Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Build Thread Edsel Ford Speedster... with a difference

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DouglasM, Nov 10, 2018.

1. DouglasM

DouglasM
    from Surrey, UK

Hey all, This is my first post but I've been lurking for several years. I have just arranged to start the build of a car I fell in love with when I read Tom Cotter's first book... the '34 Ford Edsel Speedster. This will be a pretty cool garage companion to one of our other cars, a 1935 Jensen Ford Sport Tourer... In any case I have just bought a '37 Lincoln Zephyr V12 which we will be using as the basis of the build. Pics below. I will be updating this thread as we make progress. The timing is to have the chassis and mechanicals done for January when it will go to the coach builder and should have the body complete by April...

What I could really help is any dimensions anyone might have regarding the track and overhangs form the original car. It seems from photos and the 18th scale Minichamps replica the front track is considerably narrower than the rear. Any photos of the chassis/ suspension would also be a help, I've already got all the ones on the HAMB threads related to this car.

It should be pretty cool, we're still deciding weather we shorten the Lincoln rails to the original cars wheelbase or if we go for the longer 122" of the standard Lincoln frame. Also, as we are starting with a superb donor car we are thinking of keeping the cable brakes rather than upgrade to juice. Any Thoughts? Obviously, are primary motivation for using the Lincoln is the gem of a V12 and gearbox/ axle ratios. Should perform very well with such a light body.

As always, any advise welcomed!

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  2. 35cab

35cab

Hi Douglas, I really really love the Edsel Speedster (s) and would love to see you build a version, respect! but I do not know how you can begin to think about cutting up the Zepyhr... eek!
    I kind of hope it is not as nice as it looks in the photos, please tell me it is really rough.
    Whatever the case I am following this thread.
    Gordon.

3. DouglasM

DouglasM
    from Surrey, UK

Gordon, you and my wife are tugging my heartstrings on this as the Zephyr is really good and complete and it’s a pretty car but I have a couple of guys interested in the body to do something custom with so it will end up as two wicked cars... at least that’s how I justify corrupting this classic.

4. catdad49

catdad49

The front of this thing is Gorgeous! As a whole, the lines of the Zepp would definitely make a swoopy Kustom, glad to hear of your plan. If possible, please share both builds with us. Thanks and Welcome to the HAMB, Carp.

bantam likes this.

5. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Isn't the Zephyr unibody construction?

6. Douglas,

Sorry for not responding to your pm earlier! Congratulations on finding the Lincoln- as has already been stated, I'm concerned that you will have a hard time making what you have into a replica of the Edsel Model 40 speedster. Bob Gregorie used a stock '33 chassis and cut/flipped the frame midway to make the rear suspension underslung.

The Zephyr chassis is pretty heavy/big and has those coil springs, big kick-ups, and parallel rear leaf springs, which may cause you trouble trying to replicate that distinctive sheetmetal /lines of the speedster. Take a look at the difference between the two:
    Zephyr
    upload_2018-11-11_15-34-9.png
    '33 Ford
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yes and no.....the frame is welded to the body, but it is a full frame.

Mac the yankee, if you'll look hard at that Zephyr frame pic, you'll see the crossmember and transverse spring. The wishbones look like springs, but are not, and those coils are probably some kind of add on overload springs, not factory.

8. Thanks Bama- did not know that- still don't think that the Zephyr frame will work for what Douglas is wanting to do, and a stock '33 chassis or a pair of repro '33-'34 frame rails will make his job TONS easier!!!

9. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Here is the original. IMG_3443.jpg IMG_3453.jpg IMG_3476.jpg

10. DouglasM

DouglasM
    from Surrey, UK

Mac the Yankee, we're coming to the same conclusion... so now the questions is, is it worth keeping the Lincoln Gearbox and rear axle or should we let it go with the car and just keep the engine... We are definitely keeping the engine.

11. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Just keep the engine

12. Even though the hood looks as long as a mile, remember that the engine compartment itself is pretty tight. You might be able to squeeze that 12 under there, but you're going to lose a ton of leg room/have your knees behind your ears :p

13. DouglasM

DouglasM
    from Surrey, UK

Mac, Any reason we couldn't use a '36 frame? It's just that we've found one and seems a pretty similar bet to the '33-'35 frames we've seen.