Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody make an on topic removable trans tunnel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Nov 13, 2018.

1. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Howdy

I’m building a firewall and floor basically from scratch in my ‘54 dodge pickup. I ended up stuffing the rear two cyls of a v8 through the firewall- under the dash.

I’d like to make a removable hump for access to the rear header bolts and sparkplugs but I want it to look right in the vintage interior.

Anybody do one or have suggestions?

Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I'd suggest checking out what Dodge did with their cabovers and route vans.

radarsonwheels likes this.
  3. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Oh for sure I will be making a one of a kind piece I’m thinking more about possibly making a vintage looking setup to hold it down.

I don’t want 90’s racecar fasteners or a row of self tappers I didn’t know if anybody could point me in the direction of some kind of latches or buckles that maybe would look right in there.

I’m not going crazy period correct like making the seal out of leather or something I’ll probably use hidden foam rubber tape to seal it up but I am looking for a solution for maybe four or six latches or buckles or something I can leave visible that will look cool and fit in with a 50s vibe.

4. I made one for the 1937 Dodge coupe Dad and I are building, but not nearly wide enough to do spark plugs or header bolts. The last picture is the floor before the tunnel was made. The tunnel is bolted down with twelve 1/4-20 screws with u-nuts. The carpet is glued to the tunnel, but the sides overlap and can be pulled back to expose the fasteners. 1-21-17 trans tunnel.jpg 6-5-17 trans tunnel carpet.jpg Dodge 12-11-2015 floor mock-up.jpg

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

small coachbolts painted same colour as firewall equally spaced look industrial to me,bodywasher and locknut on the inside

6. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Nice stuff! Thanks for the ideas

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm planning a removable tunnel in my model A tudor. I picked up some aircraft thin u_nuts a couple years ago, plan on using those with button head Allen bolts.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've never been inside one, but maybe look at a COE.

10. Look at the doghouse hold-downs on a way old van.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

12. Stooge

Stooge

Rivnuts/ Rivet threaded inserts in the floor with corresponding holes in the hump, and button head fasteners would be my suggestion. I bought a Marson set a few years back with the ribbed inserts that supposedly grip the sheet metal better, and its been a great addition and gets used for all sorts of projects.

Blue One likes this.
  13. Dirk35

Dirk35

Here are a few pictures of different fasteners that you can use to bolt the two pieces of sheet metal together. Ill do a separate post replying to your other thread about Firewalls and Floorboards with some ideas for you.

When you both the two separate pieces together, you'll need a type of weather stripping between the two flanges. If you wanted to do it on the cheap, you can cut a bicycle inner tube into nice clean strips for your weather stripping.

Attached Files:

14. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

clecos .... then rivnuts to finish

IMG_1380.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

How about 1/4 turn camlock fasteners?

"Better" known as Dzus. They've been around since the 1930's.

Can't get much more traditional than that - unless you want to use nuts and bolts.

16. fitznstartz

fitznstartz
    from mesa az

I used rivet nuts in firewall and tee nuts in wooden floorboard with 10-32 machine screws. DSC_0007.JPG

Just Gary likes this.
  17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 65 Sunbeam Tiger had 5 inch rubber plugs in the 5 inch holes on the trans tunnel to reach the back 2 spark plugs from the interior

seb fontana and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Dino 64 likes this.
  19. Nice bead work, countersunk fasteners
    Mmmmmmmmm

EBD32B33-3A08-44DD-82C7-CDE74BE5A8A7.png

Just Gary likes this.
  20. We made this for a '34 Chevy. HRP

RichardsQschevy010-1.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  21. e015475

e015475
    from Phoenix
    1. A-D Truckers

My engine on my '49 GMC is also shoved back into the cab and has a custom firewall and trans tunnel

Here's a photo of the firewall from the engine bay side (you'll just have to use your imagination and think that motor is a SBC)
    This gives an idea where the bell housing and the rear cylinders are-
    The close-outs in the cab is a two-piece sheet metal fabrication - one vertical and one horizontal, with a transition between the two. Both where wheeled to give them some contour and stiffness. A bead roller was used around the edge for additional stiffening.
    Here's a little more detail of the upper close-0ut. The transition was made to cover the bell housing with minimal intrusion into the cab. Fasteners are rivnuts and 1/4-20 body fasteners (with captive washers) BTW, I hate rivnuts. A few of them always seem to loosen up and have to be swaged back into the hole again. They sometimes come out of the hole with the bolt attached and are a PITA to get unscrewed.
    To access the Hydroboost and master under the floorboards, cut outs were made. The lip of the holes were reinforced with an "L" section spot welded into the floor pan to keep the floor rigid. The cover itself was stepped with a bead roller to provide stiffness. Handles were formed out of 1/4" rod to roughly simulate the battery box handle in the passenger compartment. The covers are held on with Dzus fasteners. Here's a photo-
    Having the engine pushed back seemed like such a good idea at the time I was laying out the frame, but it is a total PITA whose effects rippled back to headers, steering, firewall, brake booster and brake/clutch pedals.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My floor boards and part of my transmission tunnel are removable for service needs.

I built it that way for my 26 RPU and I used rivnuts and 1/4” button head bolts.

FFBF7A6E-7938-4749-ABB6-BED06E43572B.jpeg D874C8CD-20E6-4598-BCF7-06A7A5CD5651.jpeg 00F2C99E-2822-4F29-A452-1534B15CB900.jpeg

Just Gary likes this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Explain what engine you put two cylinders into the firewall..I have a SBF two cylinders into the firewall and I can access sparkplugs from the outside, housing is 26" wide and still enough room for three pedals..Verticle cover and horizontal cover held on with 10-24 flathead SS socket head with finish washers and flush nut-serts..Pics will enlarge..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Rivnut the hell out of everything.

Having real threads allows a bolt to get properly torqued, and stay that way.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some nice ideas with the same theme in the end and that is nuts of choice and machine screws the correct length. With out a big squishy seal I don't see those van dog house clips getting it to seal and the back corners of those are held down by bolts

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

I wouldn't recommend the Dzus fasteners as they are for something that you need to take on-off often such as race car body panels. Don't Dzus fasteners take up about 3/4 to an inch of space on the other side of the panel for the spring holder thingy?

In my opinion, captive nuts or Rivnuts is the way to go.

Also, for those that search and find this thread in the future, here is the link to your other thread, which is asking a similar question and has a lot of cross-over on the information shared.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...lling-newb-floor-firewall-50s-pickup.1129267/

gimpyshotrods likes this.