Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gopher State Timing Association Documentary in the works

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stichbitch, Nov 12, 2018.

1. stichbitch

stichbitch

I wanted to make a announcement of a project I am working on with a few other people. We are working on a documentary about Gopher State Timing Association. Gopher State Timing Association (GSTA) was created in 1954 for the purpose of promoting safe hot rodding. Police Captain Clifford Bailey of Minneapolis reached out to local car clubs, and those car clubs formed GSTA, as hot rodders speeding in the streets had been an ongoing problem. Since the formation there have been over 100 clubs that have belonged to GSTA. To be a member you have to be in a club that belongs to GSTA. In 1956, they had their own car show which is still going today, next year will be the 63rd. In 1959 with the help of GSTA, Minnesota Dragways opened and was run by GSTA members. In 1963, GSTA bought their first association-owned dragster. They have owned 9 drag cars and have had over 80 drivers. GSTA even went on to compete nationally. As we gather information and set up interviews I will post here and there about what we are working on and information we are looking for. Thanks for your support.

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Cool

stichbitch likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Very Kool! I made a pass or two at Minnesota Dragways back in the day. Good times and fond memories of the "Good 'ol Days"

stichbitch likes this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My avatar probably did a few passes

stichbitch likes this.
  6. 6inarow

6inarow

I grew up in Anoka. Will there be any references to the dragstrip there?

stichbitch likes this.
  7. stichbitch

stichbitch

Minnesota Dragways will be part of the documentary if that is what you mean. Jim Cecil who is also working on this documentary has made a documentary about Minnesota Dragways.

Here is a link. http://www.mndragways.com/wp/about-the-documentary/

Chucky and Moriarity like this.
  8. stichbitch

stichbitch

Gopher State Timing Assoc Documentary update: Over the weekend we interviewed Ron Braun, age 81. Ron belonged to the Flywheelers car club formed in 57', shortly after forming the Flywheelers they joined GSTA. One of the first car clubs in the twin cities to allow girls. Ron drove the first 6 of the GSTA Dragsters. He was the main driver for the Twin hemi dragster competing nationally. His wife Shirley is a saint for allowing him to live his racing dream. Pictured are a few of the GSTA dragsters he drove, he was the driver for the wheel stand picture. Ron driving his Corvette with a GSTA queen in 62'. His Corvette also doubled as a push car. Also an article on the Flywheelers from Cars and Clubs magazine from March 59' (Ron and his wife Shirley are in the top left of the club group pic)

Attached Files:

Murphy32, RICH B and Moriarity like this.
  9. stichbitch

stichbitch

I also watched a short film with Ron of the GSTA Twin Hemi Dragster from around 1970. I am working on getting a digital file of it.

10. Interesting! History should be preserved and recorded, kudos to you.
    Many great cars and great racing there!

RRanchero Rick and stichbitch like this.
  11. ken bogren

ken bogren

My brother raced there in the 60s and 70s and I often tagged along.

nochop and stichbitch like this.
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

13. stichbitch

stichbitch

14. stichbitch

stichbitch

image.jpg image.jpg Gopher State Timing Association Documentary update: picked up part of Dave Klegins photo collection to be scanned. Dave was a member of the Overheads car club of St Paul which joined gsta in 56'. Bottom right: Dave and a friend chopping a Merc in his dads yard in 1960. If you have any photos like this or leads on who does of Minnesota hotrodders or events please contact me.

Murphy32, Moriarity and Max Gearhead like this.
  15. stichbitch

stichbitch

6E7E2626-050E-488A-8B95-0DAA7D90B46F.jpeg Update: last weekend we interviewed Marlyn Englert (age 80) and his wife Connie. Marlyn started customizing cars in the fifties. He joined GSTA in 1963 (a member of the Strokers cc) He drove a few of the GSTA dragsters including the GSTA twin. His wife Connie was very involved with planning some of the GSTA queen activities. They were kind enough to give us a pile of pictures and documents for scanning. Marlyn also pulled out a tub of old shirts for us. In the multi pic photo lower left the GSTA twin being built.

Attached Files: