Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Watches

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by gonzo, Nov 2, 2018.

1. gonzo

gonzo

B7B5383F-1C69-4F1A-8888-7B725D23FFD3.jpeg 3D7D1EEB-F006-49F6-9FCD-F414CA4F9B98.jpeg
    Here are a couple perennial favorites that should just sneak into the year restriction.

A 2 B, Chebby belair and Okie Pete like this.
  2. NoSurf

NoSurf

[​IMG]

Hamilton Ventura.

Someone on the HAMB collects Hamiltons. Love them. Someday I'll have one.

A 2 B and gonzo like this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo

I just bought my first Hamilton, it’s a great watch.

A 2 B and NoSurf like this.
  4. The one that Charlie Sheen is wearing is not date correct for Vietnam;looks like a Seiko automatic. The one Swigert is wearing looks like an Omega Speedmaster with an extended band.
    I love old watches and have a few. Here are some of them.
    First is an American Time rotary dial watch manual wind.
    Second is a Baylor 17 jewel manual wind from the 1950's.
    Next isn't really a watch per se but a timing device for divers to be worn over a wet suit to let you know how much oxygen you have left.
    Next is my prize: A 1967 Breitling 806 Navitimer I bought at a yard sale for $5 in an old Timex box! Had never been serviced and was on an old leather biker's band. Had it serviced a couple years ago and cost me $500 but I'm still ahead of the game.
    Next is a Breitling 1809 Chrono-Matic that I swapped a 66 Chevy sedan for about 35 years ago. Still keeps great time.
    Then we have a 30 jewel Bulova manual wind from the 1950's.
    Next we have a Bulova with a fancy case likely from the 1930's. Still runs but is slow.
    Then we have an old Elgin curved case from the 1930's that was my father-in-law's.
    Next is a Hamilton curvex with a 14k gold case from the 1930's.
    And then a Helbros France from the 1950's.
    Then a Lancet from Switzerland that has an odd leather band that looks like WWI era.
    Last is a Waltham manual wind with blue jewels for hour markers. AmericanTime19267ManualWindWatch.JPG Baylor17JewelAutomaticWatch.JPG BottomTimer1.jpg Breitling806 1.jpg Breitling 1809 1.jpg Bulova1.jpg BulovaManualWindWatch2.JPG Elgin2.jpg Hamilton14kGoldFilledManualWindWatch.JPG HelbrosManualWindSquareWatch.JPG LancetElem.W.C.ManualWindWatch.JPG WalthamBlueStoneWatch.JPG

A 2 B, Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.

5. gonzo

gonzo

[​IMG]

You bought that Breitling for 5 dollars?!?!? I hate you forever. Great collection though.

A 2 B, Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  6. Yeah I couldn't believe it either! A really strange story goes along with it. My wife and I were going shopping for a living room table and we drive by this yard sale that looked like it had all kinds of tools and stuff. I was going to turn around but decided to hit it on the way home.
    On the way back we were talking and I drove right by it. She told me to just turn around. Went back and looking through the stuff the watch was in an old Timex box marked $5. I figured even if it was a replica it was worth more than that but it didn't look like one. Bought it and on the way out started winding it and the sweep hand started moving! Set it to the right time and the next day went to my local jeweler who popped the back off to check it(you need a special tool to put it on as it it a press fit)and found it was a 1967 vintage and had never been serviced! Offered me $1000 for it and I turned him down.
    About two years later it started running slow and I sent it to a friend of mine in Massachusetts for service(he did all my watches)and it cost a lot but was definitely worth it. I don't really wear it too often as it isn't waterproof and on a damp day moisture will get under the crystal. When that happens I pop off the crystal and lay a dessicant bag on it for awhile.Takes the moisture out and the crystal snaps right back on.

Okie Pete and gonzo like this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo

Who is your friend in Massachusetts? I may need some service work done on my Seiko.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Sadly he is no longer in business.After 75 years in business Bernard's Jewelers in Salem closed up .Tom(one of the sons)used to do all my work and he was good. He retired and I guess is doing a lot of sailing now(his passion).

gonzo likes this.
  9. My Grandfather was a watchmaker by trade. He went to the Bradly Institute of Horology in Bradley Illinois back in the 1920's. Sadly he as most have been replaced by the electronic digital throw away world. He passed away in 1967 so he thankfully never got to see the throw away world. I used to watch over his shoulder as he would dis-assemble, repair, clean, and re-assemble the parts into a working art piece. Sadly I never paid enough attention to what he did and the art is now lost in most places.

