Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 door lock question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1932tub, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 1932tub

1932tub

The drivers door on my 32 5 window has a hole below the door handle/ belt line which looks like it may have been the original door lock.
    Can any one confirm this and what does the original lock look like?
    Thank you.

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

Mines on the passenger side...

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Go outside and see if traffic where you live is running on right or left side of the street...
    If left, that is your door lock hole. If right, it is more likely a bullet hole.

nochop likes this.
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Did Fords sent to England/Europe/etc. where they had right hand drive have lock cylinders on the left side of the car ? In the U.S it was a safety feature so you would be unlocking the car from the curb side,... I guess in the land of people driving on the wrong side of the road,.... the curb side would be the left side of the car,....

It's one of those things that makes you go HUH ?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If it is indeed the lock hole, there should be a squarish slot for lock cylinder extension shaft maybe a little over an inch in.
    On back edge of door, in jamb, there should be a hole allowing access to a 10-32 lock screw (Grub screw, in areas where traffic is on left) that fastens lock in place.
    Tech...any '32-48 lock cylinder will work there. Most have longer shaft than '32, but shortening that is only mod needed.
    '32 originals had the key hole exposed, later ones will have a swinging shield to cover the hole.

6. Look at the latch in the drivers door and see if there is provision for the lock.....if so the lock itself would interchange....

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

That's what I get for being a bad speller !,..... as I am doing the spell check rodeo,..... Bruce scoops me ,.again !:D

"Fon-ex werked fr meee" :eek:

8. John Stimac

John Stimac

Here is a pic of the absolute correct lock. It belongs in the passenger door only. I've seen these for as much as 250 dollars, when you can find them. Good luck

Attached Files:

9. 1932tub

1932tub

Sorry to confuse things guys but I'm in New Zealand where we drive on the left hand side of the road and our steering is on the right.
    I said drivers door so I didn't confuse things. The lock hole is on the passengers side here as well.
    I have just checked the door and can see the hole for the grub screw which retains the lock barrell.
    I have spoken to Harms Way before so he has remembered where I am
    and the right hand drive thing

Thanks to all who have replied

10. Tic

Tic

-
    Just wanted to bring this thread back and post a couple more pictures of the '32 Ford two piece door lock. The first picture is of the lock case. It has a stainless face and the lock cylinder slides in and is secured by a retaining pin. The second picture is the lock cylinder. It is the same lock cylinder that is used in the Ford trunk handles from 1932-1937, skips '38 and is used in the '39 also. I have found that some of these two piece door locks were also used in the early 1933 Ford cars.

Tic

Attached Files:

11. HotRod-1

HotRod-1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tic, best info I've come across on 32 Ford door locks.

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

Is this the same as used in the pickup door?

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

This isn't a '32 but my '26 T coupe. I found a really rough door that had a lock cylinder hole on the driver's door and grafted it in. Never seen another like it. No idea as to why, but of course, when you find something like this, must have it. IMG_1121.JPG

14. v-8 Ford

v-8 Ford
    from Florida

Is the 1933 Ford door lock the same as 1932 or is it the bullseye like the 35-36? I am not sure when Ford changed over. Thanks!

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mine is correct ! I had no idea , but it is on the pass side also .

16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

My bone stock '33 tudor built July 1933 has the door lock cyl like the '32 3W.The door and ign are keyed alike. The 32 5W and sedan door lock cyl had a shorter shank on the receiver. 32-34 trucks used the same as 32 5W ,sedan door lock cyl as the latch itself is the same.

micksmith likes this.
  17. I’m sure everyone is aware, but always remember if you lock the door from inside by pushing ahead, the key will not unlock the door. They are two separate locks.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  18. 4ty

4ty

I can't fully remember on my 32 5 window, but I think the only door lock was on the passenger side. The Model A was on passenger side only. You reached across to unlock driver's door.
    Paul in CT