Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 16" clark artillery wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Oct 1, 2016.

1. I came across a set of these with the split rims. Ford pattern. I can buy them but need a fair price for the deal. Also these look like there was some chrome at some point? Anyone know what these looked like new?

Thanks

2. what they look like

Attached Files:

3. Is that a cast iron center?
    Dodge truck, perhaps?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. F&J

F&J

If you mean the spokes were chromed? The only antique car I can think of would be around 1932 Studebaker, perhaps the more expensive models like President. But I doubt they were still using outer lock ring then, like many cars did around 1930 on wire wheels.

If you don't get an answer here, try posting on aaca.org, look at their forum list for where it says: ""what is it". 31Dodger on here may know too, as he is great with old parts ID on both sites.

5. F&J

F&J

One more thing; is the rim width wider than that Ford 36-39 wheel in pic? Right round 32 or so, was a short era of wheel/tire companies making "Jumbo" or "Air wheel" type balloon tires with custom size chromed spoke wheels.

These were smaller rim OD, but wider rim compared to the 18" of most 32 cars. I do not recall one with split rim, and I don't know if they were 16"...some were less I thought.

6. noboD

noboD

F&J, Jumbo Giant was my first thought too.

7. F&J

F&J

But what rim size were the different companies making?

I never owned any of the many different brands and never heard of Clark branded?

I thought some were crazy small rim diameter, like 14 and perhaps 15? Very odd for the early 30s, and very wide, too. The width of these, normally makes a person think they came from the 1950s if you did not see them before

8. Wonder why they have a lock ring? They appear to be drop center wheels

9. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 8.36.39 AM.png

These Clark wheels were made for Firestone. In the early 1930's the tire companies wanted to move to lower and wider tires. A set of wheels was necessary to go along with these tires, as the originals from the auto manufactures were unsuitable. On Fords the hub cap resembled the ones on General Jumbos, but without the General emblem. The spokes were chrome plated, I believe that the snap rings were cad plated. The removable rings are not split. They are made in a continuous circle with a pair of notches that allow them clearance to slide over a ridge on the wheel to secure the tire sidewall.

10. You have them pegged. What is a reasonable range for them? buying them from a friend of my Dad and want to do right by him

11. Clark

Clark

A restored set was at hershey a couple of years ago. They were priced around $1000. I've got a couple of the wheels but no caps.

12. F&J

F&J

With new chromed parts and caps...that guy wasn't getting tons of profit...seems quite fair for the guy who wants as set.

13. Anybody got a color shot of these wheels redone?

14. F&J

F&J

Quick net peek: called "Firestone Air Balloon" Wheels. BUT, none have lockrings????

images.jpg iiiij.jpg imagesNW1L8ANA.jpg untitled.png

15. I think I like the red with chrome spokes. Picked up a hubcap, gonna try to buy them and fix them up

bct likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

They're clean, and the bolt pattern is desirable, but the fact that they have the lock ring on them makes me think they're not going to be real valuable to most people. And they would be very difficult to find matches to. Plus they weigh a TON. If you've got a use for just a pair, $100 seems fair, maybe $200 tops.

17. Sorry for the confusion. He has 5 of them!

18. Squablow

Squablow

That's way different. Maybe $500 or $600 if they're all nice and useable?

19. Bought the set today. Now to figure finish and hubcaps...

IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3159.JPG

biggeorge likes this.
  20. More photo's after blasting. Found a definite reference to being Clark Firestone wheels.

Attached Files:

Runnin shine and 302GMC like this.
  21. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Congratulations on the purchase. General Jumbo caps for the 14 inch wheels will fit and are easier to find than the Firestone caps. They look like those in post from F&J, but the wheels he shows are 15 and 16 inch and have a larger cap. Please post if you find a way to chrome the spokes, I see no way to separate the spokes from the rims as they seem to be dimpled together.

22. My plan is to do them all in a solid color for now. I imagine with the advances in powder coating I could get a close match with a chrome powder coat and I believe they could do the separation in color. That said, I think they look like they were originally all chrome.

23. great looking wheels, good luck with what ever you do with them.

24. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I have a set on a 33 Ford Tudor that I don't want .Have 2 hubcaps.Problem is the car is on its way to France now.Couldn't find anyone interested before I shipped the car.Shipping the wheels back to USA would be a killer.Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

25. Elrod

Elrod

I picked up three of these wheels at the last Pate swap meet. They are Firestone made by Budd. These are not Clarks. They have the lock ring on them, all three have the hubcaps and are very nice shape. Here are some pictures of the markings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUDD - Made In USA
    [​IMG]

patent
    [​IMG]

bct and Cosmo49 like this.
  26. how big is the center hole on yours and what does the rear of the hubcap look like?

27. Been a slow process, but here they are mocked up. I had the painter match the accent color on the car.

Attached Files:

Hnstray, Cosmo49, Elrod and 2 others like this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Look great!

Bones

29. That 750 looks awful big, but we will see where we are inflated.

30. I found a pair of these recently. Badly rusted but I likem anyway. Have them hanging on the shop to store the water and air hose.

As I was blasting them, appears the spokes where plated and rims seem to have been painted...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app