Okie Pete, gonzo and NoSurf like this.
  10. gonzo

gonzo

If the price of vintage watches is any indictation the art may be lost but it isn’t unappreciated.

11. Agreed. My grandfather had an old rather large pocket watch that had lavish enamel or porcelain inlays and 24K gold case that was driven by a chain from the mainspring. It was sold by an greedy uncle on my grandmothers passing during an auction that did not take into the account of the gold in the case at the time. He also sold a his original flintlock rifle that was built by his uncle in the early 1800's. He was a gunsmith and this was his personal rifle that was handed down through the family and had 32 pieces of inlaid gold and silver embellishments.

Okie Pete and NoSurf like this.
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Elvis's Ventura sold a few years ago.......I'm trying to remember.......$25-$35 thousand? I've had a couple Hamilton Pacers but stupid things don't run very well. They didn't run very well new and about put Hamilton out of business.

Rod Serling had a Ventura also. You can see it on some shows. I have a Hamilton K-454 "Sputnik" that runs great. I should have sold it back when they went up in value after being featured on Mad Men. I have a very early automatic Zodiac Moonphase that is like new (other than second hand has been replaced). A couple Omega's. I far prefer the early Omega's over Rolex.

13. gonzo

gonzo

Pictures please.

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Zodiac Moonphase. There are not records on these like with a Rolex or Omega to tell exact dates. Based upon the movement and what not, I'm guessing around 1954. I'd have to pop it as I do not recall but it has the same movement as the earlier non automatic but with an A after it. Later ones have a completely different movement.

zodiac.jpg

Omega Seamaster Chronometer. 751. IMO the pinnacle of Omega watches. Roughly late 60's before they started going downhill somewhat.

omegas.jpg

Mid 70's Bulova Drivers watch. Can tell the time with your hand still on the steering wheel. LOL

bulova.jpg

I'll have to take pics of others.

15. Love the Zodiac and the Bulova LED! I had a couple Zodiac watches with the clear disc hands(forget the name of them) but they both got damaged and couldn't be reasonably repaired. My only Zodiac now is an Aerospace that I bought in an antique shop for a dollar. The 24 hour hand was missing and a friend installed one but it has other issues. The winder doesn't work and when you try to manually wind it, it feels like the gears are stripped.
    Here's a few more from the accumulation.
    Three Seikos;all automatic.The World Time cost me $2;guy thought it needed a battery.
    A Westclox pocket watch
    A Windsor Zurich manual wind.
    Three Wylers;all automatic.The one with the crown at 4 o'clock I got from the original owner. Seiko7S26-0040-431413AutomaticWatch.JPG SeikoAuto1.jpg SeikoWorldTime1.jpg WestcloxPocketBen$8.jpg WindsorZurichManualWindWatch.JPG Wyler1.jpg WylerIncaBloc3883 1DL-1168MAutomaticWatch.JPG WylerIncaflex8123-6-1162AutomaticWatch.JPG ZodiacAerospaceGMT1.jpg
    The Zodiac Aerospace GMT
    A couple unmarked watches with automotive logos

Attached Files:

A 2 B, Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I love the Zodiac Aerospace. There is a guy in Ohio that services them. He's done all my watches and is known as a pretty good Zodiac guy. I can send you the info tomorrow.

