Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identifying rearend?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dad Was A Racer, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can somebody help me identify this rearend? It’s a 10 bolt in a 1956 Olds Super 88 but does not appear to be the factory unit as the numbers don’t match the service manual.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

37-56 Olds/Pont. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To clarify a little bit, AFAIK the pumpkin was original to the car (60,000 mile survivor), but the service manual says that the factory designator numbers were either 6, 8, 9 or 0. This one has a plain as day 7 on the case, so I'm stumped. I don't know if this is a pumpkin from another year (assuming it's an Olds) or what?

Of course I plan to crack it open before running it, but I would still like to know what it's from, etc.

4. F&J

F&J

I know that Olds rears I have here.....54,55,56 have date codes on the center section. If I think of it tomorrow I will go take a pic of the 54 code I saw.

5. squirrel

squirrel

is the factory designator number you're referring to, a stamped number? maybe you could take a pic of the book you read that from, so we can see what they're talking about.

you can also count turns to figure out the gear ratio, but if you're going to pull the pumpkin out, you can find more info stamped on the ring gear, and you can count teeth, etc.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think "most" of these were 3.64:1 or 3.90:1 gear ratio. Been a while for me however. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what the '56 book says....

Attached Files:

squirrel likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

The pic you posted in post #1, you show a "casted" number 7, but the chart in your book states "stamped" number, and it is on the lower square shaped boss, as shown in that book info picture.

9. squirrel

squirrel

yup, clean off the boss, look for the number. Don't be confused by cast numbers, when you're looking for stamped numbers. It's a whole different thing.

10. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly, which is why I'm wondering if it's not a non-factory pumpkin that was swapped later in life? I have no idea if another GM 10-bolt (from a Chevrolet?) would mate up to the factory axel housing. From the best I can tell, the axel housing is the original, based on the parking brake, etc. but as you can see in the photos, the pumpkin is painted a reddish-orange and has the "wrong" markings...

11. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy stuff is completely different.

Look for the stamped number. there is nothing about what you've shown us, that makes it look like it's not original.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's factory red oxide prime the factory used. Many GM cars & trucks used the coating.

13. Like Butch said.....37-56 Olds/Pontiac. If you can't find the number in your Olds book, look in a Pontiac book.

14. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys were right, as usual... I dug through the grease and crap on the bottom of the pumpkin and found the tiny (about 1/4") stamped number 8, which indicates a 3.42:1 gear according to the manual. Thanks for directing me away from the cast numbers, etc.

15. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have that same rear end in my fed. mine has a m/t mag third member.

16. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without pictures, it didn't happen :)

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A LOT of Junior Fuel FED's, and even some lesser classes, used the 37-56 Olds/Pont rear ends. They were roughly the same weight as a Tri-Five Chevrolet rear ends, but a lot stronger. As far far as your own personal rear end goes, it very well could have been replaced due to breakage, or to a need for a better ratio. I think the 10 spline axles/side gears were what held it back; even though Mickey Thompson tried to do his part. That, and lack of a Posi-Traction/spool, for them.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might have one from a manual trans,I had a few 53 to 56s that had hydramatics and they has the 3.23 gears.