Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best size master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trades707, Nov 14, 2018.

1. trades707

trades707
    from Oregon

I have a 48 Lincoln with a leaky Master Brake tandem master cylinder and remote fill. Front brakes have been converted to disk with Speedway kit. Have proportioning valve and residual valve on front. Been looking at Wildwood master cylinder, but nearest size bore is 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch. Stock Ford and Lincoln master cylinder was 1 1/16 inch. Larger size should have less pedal travel but also less pressure on pads and linings. Smaller size would mean longer pedal throw. Which is best?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try to match it based on wheel cylinders used. Are the rear brakes original? Did they use the 11/16" master? Based on the calipers used in the Speedway kit, what size master did the original application car use? The leaky one in the car now, what size is it?

3. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because disk brakes use a larger volume of fluid than drum brakes I would be inclined to go up a size. When the disks were added how did it effect the pedal stroke then. Phil

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Trades, remember when a car manufacturer designs a car, even back then, they build the cars to suit a variety of people, from a 100 lbs woman to a 300 lbs man.
    Therefore I would error to the larger diameter cylinder that requires a little more foot pressure, as being a man you should have more foot strength than a small woman.... just my thoughts.

Bones

5. Most masters I see are 7/8" or 1". I have a 1" Ford type from Speedway in my car. Also try to match up your car with the same size donor if you want to use a stock master. Look for something from a Galaxie/LTD or pickup truck.