17. I would appreciate it;I think it is worth repairing.

gonzo likes this.
  18. rudestude

rudestude

Here's a few I have in the desk drawer.... I have been trying to look some of them up but haven't had much luck...the Bulova necklace one as my grandmother's the Baylor one with the rubies and diamonds my grandmother a!so had in her stuff I have been told it's a man's watch but haven't found any info on it...the Alpine I just found in a box of stuff I got from my brother he also gave me the large gold pocket watch I would like some info on that one I ran the numbers and it says it's from 1890 but I don't know it's pretty clean ... reproduction maybe? Even a gold Mickey Mouse watch I bought it years ago when I worked on tugs one of Captain's always had on one ,a stainless one , so I got the gold one , don't think it's really gold the band I put on it is 14k filled gold.. I only had it for a few weeks one night I reached in the water it didn't work after that....the pair of Timex's I just thought it was cool that they are the same and still work...and of course every watch collection has to have at least one Rolex...got a good deal on that one ...just had to deal with the arm that it was still attached to... actually I had it on a fake arm that I would hang out from under the trunk lid of one of my Fleetwood Cadillac's I had........ IMG_20181109_232256~3.jpeg IMG_20181109_232431~2.jpeg IMG_20181109_232823~2.jpeg IMG_20181109_233157~2.jpeg IMG_20181109_234114_1~3.jpeg IMG_20181109_234516_4~2.jpeg IMG_20181109_234811~2.jpeg IMG_20181110_000309_1~3.jpeg IMG_20181109_235529~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_002748~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_002718~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_003637~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_002845~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_003247~2.jpeg IMG_20181110_003327~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_003727~3.jpeg IMG_20181110_003926~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. gonzo

gonzo

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

Hamilton K-454 "Sputnik".

hamiltonw.jpg

A 2 B, Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. A 2 B likes this.
  22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At OSU Tech watch repair is still taught . There is a waiting list for students wanting to enroll.

'28phonebooth and NoSurf like this.
  23. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Latest.
    [​IMG]
    I'll post pics of the others soon

24. Not a wristwatch but a pocket watch with the coolest story.

My wife and I lived in the desert resort town of Borrego Springs, CA 1975-1989. With her working at the pharmacy she knew everybody in town including many famous people. One of them was the western movie star Charles Starrett. (The Durango Kid).

My wife's grandfather (Chuck Jennings) was a stunt man in western movies. She asked Charles if he knew of him and he did. The next time he was in town he called her and said he had something for her. We went to his condo and listened to stories about Chuck Jennings for quite a while.

What he had was a Wittnauer gold watch her grandfather had used as collateral on a $150 loan with Charles. His exact words were "That S.O.B. died owing me $150" then he laughed and handed her the watch. He was as happy to give it as she was to receive it. Now a cherished family heirloom.

The stagecoach picture is of my wife's grandfather driving it.

DSC06837.JPG

1939 Chuck Jennings Aeroplane-vs-Stagecoach in 1949.jpg

25. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well , I wore a wrist watch as most did for many years . I was on a mainline pipeline job breaking pavement with an air hammer . Looked at my watch , the hands were floating around inside the face . Off went the watch , in the ditch never to be heard from again . I started with a pocket watch in the bib of my bib overalls . To the day I retired , I still have it and working great . I don’t carry it anymore , a thing called a cell phone has replaced it now .

27. squirrel

squirrel

My wife and I have been slowly getting stuff from her dad, so we can get a head start on it while he's still around. One box had some of her grandmother's jewelry, including this watch. We think it belonged to her great grandfather (not the one in the circus, the one who was in the Army in Cuba). It's from 1939. It started running, but not keeping time, so I had it serviced in town. I also bought a longer strap for it, as the 1950s flex band on it was a bit small for me.

Pretty cool how wrist watch fashion has changed over the years. This was an expensive American watch at the time, 21 jewels. Made to run for decades, and apparently it did.

the watch 20230114.jpg

Okie Pete, A 2 B and NoSurf like this.
  28. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

First time seeing this thread. I just raided my sock drawer and came up with a few "hand me downs".

Ist is a Lord Elgin. given to my Granddad in 1960 by the Ford Motor Company. Still have the warranty cards, never been worn.

2nd is a Swiss Bolova watch that actually did go through the war. Presented to my other Granddad in 1944 by the R.C.E.M.E. during WW2 where he was the commanding officer at the Ottawa Workshop. It is beautifully engraved on the backside.

3rd is another Bulova

4th is a Gruen (forgot the years and origins)

5th is a group shot of my Uncle Ed's Illinois and Uncle Bert's Hamilton

6th pic is the workings of the previous pair. DSC07477.JPG DSC07483.JPG DSC07488.JPG DSC07489.JPG DSC07494.JPG DSC07485.JPG

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Hamtown Al, NoSurf, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.