Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Dragettes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Dragettes

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cars ain't NO good widout Chicks.

3. Very cool story.

But somebody needs to tell this guy there's no fan shroud in there!

Attached Files:

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a fast Chick,,,
    Fast Chick.JPG

Pufff, Deuces, 61Cruiser and 7 others like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story but what better way to get guy street racers off the street. Open a drag strip and have a bunch of women at it! Hell guys would show up just to see the babes and not even care about racing!

Deuces, 61Cruiser, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Every hot rod guys fantasy...

Deuces, Stogy, raven and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

This picture is funny or sad depending on your point of view.

House could use some work, overgrown yard, leaves that need to be raked up, even the car could use a good washing, and the kids "Hey Mom you've been out there for half the day, we're hungry!".

All the while Mom is blissfully wrenching on her Olds; dreaming of showing up the other girls at the drags this weekend.

[​IMG]

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

belong to a club that the Ladies are involved with running things. but, have never seen any of them wrenching on the rides - Cool to hear of drag strips opening then, while closing today.

9. Forty thousandths, Mom! Remember what happened last weekend! :D

Deuces, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

"Darla Sue, thanks for that Zucchini bread recipe, and Thelma, I just love the Corvette valve covers".
    "Oh Rod, he's at home watching the kids, and cleaning the house"..............................................................
    What the "H" kind of parallel universe have we just stepped into here? Those photos are all staged; their clothes are way too clean, and even the grease on the hands is just a set up. I can see them getting behind the wheel, but the rest I'm just not sold on. It's what's called a "public interest" story. "Now, where's my apron guys, this stew's not going to make itself; I'm home cooking, and she's out burning the tires off on the drag strip". I did not just say that!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... who cares? The photos are amazing...

Oh, and also... VEDA ORR.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Butch you might be right but I choose to believe the story . Just too cool for words.

13. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

My Bro in law took me down to that track a lot back in the day I was 7 or 8 don't remember the girls but sure got hooked on the cars.

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still a shit ton of street racing going on in Kansas City. Lots of VERY fast cars and with the track being shit down some years ago it’s not like there gonna moth ball them.

Seems like someone’s got some since and the new 1/4 mile should be open this summer.
    Lot of people pretty excited about it. Men and women ;)

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I'm reminded of these pics that I got from another thread.

LIFEfirstangle.jpg
    LIFEsecondangle.jpg

Women can be into old cars/hot rodding, we need more of that. These girls were pioneers of the sport, as much as any guy. Even if some of the photos were staged, it doesn't matter. People read about it, the message got out. That's what is important.

16. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Well yes they are. Seems to be shot at two different locations (drag strip and someones home) on 2 different days. Under a car with 3 drive tools and no sockets in reach? Wrenching on a tranny with a short open end wrench while sockets and driver in tool box nearby? Same tool box and tools in all photos.
    Still the photos are great and show a peek (abet distorted view) into early female Hot Rodders and the part they played.

17. Most magazine shoots are "staged" aren't they? I wish I could say one of those ladies was my grandma...

Deuces, Stogy, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  18. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Can't be real - there's no tattoos, polka dot pinup dresses or high heels!

Staged or not, those are great photos. Glad to have seen them.

19. Don't say that... I don't want to feel bad about my thoughts when I look at those pictures :p

20. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

It seems like everyone races convertables but nowhere do I see a helmet??? Wally must be off somewhere clutching his chest...

21. I'm an equal opportunity employer!;) My wife:cool: 002.JPG
    001.JPG

22. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

If Radical Ray Erickson was still with us, he would be chiming in on this. He was a central figure in Kansas City hot rodding and drag racing in 1955. Rest in peace Ray.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were and still are a force in the Hobby/Lifestyle and many times took home the trophy...always good to see...thanks for sharing this.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since this is sort of an acknowledgment of women in the greasy end of things here's more that liked the eua de gas and rubber fumes and of course speed and winning...

Queen_of_drag_strip.jpg

Quoted...

"Mrs. Fran Woerner of Sun Valley, known as Queen of San Fernando Drag Strip, gets ready to take sports car on one-fourth drag for trail race. Mrs. Woerner, president of Throttle Queens, women's competition racing club, has won 30 trophies for racing and dragging during past years."

tumblr_mhblzalzsa1qi1raio1_500.jpg

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Stephanie, catdad49, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Speaking of Ray my buddy Wayne is also a founding memeber of the kcta I bet he’d know. I’ll ask him next time I see him.

- still daily driving an olds powered t roadster with a quick change!

cactus1 likes this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Small world; I went to high school with a Veda Orr, but she was a class behind me, and "very popular", if you know what I mean, and she did't have a 1932 Ford. And, THIS response, like my OTHER one, is strictly "TONGUE-IN-CHEEK"! Sometimes, the joke just does't land!!! My last year with the Handler's Racing Association (of four), the operators of Bremerton Raceway since 1959, was as Vice-President; our President that year was a woman (first time and none since); her name was Donna Kern (RIP). And, my 32 year career was in healthcare, an industry mostly "represented" by women. Women can do anything, and even more so than men; they prove it every time I turn around; medicine, politics, drag racing (ever heard of the Force family?). I've ALWAYS been a big fan! Just what do they need men for anyway? Oh yeah, almost forgot about that; we better hope they never figure out how to bypass "that". And you're right, the photo's are amazing, but that's really the best thing thing about black and white photography, is't it? The sharpness, the contrast, the clarity (that's ALL really the same I guess, but you know what I mean). To ct1931ford, your wife is a really good sport; mine would have killed me with the very first photo you posted; not that my lady would need too, she's got nothing to be ashamed of! But, I'd be just as dead, and not posting to JJ/the HAMB.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. I thought i was gonna see something like this
    6f98e5be0e3c5a65dce316b35ad7d7c7.jpg

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  29. Dalton R.I.P.