Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 -'31 ford coupe / roadster and pick up truck fenders are different.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Nov 12, 2018.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

An older fellow told me that the later A pick up rear fenders were wider than the coupe, sport coupe, cabriolet and roadster... I thought he was shidding me … had 11 of them...bobbed a couple for my A coupe... sure enough... bout a 1/2" wider... car fender just clears the 7.60 tires... the truck is just enough wider to make it look right... pix when I roll It out in the driveway next time ...

2. alchemy

alchemy

I don't believe it.

3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Older fellows were around when stuff was "new" you know... I am not to proud to admit that I had to insert my foot into my mouth a time or two...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. pitman

pitman

Possibly to clear the dual-ies.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Do you honestly think I would post this if it were not true ?
    I would have called you a liar this spring, until butch ferland stopped and bought a truck door from me... he said different, I disagreed, he asked for a tape measure... sure enough, he is right...
    the 2 truck fenders I have came with a texas coupe body...
    …...… perhaps pix will convince you...
    can't tell looking, but when bobbed at each end, the car will not fit over the truck but the truck will slide down over the car...
    the old guy is the only A guy that didn't believe they were the same...
    sanded fender is car, white fenders are truck... 1st pic shows the car laying in the truck...
    I posted this so a guy buying good used or new fenders won't go nuts trying to figure why they won't fit without shimming and adjusting the bolts in the slotted holes... DSCN3444.JPG DSCN3443.JPG DSCN3442.JPG DSCN3441.JPG DSCN3440.JPG DSCN3445.JPG

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Smitty, what do you know? You've only been doing this your whole life!
    Good to see you yesterday bud.

7. Are the running boards different too??

alchemy likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Same running boards. Would the fender brace be different too? Are there different part numbers for the coupe fenders and braces VS. the pickup?

I think what you are seeing is just a slightly bent fender. Or maybe stamped from a different die or even plant, so they are just a wee bit spread out.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bent fender is why I compared the car fender with "both" truck rear fenders...
    again I post this as a tip as to why things don't fall back together....
    I found 2 different width rear fender braces after he straightened me out... yup, 1/2" off...
    I have never mounted a running board in my life so I make no comments about them...
    re-poppers make the coupe / roadster lower rear 6" patch panel, but it is not rolled over and into the trunk opening,
    they do this so they don't have to make coupe and roadster, they want you to make it fit both..
    are they doing the same with the fender ? letting you make it fit ?
    the old guy is a '28 - '29 roadster pick up restorer... he knows...
    get a big square, a 6" strip of steel and a level to make a comparitor, set the fender on the floor on the ends, measure the width on both...

10. They widened the box in 1931 and maybe that has something to do with it. The 1930 fenders had a small intermediary piece that fit between the box and the fender while the later wider box did not have this piece I don't believe. That might have necessitated making the fenders a little wider. Just a thought.

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The late 31 wide box uses a much narrower fender, also hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app