Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest David Pearson passed away today - November 12

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 12, 2018.

1. David Pearson, often refereed to as the Silver Fox, was a Pioneer in NASCAR and made a huge impression on me as a kid, He was a upstate South Carolina native and was a three time champion.

He was a good man and leaves hundreds of friends behind. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    flat 39, delray57, TFoch and 16 others like this.
  2. verde742

verde742

so sorry lost yer friend..:(

3. He will be missed. He was great competitor.

sidevalve8ba, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

4. i remember a race back when i was a kid, he crashed fighting for the lead in the final corner and was able to win the race with the wrecked car. i think it was a crash with Petty?

5. ^Called the greatest race in history at the time. Off topic by a few years. Just posting in his honor. Two of the best that ever raced.

dan31, 550Coupe, alanp561 and 8 others like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

He was a real racer, and one of the best. You had to beat him as he damn sure was going to fight you as long as the car would still roll.And yes, he and Richard Petty spun each other off into the infield at Daytona. but Pearson kept his running and drove the crippled car across the finish line to a win.

7. robracer1

robracer1

Pearson was and is one of my heroes, he is second in all time nascar wins with a 105 and most of his driving career he drove part time

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember as a wee young'un hearing that name and many others on Wide World of Sports...It is interesting as well that many of these Greats started out driving the Jalopy Racers.

Condolences to the Pearson Family and friends on the passing of David.

Regards,
    Stogy

9. One of my early NASCAR heroes. He and the Woods brothers were awesome.

charleyw and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Met him at a Ford show at Atlanta Motor Speedway in about 06 or 07. He was sitting with the white Mercury Cyclone he ran I think for the Wood Bros. Most folks were just passing him by, but I recognized him and struck up a conversation about the Cyclone and how different NASCAR is now. We talked probably 15 minutes or longer and I didn’t even think to ask him for an autograph. Condolences to his family.

Deuces, tractorguy, robracer1 and 2 others like this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Used to watch him as a kid .. when Nascar still had big blocks and Hemi's ..Godspeed David Pearson.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends & fans

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear he is gone and that you lost a friend. He was the first big name driver in NASCAR that I could remember watching.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Wow!!! I remember being at the Henry Ford museum at the restaurant and his crew sat down next to us still in their pit crew uniforms. Petty and Pearson had some great battles on the round rounds. Wood Brothers and Pearson had a storied relationship. As an unrelated side note my Dad was offered a crew position with Juney Donleavey and as some of you guys probably knew Juney was racing in Nascar before, during g and after David was racing in the top division.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A great memory for you .:cool:

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

He was cool as a cucumber.Ironic i was looking at some old short track Pics today of the All Pro series.Had some shots of him in his Short track camaro racing here in Bama./Tn. area. He had a cigarette lighter in his cup car, if i remember right.One of the best.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad day to learn of his passing. Back when he and Petty raced against each other I seldom missed a Nascar race on TV and now I seldom watch one all the way though.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Rest in peace David...... :(

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Sad news indeed. He was one of the best to ever do it. Often over-shadowed by Petty and his 7 titles, I've always felt David Pearson was a better driver. JMHO. And my "viewer" experience goes back to when you had to hope to catch the races on the radio. I was at Daytona for the 500 in 1979 when CBS finally did flag to flag coverage on broadcast TV. I was a Fred Lorenzen fan in the 60's, but I always rooted for Pearson over Petty.

47ragtop, charleyw, wraymen and 6 others like this.
  20. Condolences to his freinds and family. Thank you David for all the childhood memories you will be missed, but not forgotten.....

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and robracer1 like this.
  21. 3340

Sad day for nascar fans!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Race for race, he was probably the best driver of his time. Another one of the few who were unfazed by the summer heat and were still crisp at the end of the race. He didn't always run every single race like the others did, but would be up there in the points. He had 105 wins, behind Petty who raced a whole lot more and had 200.

23. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My condolences to his family and friends; sure seems like he has many with wonderful memories

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto. Got hooked as a 12 year old, my dad and I went to Atlanta 500 and Dixie 500 every year starting in 1965. Man I miss the old NASCAR, when they really were slightly modified stock cars, not the cookie-cutters they are today (have pretty much lost all interest in NASCAR). The Woods Brothers pit crew really got your attention in those days, just a cut above everyone else, and their cars were formidable. Some drivers also really stood out, Curtis Turner, Fastback Freddie, Cale Yarborough, but Petty and Pearson were in a class by themselves. RIP

25. I remember Benny Parsons talking about racing David Pearson at Rockingham. Benny said he was up on the wheel giving it everything he had racing side by side with David and looked over and David was casually lighting a cigarette as they went down the backstretch. RIP. Condolences to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. David Pearson & Richard Petty share first & second place wins in 63 races, Petty was quoted, "Pearson could beat you on a short track, he could beat you on a superspeedway, he could beat you on a road course, he could beat you on a dirt track. It didn't hurt as bad to lose to Pearson as it did to some of the others, because I knew how good he was."

Pearson said of Petty: "I always felt that if I beat him I beat the best, and I heard he said the same thing about me."

HRP

dan31, mountainman2, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  27. He was one of my favorites back in the day when NASCAR was actually a stock car racing circuit. I quit following NASCAR in the 70s but David Pearson and Fred Lorenzen were my heroes when I was growing up. Sad when we lose our heroes.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.