 12 years old. HRP

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

13. toml24

toml24

David Pearson was my favorite driver of the 1960's/1970's. Blue #17 is what I'll remember.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17 was on all the Fords I ran at Santa Maria, CA back in the late 60's because I wanted so much to be like David Pearson.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Pearson was a better racer then Petty if you compare races run to victorys and just way cool!.Wood bros.pit crew was taken to Indy 500 and won back in the 60's

16. One of my Baptist minister friends, Henry Farmer, grew up with David Pearson, and they were friends since they were children. He had some great stories about him. Henry used to tell people, "I've raced against David Pearson and beat him. We were about 9 years old and racing bicycles." My father, who worked at the Ford plant at Hapeville GA for many years, met Pearson when he toured the plant one time. Sad to hear of his death.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. The 'tall timber' is beginning to fall. Sad to see this. I worked in Spartanburg, SC for a while when first out of school and used to see Pearson around town often. Ran into him a lot at Allen Mason's annual open house at Mason's Hot Rods, an event that drew cars from all over the southeast and one that is missed greatly. Here are a couple of pics I shot over the years at Mason's.

Signing autographs at Mason's...
    David Pearson-2.jpg
    David Pearson.jpg
    Recreation of one of the early cars. This one in Wood Bros. colors.

18. I used to watch David Pearson drive a 37 Ford coach at Asheville-Weaverville Speedway when I was 10 or 11 yrs. old. He would come to the bigger races along with Cotton Owens,Banjo and Ned Jarrett. The track was across the street from my Grandmothers house and we would visit most every Sunday. I would sneak off through the woods and under the fence into the track. My Dad was a racer and David always was his favorite driver. Condolences to his family, he seemed like a good man to me.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Lots of drivers got free cartons of Winstons. I recall the Winston girls handing out small packs at Pocono years back.

20. i took these at Ray Evernhams shop/museum yesterday. Ray had many nice things to say about David and was visibly saddened.
    note the cigarette lighter..... IMG_3967.JPG IMG_3968.JPG IMG_3969.JPG IMG_3971.JPG

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

This picture was on the Vintage Trophy Girl thread.
    upload_2018-11-15_15-53-50.png

tb33anda3rd likes this.