Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Paragould is five miles away and has a half dozen hotels, including Super 8, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Econo Lodge. Much closer than Kennett, MO or Jonesboro, AR

2. 20181111_220708.jpg 20181111_220804.jpg 20181111_220647.jpg 20181111_220745.jpg He lost by a few car lengths. I didn't have time to remove the carb and change the jet to richen it up before the finals. i wish i had been able to get a pic of his face when he fired it up on fuel for the first time. it sounded bad ass. The local mac tool guy provided very nice die cast cars for all the kids that ran that day. All the kids had smiles on their faces and felt real special. They finally got to race against other kids. Win or loose my son and the other kids were able to enjoy the magic that is George Ray's. He has never forgotten that day.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. 20181111_221627.jpg 20181111_221502.jpg 20181111_221538.jpg 20181111_221555.jpg 20181111_221650.jpg 20181111_221714.jpg 20181111_221846.jpg 20181111_221901.jpg 20181111_221937.jpg 20181111_222002.jpg 20181111_222018.jpg 20181111_222033.jpg 20181111_222043.jpg 20181111_222055.jpg 20181111_222114.jpg 20181111_222131.jpg 20181111_222148.jpg 20181111_222223.jpg View attachment 4093124 20181111_221814.jpg 20181111_221757.jpg 20181111_221739.jpg Going through a photo album I found a few cool shots of mostly hamb friendly cars. The white roadster is George's that he built around 1958. It ran its fastest with a big Olds in it. Notice the roll bar placement. Even as he was up in years he beat the crap out of it as intended

4. We live about 50 miles away. my Grandsons enjoy a day at the drags. Yes it gets very hot except in the spring & fall. alot of pics 244.JPG alot of pics 246.JPG alot of pics 253.JPG

5. Cool. It looks like your son will be ready for a junior dragster in a few years. When my son raced them the child had to be at least 8 yrs old. As kids grow up they out grow their cars just like a pare of pants. That makes it cheap on the family because there are alot of good used cars out there. Stay away from the real fast cars because a rookie driver is limited on how fast they can go. Unless you only plan on running at George Ray's. The kids can compete up to 16yrs old. There are alot of grand parents spectating at jr races.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. That my Grandson. he just turned 5 he has two younger Brothers aged 4 and three. When they are here the follow me everyplace and crawl all over all the hoard. We are at present working on Go Karts.

loudbang, mad mikey and Gammz like this.
  7. I hope this deal works out. Its a crap shoot in the Spring because we can have lots of rain in a short time. And George Rays is low ground and the Sunday races have been flooded out a few times.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Ottomotive

Ottomotive
    from Arkansas

The summer of 1962 my two brothers and I raced our 31 Chrysler there. At that time George paid the top eliminator of the day. We won it several times. It was B Gas and ran high 12's. That summer we did good until Junior Garrison showed up with his 40 Wicked Willys. We had great times there. Coyote1.jpg

Stogy, AHotRod, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  9. badvolvo

badvolvo

I would love to attend, but it's too far to drive unless we have pre-registration. If you choose to go the pre-registration route, I'm in. 59 Corvette or 40 coupe.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Is that a tin indian mill in the 31?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, and that sure looks like a tri-power air cleaner too. If that was a ‘59 or ‘60 engine it could have been the 425A rated at 348 HP, the smaller cammed 3-2 engine was 318 HP.

