Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DIY Adjustable Exhaust Stand Idea's ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Nov 9, 2018.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Looking for idea's on DIY adjustable exhaust stands. Working under a hoist and would like to steal someone's idea's on how to build a simple adjustable exhaust pipe, muffler, stand. Thanks!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One of the hardest parts to make for the average home shop is the threaded portion for fine tuning heighth once the stand is "in place", now, if you're standing there scratching your head and need it NOW you probably don't need to read any further.
    Stop at any garage sale and you no doubt will find a set of exercise dumbells or barbells.
    Cheap too, look for the style that has the big acme thread on the ends, these male/female shafts/nuts can be welded onto the stand of your design (the easy part).
    Granted, they are more heavy duty than exhaust components would need but they can be used for other automotive projects.
    Light duty versions can be made the same way by using the parts off those small aluminum travel trailer support stands. I see them regularly at garage sales too.
    Like these here:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Olympian-Aluminum-Jack-Stand-2-per-Box-44561/205518965

oj, firstinsteele and brigrat like this.
  3. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

Maybe dry-wall ceiling stands? Quick to put, quick to remove, not expensive... Something like that. If i have them available in Europe, in US they for sure are too. Only requirement is to change upper part to round one to better keep tubing in place.
    [​IMG]

brigrat likes this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like that idea, not much around you feet to trip over! Are they spring loaded?

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Mufflers shops around use a disc from a disc harrow, weld a section of exhaust tubing to it , then put the next size smaller tubing inside it, weld a nut to the outside tubing, put a l shaped bolt in it, weld the bottom of a muffler clamp to the smaller tubing and you’ve got it.
    I have also seen some of the guys get fancy and add an Acme threads and nut to the top for fine adjustments.

Bones

kidcampbell71 and da34guy like this.
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Mr. Kozlowski idea gave me one, looking into a telescoping light bulb changer for high ceilings and modify. Bone's idea would be more traditional........................

7. upspirate

upspirate

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are dozens of way you could go on that using the unit upspirate suggested as a pattern. A piece of tubing welded to a disk, wheel or piece of steel plate to hold it upright with a piece of allthread in the end with the piece to hold the pipe.
    The only thing I can think of is that they shouldn't be too heavy weight wise or too top heavy. You don't want the falling over when you don't have a load on them.

upspirate likes this.
  9. verde742

verde742

10. verde742

verde742

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well Verde I was hoping for something a little better than Harbor Freight! Smileyface!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  12. I've always seen the tube within a tube, with a nut welded to the side and a bolt with a rod welded too it (T handle). A piece angle iron welded across the top in a "V" position and it all welded to an old wheel or brake drum. Drag over, extend into position and twist the T bolt to lock.......then start welding.

I plan on building a few when I have a lift in the future.

13. Buy some adjustable columns for supporting beams in basements and weld a base to them.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ You pretty much need a nut and screw for fine tuning instead of pre drilled holes 3" apart^^^^^^^^^^^^

15. The tops are threaded for fine adjustment. Big holes are coarse adjustment.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^Got ya! Thanks!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cactus1 likes this.
  17. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Capture.JPG Old rim, Pipe, threaded rod and nut (I like Acme), small chunk of angle. You get the idea.

classiccarjack likes this.
  18. I've seen my exhaust guy use ratchet straps and those big solid chunks of styrofoam before. Sometimes his bays are full. The rookies use the exhaust screws .... while the master uses what he has.

The styrofoam is chunked between the straps and pipes. I imagine a second hand is used to balance pipe and hang strap. Hell .... finding an extra hand is easier and cheaper than the alternatives ... though. Yes ?

bct likes this.
  19. Both NAPA and HF sell adjustable stands about 7 feet tall. You can take them down to about 4 feet. The HF ones are of higher quality and very sturdy.

20. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

My stands are spring loaded, they work like caulking gun. They are very light, but can support some weight. And they are readily available. Other stands mentioned are quite heavy compared to this.
    On the other hand, in garage i have also trans jack to use when i need something heavy duty.

classiccarjack likes this.
  21. verde742

verde742

IMG_1867.jpg OK ,OK, OK , I didn't paint the stand,
    But believe me, welding a nut on the side won't cut it for long term, the bolt with a wing on it, eventually bends the inner pipe so outta shape it doesn't slide up and down easily..:rolleyes: This piece has served me well, since 1967. ( when I need them, have 4 )

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    brigrat and RICH B like this.