Register now to get rid of these ads!

History OHIO GUYS, REMEMBER SOHIO STATIONS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Nov 11, 2018.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My uncle Clark Glaspell and aunt Maude ran a "mom&pop" Sohio gas station in Logan, Ohio in the 50's up until the early 70's. He also had a used car lot beside the station and a garage at a separate location. I hung out at the station with my older cousin every chance I got and later at another Sohio station on the other side of town that my other cousins DSCF3858.JPG worked at. The Sohio brand was only used in Ohio for Standard Oil Co. products. I started collecting anything with the Sohio logo back in the 70's, it is amazing how many different products they had over the years, 1920's - the early 90's when BP took over.
    I ran across this picture of Uncle Clarks station and thought I would share. I think it is so neat with the neon sign and the old pumps and wrecker. You can barely male it out but in the far corner is my cousins black 55 Crown Vic. Those were the days!!

2. Deuces

Deuces

I worked at a Texaco station after school till 9:00 pm.... I learned allot while I was there.... Them were the days.... Met a bunch of young ladies there also.... :):rolleyes::)

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Hey Uncle Clark, Is that there an RV?

4. Sohio was the original starting place of Standard Oil, where Rockefeller began building the monster that was broken up in 1911 by the Sherman Anti-trust act. After the break-up, it was one of the 'seven sisters' and the only one that retained the 'Standard Oil' name until it's sale to BP (with the 'Sohio' name being used for marketing).

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Worked at a sohio station when i was a kid started pumping gas and moved up to grease monkey then started wrenching for the guy. When i graduated got a job on the railroad he couldn’t match the pay or benefits and then well like most kids i got a letter from Uncle Sam. No job when i got back had to start over.

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grew up in central Ohio and definitely remember SOHIO stations.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

worked at a Sohio gas station in the early 70's as a 2nd job. needed the money as I was building a 40 coupe. still have a Sohio jacket

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yep, they were everywhere until the BP takeover. Dale's and Pete's in Athens, seems like it was Barnhill's in New Marshfield. Does anyone remember the "Mystery Customer"? My buddy in Chauncey scored a hundred dollar bill from one when he worked at Pete's.

10. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I had a Sohio station that got changed over to BP in the 80's and stayed with BP until 2001

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

12. Tommy Millers in Hartford in the 50s.Built race cars for Blaney & hotrods for everyone. Tommy drove a 37 chev coupe. Lee Browns in Burghill. same time. The across the RR tracks was my favorite parts place, Hordeskys wrecking yard. Talk about the days them wuz it !!!

13. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

It was called Boron in Western Pennsylvania. I still remember the radio commercials with the weird sound effect.

"No fuel line freeze-up or Sohio (Boron) pays your tow!"

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That was a neat little station in New Marshfield. Used to stop there when we went to the local junk yards.