Old wolf and loudbang like this.
  12. Automotive that's a very cool pic. The 31 cm-6 coupe is very rare. Other than my own I have only seen one other. To see another and hot rodded on top of it is extra special. The standard opening doors and one piece windshield tell me it's a 31-early 32. They made the model like this for 16 months. At the height of the depression only roughly 35,000 mopars were made across 36 body styles. Not many were even made and out of that very few survived. To think two of them being hot rodded and raced at George Ray's is crazy. Do you have more pics?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  13. The date is Sunday Sunday Sunday may 19th at George Ray's. See jets; rockets; funny cars; pro stocks; wheelstanders; benny's the bomb and the kite cycle. Be there. Remember those radio ads?
    At this time there is no pre registration. I'm not a event promoter and dont want the bs and work of one. The track at this time doesn't pre register. It's a small track that never had a reason to. Im running my car there on that weekend and just inviting others to join me for a wild day at a fun track. I'm only spear heading the idea of a gathering of vintage iron to gather on that weekend at that track. I'm not taking any money. I'm not making t-shirts; hats; mugs; posters or anything else. I just want to have guys run their cars like they did years ago. Tyler has not had a turn away crowd yet. The track can handle 200 cars. On average they get 75 cars. That gives us plenty of room I would think. If more than 100 hamb cars showed up I would be very surprised. The only advertising is by word of mouth and this site. I will reach out to Tyler and see what he would do if more cars showed up than we expect. I will post his reply as soon as I get it. It's a delicate issue regarding the car count. If only a few cars show up we wont get our own day next year. If 500 cars show up then there will be guys upset if they dont get in. Thats why its low key. While I think this could be a up and coming next big thing I really dont think the first year will be anything like the huge meltdown events.
    To answer some other comments yes it's being held in the late spring and for a few reasons. The first is it gets crazy hot down there after June. I have raced in that heat and no one has much fun in that.
    Another reason is the other events during the summer. I dont want to conflict with the other established races. I cant put the date on the week before or after any of the larger nostalgia events. Most guys wont travel back to back weekends. This narrows it down to the spring for me. I'm too busy with drag week in the late summer. As far as rain is concerned it can rain on any day ending with a y. Any out door event can get rained out. If it does I will go back another day. I will take the possibility of rain over the guarantee of Arkansas summer heat any day.

swade41, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I wish ALL you guys the best, and to be safe in competition! I personally, have NO WAY of ever making it to George Ray's or one of these events, but if you're there, take and post the photos please so we can all live vicariously through yourselves.. Hope the SIL adds guard walls, more amenities, and puts this place on the map! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I still like the idea, and at this point I am in, but have a lot to do on my truck, and I will be away from home for 45 days. I need to talk to G-force, and SCAT, at PRI, so I have parts when I get home to put stuff back together. When t-shirts, hats, mugs, and posters get made I want one Brian, I think you are the man for the job, with all your free time.:D
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  16. Your a funny guy tony.
    To everyone.
    George Ray's is the anti establishment track. I had several long conversations with George prior to his passing about how he felt about racing today.. I feel I should honor the way he felt about them. Things will be different from what's being force fed to the racers at events at other places. George felt and always said the spectators pay the way here. You cant over charge them. That's why it's so cheap to get in. Not taking it in the ass for over 100 dollars will be a welcome change for the racers and families. There will be no sponsors. There's no overhead so I dont need them. That way every inch of the property wont have banners zip tied to everything in site. There wont be goodie bags filled with worthless junk for you to throw away when you get home How many jegs and summit catalogs; pens and stickers do you really need? There will be no power parking. If you want a shady spot under a tree then get up early or bring your own shade. There will be no one directing you to park in a designated area. I will have a sign with a arrow pointing to where the hamb cars should park. There will be no pin up contest. They have plenty of cute girls walking around already without having to stop the action to look at them. This is a race track with a race being held so there will be no cackle cars. There will be no live bands booked in. It competes with the sounds coming out of the headers. There will be no need to complain about track prep because there isn't any. If you want extra traction if you feel you need it bring some of your own rosin or vht. Its perfectly fine to prep your own lane. Your welcome to drive your cool car in if your spectating but dont expect a special place up front to show it off. There will be no collectors items being sold other than the few things the track sells out of plastic tubs on a picnic table. Because there wont be all the things I mentioned above it makes this place perfect for a vintage race. If you have grown accustomed to these kinds of things over the years and cant do without them there are plenty of other events being held at other tracks. The focus here is on the people; racers; cars and the track. The way it's been going in on since George first built it. He would roll over in his grave if that stuff was brought into his track. I can still see his face as he told me we cant have those kinds of things here. No wont have it.
    When you look back at the way things really happened back in the day none of those things I mentioned were going on. Go out on a limb and experience racing in its purest form. Two cars going head to head without any extra crap causing a distraction.

egads, ottoman, PBRmeASAP and 5 others like this.
  17. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Sounds perfect to me! (As a spectator) No B.S. just rac’n.

loudbang likes this.
  18. afaulk

afaulk

I had followed George and the track for several years and just happened to be in the area so I stopped at the John Deere dealership on the main highway as I was passing thru. I went inside and asked the first guy I saw where the track is. The fellow said "George Ray is my father-in-law and if you'll go down that road just across the highway there, you'll see an older white house on the left...….the track is just down the driveway behind the house". Well I went and knocked n the back door. It's a country thing LOL. Mr. Ray came to the door and we talked for a bit. He invited me in, gave me a hat, wouldn't take any money and he tried to autograph it at my request but his vision had failed to the point that it was almost impossible for him. We said our goodbyes and I went down alone for a tour of the facility. Truly it was a walk back in time. A few months after my visit I was saddened to hear of his passing. If you're going, soften up your suspension and dont plan on setting records but plan on having a great time with great folks.

Gammz likes this.
  19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

If a long hauler arrives Saturday evening, is there a place to park? Might have to research the nearest Campground, Truck stop, or Walmart to park until morning.

rocketsled59, loudbang and PBRmeASAP like this.
  20. I spoke to chuck jolliff today about some of the concerns here. tyler is on the road delivering camping trailers right now. he will be getting ahold of me soon to address them. chucky did say there have been a few times campers have stayed over night. this may be a option. keep in mind there are no amenities. he also said the record number of cars ever was 181 some years ago. I should also mention the track runs classes heads up. there is no bracket racing.

loudbang, Tickety Boo and Gammz like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

22. I hope to get my entire tribe to attend that day. Now to decide which vehicle to bring. Most likely my 55 wagon.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  23. Ottomotive

Ottomotive
    from Arkansas

The 31CM was a good choice for a hot rod. Larger and heavier than a Ford. We were kids and it was safer. Big heavy frame and plenty of room for a big V8. I drove it to high school with a 55 Plymouth V8. My dad owned the service station we worked for our keep and build hot rods. The local police gave us a city street to drag race on along with police and fire protection. We charged $.50 admission. That included pit and race anyone you wanted to. We grew up good. It was a big deal on Sunday afternoon. B Gas had a CID limit to weight. About 10 pounds per cubic inch. With the Pontiac at 370 it hit on the edge of A Gas. In those days A Gas was unlimited so the Chrysler had on chance there. Too heavy. A larger Pontiac would have been easy but we wanted to be legal. We put McKellar #10 heads and cam kit in it with six Rochester 2's and Jahns pop up pistons, it got fast for the time. George Ray invited us to come race with them. I do wish I had a picture of us at George's track. I still have the car. 31 Chrysler 1.jpg

Stogy, winduptoy, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  24. wow that was going to be my next question. what ever happened to it. can you bring it to the event? Im open to parking original cars that raced at this track in a separate area. georges roadster is still owned by the family. they would look cool together.

loudbang likes this.
  25. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

This sounds like it is going to be like Mokan, and I had a blast there. MY only decision is do I trailer my truck or drive it and take chances. I guess time will tell.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  26. Wow! Please remind us of the event as it gets closer. I can't wait to see all of y'all there! Nick

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  27. I talked to Tyler tonight. He is very excited about opening up his track for us. We went over several things. I have listed a few of those topics below. I had to cut the conversation short do to a emergency patient coming in at work. We will talk again soon.
    No one will be turned away. No pre registration needed. The days racing program will be modified if needed to accommodate the extra cars.
    Camping on site is permitted. You can show up any time or day
    We will have our own designated parking area.
    You can race for fun or enter the money program. The trophy program was eliminated years ago.
    Friday night racing is something relatively new there. We are welcome to participate.
    The fire burnouts are a go.

Some of the things I want to cover in the next discussion.
    Can we do flag starts?
    Can we do photo ops on the starting line?
    Can we run together as a group?
    Can I get contact info for local hotels?
    If anyone has questions they can ask them here or PM me. I will get a answer asap. Tyler wants to go out of his way to accommodate us. This is shaping up to be a cool event.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  28. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I will be there clicking pics and bringing one or both of my cars. 20181018_154043.jpeg 22219570_950411061766228_223039631_o.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J327P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

racer-x, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Ok Ok when is the trash talk and callouts going to begin? :)

30. There wasn't any trash talk at that track that I ever witnessed. They got right down to buisiness. The cash came out and the race was on. The action on a money race is something else. The water burnouts followed by vht burnouts topped off by multiple dry hops gets the crowd pumped up. I have some videos I will post soon.

loudbang likes this.