Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hand made floor pans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlownCad390, Mar 6, 2012.

1. BlownCad390

BlownCad390
    from Chicago

Has anyone hammered out their own floor pans? I started on one today and I don't like the way it turned out. I'm no body man(yet) so I'd like to see how someone else did it. I cut out a groove in a piece of wood a little bigger then a 3/4" square tube I had lying around and basically just hammered it in. It worked...but it looks sloppy. Any tips?

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

try a search, there's alot of floor repairing going on around here! seems like every week there's something new to look at. some simple, some over the top nice. try the advanced search, it seems to give better results.

3. BlownCad390

BlownCad390
    from Chicago

Yeah, I see all kinds of stock replacement or pre made floor pans. But I can't find someone who bent it by hand.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

search the teck archive, there was a thread on it, doing it with only hand tools..maybe Tinman?

5. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

6. BlownCad390

BlownCad390
    from Chicago

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for.

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

8. I made my own, have a look at my build thread in my signature. When you're done laughing, check out Finnrodder's build, he did a nice job on his.

9. tbird37821

tbird37821

10. View attachment 1584332 This is my Model A I'm building. I hand made all the floor pans and bent the tunnel by hand over a wood buck. Check my build thread for more pictures

11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

something i've been knocking up for my 40
    [​IMG]
    been alot of work - for me. I made dies and stamped the metal using the press brake at work
    [​IMG]
    The first part i made using a simple set of dies welded to my bench and a hammer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This patch panel i made using a wooden pattern and a bit of round stock hit with a hammer.
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect, the round stock marks the metal, but it worked. Also found that using a long length of tube or bar works well with a wooden die. Shrinkage at the end of the swages is a pain, and not so easy to deal with
    [​IMG]
    I had a bit on the small panel, but a hammer and dolly sorted that, not on the big panel tho. Tried a slapper and heat, in the end i had to split the panel at the end of the swages, clamp it flat then weld it up. I know why now, the metal could move around too much when i pressed the swages, so instead of stretching the metal into the swage, it just sucked it in, creating highs and lows. I think a hammer form is the way to go for this kind of stuff in your garage, which was basically what i used on the patch panel.

12. shocker998md

shocker998md

check it out, search for the member Datinman. He did a tec thread that someone bet him to make floor pans with nothing but hand tools. They turned out AWSOME!

Its exactly what ur asking for.

13. shocker998md

shocker998md

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This is what i did:

[​IMG]

...with a modified HF beadroller.The floor panels are usually pretty simply,so its not really difficult to fabricate your own floor.And a lot cheaper too than buying high quality floor pans.

TagMan likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I pounded out a set using the solid round rod on the back side/dead blow hammer method and it worked out great. A bit labor intensive but hand tools only, just like the excellent tech thread posted above lays out.

16. morac41

morac41

Hi .... Have a look in the social groups... Metal Fabricators...plenty of people to give instrucion and help there ....

17. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

i slamed these out for my 54 savoy in an afternoon. not pretty, but concidering i had nothing at all and no aftermarket available, they work for me

[​IMG]

pigfluxer likes this.
  18. johnboy13

johnboy13

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting idea for a thread... Gary

20. martin53

martin53

Nice work man. What size sheetmeatal did you use. I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my 53 Coronet.

21. topher5150

topher5150

going to have to put a big ol' fat bookmark on this page....how many cases of beer is a bead roller use worth, I don't think my neighbors will take to kindly to me banging out beads on sheet metal

22. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

18ga