Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just wondering about fuel line size for my RPU
    Tim McMaster built
    309 warmed up Y block with 3 new Stromberg 97s.
    The Stromberg’s take 1/4” fuel line and I’m going to run a mechanical fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator.

My concern is the size of the fuel line I’ll run from the tank to the fuel pump.

If the line from the fuel pump to the fuel block and then to the carbs is 1/4”, is there any advantage to running 5/16” fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump?

Or, would the entire system run in 1/4” make more sense and supply enough fuel?
    We’re not talking high pressure or flow etc.

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I always run a size larger before the pump, always done it that way. My current car is getting 3/8" from tank to pump (my pump has 3/8" NPT fittings) and 5/16 from pump to carb (my carb has 5/16" inlet). 1/4" should work OK for a small displacement engine, that's what most had from the factory. I'm just more comfortable with the next bigger line in front of the pump.
    SPark

loudbang likes this.
  3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Bigger is better also for keeping the larger volume of gas cooler.........................................

loudbang likes this.
  4. i have always wondered about that. if the line is big it would move through the line slower, sitting in one place longer. smaller it would move quicker and be replenished with cooler fuel from the tank. not arguing, i just always had that thought in the back of my mind. of course, a return line makes that mute.

loudbang likes this.

5. Let's do this in an "if then" style question and answer

If 1 carb requires 1/4 fuel line ,,,
    Then how big of a fuel line does 3 carbs require?

If the Area of .25 line is .049
    Then .049 x3 = the requirements of the main line feeding 3 branches.

.049x3 = .147
    3/8 line area is .111
    1/2" line area is .196

You can look up some fluid flow charts too.

3/8 would "probably" be enough
    1/2" if you plan on max effort WOT driving

wackdaddy and loudbang like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I think you might want to consider that the ID of 1/4" fuel line is pretty small.

I'd run 5/16" in this application. If it were a bigger engine with a decent size carb on it, then 3/8" might be called for, but most car makers got away with using 5/16" line on almost all small block engines for years.

brad2v, deathrowdave and dana barlow like this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'd suggest 5/16 from tank to pump, and 5/16 again from the pump to the fuel distribution block. Then 1/4 to each carb.

If you think you (or the next guy) might want 400ish hp, now would be a good chance to run 3/8 from the tank.

Blue One likes this.
  8. carbking

carbking

Regardless of the number of carburetors, the engine is going to use a certain amount of fuel.

Pontiac found 3/8 inch line was sufficient to fuel a 455 H.O. for all street use.

And as posted by others, many small blocks came with 5/16 inch.

If you use 3/8 inch, would highly suggest the use of the return line, as the larger line will cause the fuel to run slower and absorb more engine heat. The return line will help cool the fuel.

Jon.

9. 3/8 line is what you want for a streeter. Your pump doesn't have to work as hard and the bigger line acts like a reservoir. You will always have fuel on tap.

Here's is a little story. My old racin buddy started out with a big block dart that he street raced and sometimes grudge night at the local track. He was starving on the big end and what we did was up size the fuel line to 1/2 from 5/16 from the tank. No special pump, not trick anything just a bigger line and it solved his problem.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So far I think I like this suggestion the best for my application using the 5/16" from the tank.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/8th to and from the regulator, 3/8's to the filter, 3/8ths to the carb distribution block. Then I knock it down to the individual carbs. Everything SS other than the final Russell braided nylon line from firewall to fuel block on blower. Probably overkill but that never stopped me.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  12. Stick with the bigger line,I assume you will be running a fuel pressure regulator and that will control the amount of gas getting to the carburetors. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

3/8ths on my sbc powered 32 sedan. Also ran a return line if i ever changed to fuel injection. DSC02788.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Larger size on the supply side to the pump is standard practice for pumps of all types. I'd go with 3/8" from tank to pump, 5/16" from pump to regulator/filter/fuel log, from there you could leave it at 5/16", or step it down to 1/4". Smaller diameter line is easier to bend if you're going to get fancy with it.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've had no problems using the stock 5/16" line to feed my 351W.

loudbang likes this.
  16. nobux

nobux

Go 3/8". No one ever said "I wish my fuel line was smaller."

17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

On the mid 60's chevys the 348 and small blocks got 5/16" line and tank unit. The 409 got 3/8 ".:)

loudbang and blowby like this.
  18. Sure A 5/16 line will feed a fuel block with 3 outlets at 1/4" sure it will, but not well.

Look at the ID of the fittings being used because you'll get no more fuel that can pass thru that fitting- that will be the flow limiting orifice in the line. Don't matter if you have 4" line feeding that fittings ID

loudbang likes this.
  19. Dave 39

Dave 39

20. Dave 39

Dave 39

The word that you want here at the end of your sentence is ''moot''. A very useful word. Dave

21. Only as good as your smallest fitting before the pump.......ah someone beat met to it. I would run 5/16" IF your smallest fitting ID is the same.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Speaking of fittings, it's worth comparing different ones from your big ol' box of fittings because some will have larger drilled holes than others, even if they are nominally the same fitting.

You can drill the holes larger in some cases, but you have to use judgment in how far to go without getting the walls too thin.

Elcohaulic and blowby like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All good info guys keep it going. After consultation with a rodding buddy today I’m leaning towards 3/8 from the tank to the pump and then 5/16 to the regulator and the log, then from the log it will be 1/4 to each carb.

All ni cop lines.

Bandit Billy and Blues4U like this.
  24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Man, I wish my fuel line was smaller.

25. This was a very useful thread for me - I'm busy with an almost identical 3x2 Y-Block set up.

Did you eventually figure out the fuel line sizes and how did it turn out?

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Graham Hood likes this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

3/8" supply, 1/4" return.. With todays moisture sucking gas, a return is almost mandatory.. Just tee off the port feeding the carburetor and run back to the tank in 1/4"..

28. oj

oj

It isn't the amount of carburetors, it is the HP of the engine. You could have a 300HP with a single 2 barrel or 6 - 2bbls and the fuel requirement will be the same.
    An important consideration is what fittings do you want to use? If you are going brass/steel and 'inverted flare' then I'd run 5/16ths. If you wanted make it easier I'd go with 3/8ths to use -AN fittings, you can transition from 3/8ths to 5/16ths and transition from Inverted Flare to -AN but those fittings are hard to come by and it'd take 2 or 3 different mfgrs inventories (ie, Aeroquip, Fragola & Red Horse) to complete the system.
    I am trying to get the stuff to make the 1/4 & 5/16ths woven hoses with crimped fittings like from the '50s but I'm not there yet.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Check out my build thread, I used all inverted flare and some 5/16 " compression fittings I ordered from Stromberg.

I used the proper fittings and the 2 short pieces of rubber hose I used special fuel injection hose ( for ethanol ) and crimped sleeves so no hose clamps.
    Nice and clean and neat.

Bandit Billy and oj like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Perfect! And Clive sells all the fitting chromed or polished for those that so desire.