Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one go camping during the winter months?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2018.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

No reason to not have fire...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. What's camping without a fire? HRP

flatheadpete likes this.
  3. Camping: the art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beverage, hot shower and flush toilet. HRP

4. When you are watching someone and you can't let them know your there.

RECON.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and flatheadpete like this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Camping: pretending to be homeless.

HOTRODPRIMER and warhorseracing like this.
  6. Actually that's pretty close to what I heard. HRP

Camping, Where You Spend A Small Fortune To Live Like The Homeless.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ahhh. I see said the blind man.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 59Tele

59Tele

My first house in Maine we referred to as "The Wooden Tent". It was a circa 1800 post&beam Cape that was "renovated" around WWI judging by the plumbing and electrical fixtures. No insulation of any sort, no storm doors or windows, a cheap sheet-metal woodstove and that was it. We kept a broom handle in the bathroom to crack the ice in the toilet every morning. O/A torch-set kept in the basement to thaw pipes twice a day. The record low inside the house was 22 degrees F one morning. Around the end of March/early April if we got up and it was 40 in the house and 45 outside we'd eat breakfast on the back steps rather than take the time to restart the fire. Good times.

9. My hat is off to you, I stay at home next to the fireplace and a hot cop of coffee when the snow flies. HRP

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Used to enjoy camping when I was growing up in Fl.Now,with all the creepy crawlies there ain`t no way.What with the rock pythons and big boa constrictors up to 16/18 feet long and as big around as your thigh and up to 100 lbs and more.NO THANKS.Not to mention alleged COBRA sightings.I might be crazy,but I ain`t stupid as the old saying goes.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Antbody go camping in the Winter months?" I don't think so - I've had my down sleeping bag for sale cheap on C/L several times with no bites.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Might want to throw that in the DD for any long distance winter driving adventures. Could come in handy.

flatheadpete and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Your killing me HRP, your average snowfall has to be an inch or two tops.;) I was in Wilmington NC during a snow storm once. Maybe an inch on the grass, thought the whole city was going to shut down. Everyone was taking pictures.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I would be more worried about tripping over a box of uncounted ballots in the dark.;)

TagMan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Yup, its called deer camp (cabin) in which you dont spend much of the time in said warm cabin but instead sitting on a metal mesh chair up in a tree facing into the wind so the deer dont smell you.

We will do bonfires down at the river all winter but not staying out there all night man.

wraymen and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Also keep in mind water moccasins and the effects of coming across someone's " agricultural endeavor " out in the middle of nowhere.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. We really don't have much snow but we certainly have a lot of extremely cold weather, when we do have snow it's accompanied with freezing rain and sleet,then a covering of snow.

I can drive on snow but not on ice, I have a neighbor that moved here from up north and loved making fun of us about driving in the snow, the first ice storm we had after he moved here he backed out of his driveway slid across the road, clipped two small trees and slid into the lake in a brand new Cadillac, it seems even he can't drive in snow in South Carolina.

Our snow removal equipment is better than it was ehrn I was in my teens, the biggest event I remember was in 1971 and we had 10" of snow and it did stop everything for several days with the temperatures in the twenty's and we were without power for 6 days.

I ain't camping in weather like that. HRP

wraymen likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I would argue "no you don't".

South Carolina: "Coastal areas of the state have very mild winters with high temperatures averaging about 60 °F (16 °C) and overnight lows close to 38 °F (3 °C). Further inland in the Piedmont, temperatures average between 50 °F (10 °C) during the day and 32 °F (0 °C) at night."

It does look like you guys had a -20° F temp one day way back in 1985. Those temps is fairly routine for days on end in the midwest and intermountain west on the high plains. Not trying to dickwave but thems the facts.

One thing a lot of people don't appreciate about cold weather, it's easier to stay alive in a survival situation in below freezing temperatures. Frostbite is a concern of course. The reason though, is because everything generally stays dry. With the proper clothing and equipment, winter camping isn't bad at all.

But get the temps just above freezing, with temps in the 30s and 40s - high winds and lots of rain, soaked through clothes, most people will remember that and swear they were never so cold and miserable in their entire life.

Search & Rescue looking for lost hikers probably bear this out. People set out on the mountain trail on a nice sunny day in only shorts and a T-shirt, the afternoon thunderstorms roll up and the rain comes down, and they are in serious trouble. I bet more people die of hypothermia above freezing than below freezing.

HOTRODPRIMER and wraymen like this.
  19. 59Tele

59Tele

Absolutely. I once rode home from a cookout in early Oct along the coast in southern Maine (Falmouth to Eliot for you woobers) and it was around 70 degrees as the sun was going down and I was never so cold in my life. I'd stopped at a yardsale and bought a heavy cotton shirt on the way up thinking it may be a little cool going home. Spent 2 hours in a HOT bath when I got home.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I've been up north when the temperatures were in the teens and I was told that it was a dry cold with low humidity, we seem to have a lot of cold rain,just hovering above freezing.

Our neighbor says he has been colder in South Carolina that he ever was in Michigan. HRP

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  21. Move up here....-40 to -50 Celsius on our cold days. I’ve seen - 60.....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

We got our first real snowfall last night...it's only and inch or so but I'm ready!!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Just read an article about a trapper in Fl that just caught a 16`6in Burmese Python that weighed in at 100+pounds.Would NOT like that for a bed mate.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. That kinda cold would kill a Southern boy like me! :D HRP

wraymen likes this.
  25. Awe hell you get used to it! We had a group of kids camp out Saturday night as part of our annual Remembrance Day field trip. We haven’t hit our coldest part of year yet so it only got down to about -15c

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Can you eat them like rattle snake?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D From what I understand--------YES.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Tastes like chicken.:)

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just looked at google maps for your town...You're WAY up there!

HOTRODPRIMER and wraymen like this.
  30. yup! we are a ways north...