Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this and how do I glue it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piledrivin'Joe, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

This piece is part of the housing that holds the heater core to the firewall on my Galaxie. It came out with the core when I was changing it, now I need to figure out a glue to reattach it.
    Google has yielded conflicting suggestions. Anybody know what the material is (fiberglass?) and what’s a good glue to reattach it?
    Thanks for your time!

2. Slopok

Slopok

Maybe Gorilla glue has a product?

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I would use epoxy to hold it and maybe glass over it

mikhett and squirrel like this.
  4. Windshield urethane..

5. The material is fiberglass-reinforced plastic, and it's not easy to repair if you have the 'thin' version like you have. I've usually fixed these by pop-riveting strips of metal at/over the breaks on both sides, then re-sealing with silicon sealer. Use epoxy on the strips before riveting them in place. This stuff deteriorates with age and gets brittle.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I've repaired that stuff with duct tape and window screen and epoxy.
    Seriously , first you duct tape it together from one side and then cut the metal window screen piece and bend /form it to the shape on the other side.
    A stapler works to hold the screen on once its shaped to the part.
    Then you mix up some epoxy and spread it over the screen.
    A few good coats covers the screen and once it's cured you remove the tape and if needed do the same on the other side.
    It makes a pretty strong repair, like has been mentioned that stuff is difficult to repair and deteriorates with time.

7. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate the help. The window screen method makes sense, I’ll probably go this route because it’s too tight to get in there with a rivet gun.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Go to a GM dealer and get the stuff they use for patching Corvettes.

9. Make sure you scratch up the surface nicely so the epoxy has something to bite into. The top layer goes crumbly with that old stuff.

56premiere likes this.
  10. Fiberglass would be the way I would do it. HRP

mikhett likes this.
  11. Some light 'glass would be fine.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. Randy D

Randy D

3M panel bonding adhesive. Pricey, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just weld it..............................................................................................................................................................................................
    JB Weld it that is. Either that,or the GM panel bonding adhesive; just be aware it's a GM product you're attempting to use on a FoMoCo product. Your results may vary. I am Butch/56tsedandelivery