Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recommendation for 32 rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordRoadster, Nov 10, 2018.

1. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Hi All,
    I have a 1932 Ford Roadster with a mainly stock Ford 302, 1966 C4 automatic transmission, and a Ford 8" rear end with an open differential and 2.79 gears. Mainly drive it around town, and looking to upgrade for more pickup and go, but want the ability to be able to drive on highway occasionally without revving the crap out of the engine. Will not be raced at all. Tires are 29.25" in diameter. I've looked at multiple websites and also the gear calculators, but figured I would ask for real world practical advice. Due to cost, not interested in changing over to a 9" rear. Also don't have the time to scavenge at local junkyard. Parts will be installed by local shop that specialized in differentials. I have priced out swapping the gear set to a 3.5 and rebuilding for around $700.
    My question is, what do other members have in similar builds, or what can you recommend? Am also considering upgrading to a LSD as well. Pros and cons, as well as ideas are appreciated, and thanks!

2. Just Gary likes this.
  3. Will have to be careful with that light weight car and the trac lock
    Most of the cars we built had 350 or 325 gears and seemed to do good

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Just Gary likes this.
  4. I would say the 3.5. It will give you some missing pep and still have happy rpm on the freeway with 29" tires.
    LSD, no need. You give no location details, but in wet weather, LSD's can cause scary moments.
    My experience is with deuce roadsters with 302w's and c4's.

Just Gary likes this.

5. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks Anthony!

6. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Located in North Carolina. I don’t take it out in the rain at all, but was worried about driveability with lsd. Appreciate your input!

7. F&J

F&J

3.50 with that A/T and that small engine. You will surely feel a huge kick. If you end up running more highway later on in life, I'd do 3.25.

I bought a new 3:80 R&P Richmond Gears set for an 8" rear on Ebay for $140 shipped, for another old car I have, a mostly stock car with low power 6 cylinder 1932 car. If a person could do the swap at home, it is cheap enough to try a couple ratios LOL (That gear set was not listed as Richmond on Ebay, but that's what showed up).

From running my 32 Ford in rain and freak snows, I'd never run a posi..(and I don't). The back does try to come around in light snow, and I know it would be far worse with posi. I'm on bias tires though.(Olds Rocket with 3 speed stick, 3.23 Olds rear)

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I would go with the 3.25 ratio, if available.
    Much better acceleration than the 2.79 you now have
    and great on the Hiway

FordRoadster and Just Gary like this.
  9. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks everyone.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm a fan of 3.25 gears and have them in 2 of my deuces. I've sold a lot of posi rear gears for my customer chassis and get no negative feedback. I would definitely use your local shop for the rebuild so if there's any problems they can handle them..

FordRoadster likes this.