Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Collection Lost in Malibu Fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. fargoguy

fargoguy

i just read that Gary Cerveny’s collection was destroyed in the Malibu fire. The Barris Stude Kart Hauler, along with other Barris cars, a Hudson Italia, many rare drag cars and racers were also part of the collection.

2. Was this the Stude?
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I really hope it wasn't!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

4. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very sad news, prayers going out to all that are effected by the fires. Bob

i.rant, Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Man, your heart just breaks for these folks, and all others affected by these monster fires. So very sad.

8. b-bob

b-bob

Yes, the Stude was one of them Also Cunningham sectioned 40 Ford tudor and Ray Coulart's sectioned Olds.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. The Norman Timbs Special Buick Streamliner was also part of the collection.
    [​IMG]

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn shame, but gladly no loss of life. Hopefully at least some of that remarkable collection was spared.

12. There has been loss of lives from the fires in both northern and southern Cali. Truly unfortunate for all living there, fire is a constant concern here in Colorado and if it strikes which it will I'm sure I just want my family and I out safely, cars and all the other stuff can be replaced. Good thoughts for all affected. Mitch.

RMONTY, Lil32, 56premiere and 3 others like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Impossible to know what those people out there are feeling and experiencing ..
    Even if you got away safe, what now? You’ve lost your home and everything you had.
    Where does one turn? Go?
    Be thankful everyday of your life your problems are small and incidental compared to what these folks and flood victims are going through at this time.

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Ok, can someone explain why you have a collection like this, a fire is coming your way and you just sit and wait to let the fire consume your collection? I mean do you do it for the insurance money? Because your to Damn lazy to get off your butt and move them ?

Sorry I feel for the loss of the vehicles and the history but don't have any for the owner, it's not like it was a flash electrical, lightening strike type fire.

15. jim snow

jim snow

Irregaurdless of the circumstances this sucks big time. Snowman

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for links above - just a small example of the loss of collections of cars & more all over - depending on the fire, many people had no time to save anything including their own life - not a time to put down anyone - just offer prayers and help -

17. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Maybe you should do some research about the speed with which this fire was moving and how much time people had to get out before you make an asshole comment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. fargoguy

fargoguy

Nothing but sympathy- reading on the model a board, at least one of these fires came up so fast they just barely got out- and carbureted cars were inhaling soot and stalling, sounds like hell- so let’s keep the judgement down and just be sympathetic to someone’s loss. None of us knows what the circumstances were.

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the number of people affected by the fires, and all of them concerned about their property, even if an individual has the finances, how is that individual going to be able to find the means to transport his or her property in a short time or find somewhere safe to keep it? Not everyone has that capability. If I read correctly, you live in Kansas, a state which had a total population in 2018 of just under 3 million. In 2018, Greater Los Angeles has a population of just over 4 million and the entire state of California has a total population of 39.9153 million. Moving things in the state of Kansas would be a hell of a lot easier for you than for someone who lives in an area restricted by the number of available open highways. While I'm talking about it, since you live in an area where tornados are common, do you move your prized possessions to safety every time you're under a tornado watch which can last for hours and still not spawn a tornado? I'm sure that the folks in California were doing everything in their power to ensure their safety and unfortunately, a lot of them didn't make it. Shame on you for even thinking like that.

Alan Purvis

20. oj

oj

Heartbreaking, to be sure. You see all those 'abandoned' cars along the highway and there must be a terrible story to go with each and every one of them.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of people in those fire area only had minutes to evacuate with the clothes on their back and what ever vehicle that had the best potential to get them out of the area. Most often that was the one already sitting in the driveway. A friend of mine that a lot of guys into Harleys in years back know of had only a short time to gather up his pet cats and bail. His wife was returning home from another location and got turned around by authorities. Their place is SE of Paradise and across the Feather river but probably not far enough away.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Very saddening and depressing. My heart goes out to all the people affected by these fires. It must be just terrible to be in their position, but thankfully most of them were able to escape beforehand.

23. adam401

adam401

If I lived there it wouldn't matter what cars I had I'd grab my family and get the hell out. Buy more cars later. Those people are living through a terrible tragedy. Imagine a wall of fire coming at your whole life and loved ones. Fuck the cars.

24. F&J

F&J

lots to reflect on...one hamber lost everything in the NorCal Camp fire. A long term project that he spent so much time and $, on all the period correct stuff..but...it was stalled as he got married, bought a home, had a couple of kids who now don't have their familiar home, bed, teddy bears, and even their school is gone...as well as taken away from their school friends. It's got to be very tough for little kids..

catdad49, i.rant, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

When I lived in the mountains in California we were evacuated due to a rapid moving fire. There was literally minutes to get what you could and get the hell out. What do you grab? Family heirlooms? Cherished pictures? military memorabilia? Sports memorabilia? Art? FAMILY?
    Imagine you can smell the smoke and you have minutes to get out....
    You need to reconsider your post.

26. 327Eric

327Eric

You have the option to leave when told, or leave now. Not always both. I have done it 5 times.

27. 2935ford

2935ford

Those fires are such an awful tragedy.

Having lived there for so many years, I know the Malibu area pretty well. Lots of car/motorcycle rides through the canyons and up and down PCH.

Just pray those dedicated fire crews can get a good handle on it and get it out and safely!

Irish Mike likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

They were out of state at the time I read that in one of the reports.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    kiwijeff, uncle buck and rexrogers like this.
  29. redo32

redo32

Several of you have already reprimanded lostone, I have to add this to help him gain a perspective of the California fires. The Paradise Camp Fire grew at a rate of 2,000 acres an hour. That's more than a football field every second. How fast can you run?

I have a great niece that lived in Paradise with her husband who is an Afghan veteran and their 2 young boys. They heeded the evacuation warning and got out, they are safely staying with relatives and have been informed their house did not survive.

Irish Mike, TagMan, Deuces and 5 others like this.