Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest unsweet T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Nov 12, 2018.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Thought I'd share the story on my '27 coupe. Its not and never will be a hot rod but figured people would get a kick out of seeing a model t in its natural state. My dad build a '26 coupe hot rod and that got me interested in model T's. For some reason I got really hooked on having an original one for myself. I found this one on craigslist that had sat in a barn since the early 90s (basically for my entire life haha). The older gentlemen was very strict about it only being sold to somebody who would restore it. I'll post more pics of progress made as I get time....

First time in daylight for over two decades
    20150102_144544.jpg

The day after bringing it home. Who doesn't sit in their newly acquired basket case like its ready to drive? 20150110_145912.jpg

BigDogSS, chessterd5, slim38 and 11 others like this.
  2. cool, three pedals and none of them is the gas pedal.........takes practice to drive one.

HOTRODPRIMER and Tim like this.
  3. Latigo

Latigo

Really nice find. They don't all need to be hot rods. Have fun!

scotty t likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are upgrades that can be made without modifying appearance

5. Super clean find.....don't forget about the ford barn if you need parts or guidance on a stocker.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! That may be a 1926 without the headlight bar. I bought a pair of NOS front bumper brackets at Hershey and flipped them. I've always thought the bumpers and wire wheels made them look so much nicer. Good luck with it. Bob

7. Nice coupe!
    Guy here locally has one that looks bone stock....but has a flat V8/3 spd under the full hood.
    Just sayin....

8. Be sure and keep the old gent updated as you get it road ready.And take him for a ride or two.
    Welcome.

RMONTY likes this.
  9. SOHC427

SOHC427

I love T's. Have 3 coupes, and none started as nice as yours!! Wire Wheels, Ta Boot. Glad you're keeping kit stock!

Attached Files:

BigDogSS and PIECRUST&RUST like this.
  10. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

What Im shocked. No matter have fun and then maybe eventually you might want to add some parts to make the old girl roll along a bit faster.

11. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I bought a 27 Tudor a few years ago. It was supposedly in the same family since day one. It was too small for me so it was sold. I wish I kept it! P1011380.JPG

12. Between that one and the Studebaker you recently posted, you've got a lot happening. Great to see someone as young as yourself getting interested in cars that were made long before your time. Keep us posted (pun intended)! :D

Mike

13. 2935ford

2935ford

Tall T's are cool! :)

14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Very nice Coupe. I have a coupe titled as a '26 that has a few things that lead me to believe it is a late '27. I believe yours is a '26 as The 37 Kid said earlier. The '26 came out without the headlight bar clear across. Sometime in the mid '26 production run, they changed to the full bar. I don't think they were too careful with build dates on the titles back then. Here's mine when it rolled into my shop. Not as bad as it looks. You are starting in a better place.
    It is good to see young'uns interested in the old iron. Have fun. IMG_1288.JPG

PIECRUST&RUST likes this.
  15. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I got one that was a hot rod, and was given up for dead. If I didn't buy it, it was headed to the scraper. It look good, till you really start to look at it. I have replace most every thing on it, It could be but back on a stock frame to be stock, But, I built a frame with a 2x4 327 with a 200r4, and model A axle, and a 9" rear end.
    But I am going to get a stocker, I would really like to get a roadster pickup, stock to drive around in. I am on the Model T forum, they only like to talk about stock cars, even though some have a hotrod of type.

I will be watching this thread. Good luck with it.

Picture of the body when I got mine, and now.
    Pat

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Only 'T' I haven't had, a '26-'27 T Coupe! Had all the rest, but the Coupe was the one I wanted most.
    Stock bodied, 'A' frame (or rec. tube) and flathead V8, Ford banjo rear. Steel wheels, bug-n-littles, and exhagerated 'rubber rake'...
    There were two in San Jose, 1958, a red one and a black one, identical but for color.
    Black one belonged to a member of the 'Jousters', got a '57 'Vette mill transplanted, lost it in the rain, ran up on a curb and hit a house, over on River St. Killed the driver, totalled the T. Regretted seeing that...

17. dwollam

dwollam

Wire wheels were optional in '26, standard in '27. Those add about $1000 in value to a T. (Hubs and wheels). Does it have a Ruckstell 2 speed rear end? That would add another $1000-1500. If it doesn't have a Ruckstell, you will want to get one. Makes them so much more drivable. Also a "Z" high compression head. Makes a HUGE difference in power with no ill effects.

Dave

18. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

I'm not certain if mine really is a 26 or 27, hard to tell with spare parts being swapped out over the years. I did put a headlight bar on it though, I think it looks better with it. I wrote a letter to the older gentleman I bought the car from after I first drove it and he wrote back saying he was thrilled. Had some time to post some more pics. (this car is actually almost finished as of now but the long build up is just too much fun haha)

found a 1923 engine on craigslist, believe it or not it came home in the back of a PT cruiser, cherry picker barely cleared. I do well without having a truck.
    20150315_154534.jpg

here she is cooling off after my first ever time driving a T (sept of 2015) Krylon red wheels, super cool moto meter with wings, no hood, no floor, no windows, unlimited fun. I had never been so scared in my life driving a car. Everything was so unfamiliar yet made since in how simple it was.
    20150912_181153.jpg

chessterd5 likes this.
  19. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Found a proper nickel grill shell at the salina swap meet and got the top and visor kit from macs. Doing the proper wood bows seemed like too much work so ended up just using a piece of plywood for the material to go over.
    20151121_163224.jpg
    20151121_162651.jpg

35cab, vtx1800 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It's beautiful! Enjoy it any way you want.

21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Those three pedals are hard to get used to! Aren't they? Three pedals and none of them are the throttle. First time I drove one I thought I was gonna die.

22. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

yeah, Its funny how a 20 hp glorified horse carriage can give you just a thrill as a powerful hot rod. In a panic you reflex to what you know in a normal car. I am going to start avoiding traffic lights if I can. Stock model T brakes are not great and not enough power to speed through a changing light. Its a blast going 20 mph on a brick road in an old neighborhood though. Time travel is in fact possible haha

23. all you need to know if something goes wrong is to pull back on the "shift" lever.