Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3W Coupe Lakes Racer-Thrash for TROG West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jul 26, 2016.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, I am back from the RPM Nationals in Santa Margarita Ranch which was hands down the best traditional event in the West, I would say the hisory and quality of the 100 cars allowed to run is much better than what you see at TROG so even though I missed out of TROG WEST I feel this was all around a better event, So the weeks leading up to the race I had the transmission out and bunch of little things to do and as expected I was buttoning up the last few items on the list the night before I left for California 530 miles away.

Raced the car 5 times and won 3 races, made it to the semi-finals in the V/S Street car class before losing to Mike Scalpo in his '32 Roadster which was ultimately the class winner.

Another life long dream was racing a car I have idolized since I first saw it the Ken Schmitd built 575 '32 3W Coupe that is now owned by a very cool guy named Drew. This was a close race because Drew treed me on the flag drop but the 36c caught him on the top end!!
    IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    Here is the side by racing with Mike Scalpo in the Semi-finals where he beat me and went on to win it all!!

IMG_1903.PNG

It is such a great feeling of satisfaction when you can make 5 passes in a new car without breaking anything more than the shifter in a car I built with my own two hands, I couldn't be happier!
    IMG_1882.JPG

2. Elrod

Elrod

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

4. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see you got the tranny fixed up. Car looks fantastic!

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Guys, after 11 years of building this car I can finally start enjoying it!

slv63 likes this.
  6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

A couple more for the Wednesday crowd....racing the Rolling Bones Icon #575 Coupe, I don't think I was influenced by the Bones style at all?

IMG_1867.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very accelerating thread. Car is just the way I'd have done it, so many little 'gremlins', all fixed by ingenuity and old Ford parts!
    Especially like the '39 Merc cross steer box, and the nice final spindle arms by Okie Joe.
    Taillight brackets are 'Gennie-looking', tasty.
    How did the 5 speed finally turn out, as far as shifting, and final drive?

8. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

To cap this build thread off in celebration style here is one of the feature shots in the new HOP UP Annual #16, so we finished the car in 2018, raced it at RPM NATIONAL 2018 and 2019, then in 2021 my car was featured in a magazine which is a first for me. I am humbled and honored that they chose my old beat up hot rod to grace the pages of the Hop Up Annual #16
    Hop Up Garage Scene.jpeg

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can’t wait till I read this issue and see more pics of one my favorite hot rods!
    “Humbled” hell I thought it was karma, “cool stuff happens to cool dudes with cool stuff”?