Register now to get rid of these ads!

******Pic's of my 27 T-modified*******

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

Hey Dennis, your ride looks great. Yours was inspirational for the one in my avatar. I appreciate your advise along the way. Hot Rod Jim at Lions makes a very good, straight body.

2. A Boner

A Boner

That's what the H.A.M.B. Is all about.....inspiration. Dakotajayne your "T" turned out great, how about posting some pic's.

Here is a pic of Jim's "T". He finally got it on the road, after many years.....he is always helping someone else, and his own hot rods end up on the back burner! You are right Jim's bodies are very straight.....and hand laid too! image.jpg

Tim, hfh and Stogy like this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice job a boner.. Very very cool...

4. oj

oj

Gotta love a modified. I really like the old couch idea, I wonder what they'll say at the local auction place when I rip the covers off and leave the couch?
    Great little car, I am building a similar modified where you sit below the top of the frame to look thru the windshield instead of over it. Big difference.

5. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png image.jpeg
    A bump with a few pics.

Tim, hfh, patmanta and 1 other person like this.
  6. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thanks for posting recent pictures. That's a beautiful car!

7. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    I always wanted to explain this setup better, as it makes for a much better ride.....when you are sitting way down in the car and out of the wind, and looking through the windshield!

The rear is a 3-bar plus panhard bar....Two outside ( lower) bars, run from the frame rails back to bottom of the rear axle, and the upper bar goes from the center section of the rear end, to the trans. mount crossmember (it runs next to the drive shaft, in the tunnel).
    The panhard bar runs side to side like normal.
    If anyone is planning on building any sort of modified, pay attention to the above. With the rear suspension bars under the frame rails, and running down the transmission tunnel, it allows the seat bases to drop way down......which is space normally taken up by more conventional rear suspension set ups. In this pic, if you look close, you can see where the seat pans will be going.....they are not installed in this pic. This allows the seat cushions to be very low, which allows for looking through the windshield, and not over it! Doing this requires figuring out the seating AT THE BEGINING OF THE BUILD! Doing this also requires that the frame rails are following the outside shape of the body to allow room for the seat to go between the driveshaft tunnel and the frame rails!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  8. A Boner likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Looks great! And it's probably the best looking, as it continues the flow of the body much better. Unfortunately for me, when I first saw this picture in the 60's or 70's, for some unknown reason the "look" without a hood top stuck in my brain.
    I like your engine turning too!

GuyW likes this.
  10. I like the look of the car with the bonnet too much more than without it. Engine turning was very easy to do.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Who's windshield frame and how much did you have to modify the cowl to make it fit? REALLY like the look of the car!!

Stogy likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

I bought the windshield frame from Dick Williams (RIP). Luckily it fit the cowl without any modifications!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Boner, do you recall the distance from the ground to your crank center line at the front cover? I've been digging your car since it was on the cover of the Good Guys magazine. Great seating position but it might be a little warm for southern California. Thanks

14. A Boner

A Boner

It's about 11 1/2" to the crank centerline, and about 3 5/8" to the bottom of the oil pan. Thanks, the Goodguys Gazette cover.....my 15 minutes of fame! Might be a little warm in California, but around here, it's quite comfortable if it's below 85 degrees. At high noon, the sun beating down is more of a problem than the mechanical heat.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Bump for the newbies on here!
    Sitting low in a roadster how to:
    Using a 3 bar rear suspension gets you butt low in the cockpit! A62EEBD7-E3D6-4A29-919A-7A5F3AC0587A.png
    Pic of Son and Wife going for a ride!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Stogy, lurker mick, hfh and 5 others like this.
  16. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Love it! You did such a nice job getting that seat low. Hope to try to do the same on mine, although with a torque tube/trailing arms it may be difficult.

17. High test 63

High test 63

Man i love your car boner. Thanks for bumping up this thread. Being a newb, i wasn't aware of it. This is what i wanted to build back in mid nineties when i bought my 26 27 rpu body off a guy named jim litttiken in indiana.
    Unfortunately at the time Pa. State required fenders over all the wheels to pass state title requirements. I built a pickup bed to attach the fenders to, completely changing my original plan. Before i got the car on the road the state changed the regs and fenders were no longer required. But the little bed stayed and has been very convenient since. The car broke down recently and has me considering a modified bobtail again. Seeing your car and the rusty rocket modified has almost pushed me over the edge...

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@brsturges

Brad,

I hadn't seen this thread earlier. My first thought was, "I wonder if Brad has seen this?"

I want to build a '26 -'27 modified. Problem is I have several favorite styles. I really like A Boner's. But I see another one and I like that too. I can't build 3 cars! Or can I?

High test 63 and brsturges like this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

On the way home from Gus’s Drive in, Saturday evening.
    E812D61F-BB9B-4F66-B605-693A8F2FB0D6.png

hfh, Graham08, Tman and 5 others like this.
  20. Your modifed never fails to get my juices flowing. Thanks again A Boner.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@A Boner,

How about a bunch of new pics of your roadster? I can't get enough.

a

High test 63 and brsturges like this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Here’s one.
    97C62D87-B2C1-4E77-8B1D-5AED513883D1.png

hfh and Graham08 like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Guess I should post this pic...at the time (2008) “KIRK!” as he was known on the H.A.M.B., was editor of the Goodguys Gazette and I got my 15 minutes of fame...thanks, Kirk Jones!
    ED967F14-3734-4E3F-8A66-CD9EAE77AA33.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    thintin, hfh, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Miss Kirk's posts. He hasn't been around for a long time. :(

A Boner likes this.
  26. lake_harley

lake_harley

A Boner.....Is Lions Hot Rods, where you got your roadster body, still in business and making bodies? I did a search on the 'net and found a "blogspot" for them, but it was quite dated. Didn't find an actual website. Can you offer any info? I keep wanting to build another T and have been searching and checking out all of the bodies that are available to make a decision that would be best for me in the long haul.

Great looking car! I'm glad this old thread showed up again.

Lynn

27. A Boner

A Boner

No, Jim from Lions Hot Rods Moved from Illannoy down to Tennessee. Next time I talk to him, I’ll ask about the body mold. (originally Jim Lithekin-sp?- from DeMotte Indiana mold)

28. lake_harley

lake_harley

If you find out anything about the body still being available, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. I just clicked the "watch thread" button so if you post anything here about the body I should see it. Thanks.

Lynn

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, please post it here. I'm watching too.