Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 348 chev.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jon flannery, Nov 9, 2018.

1. jon flannery

jon flannery

Can I use a flywheel from a 350 sbc on a 348

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes, unless you are talking about one for a cast iron power glide.

3. x2

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just be sure to compare the balance weight on the crankshaft flange. The flywheel "may" need to be machined to clearance for the end weight. Even B & M used to make this stipulation regarding their old Hydro-Stick transmissions. Also be aware, depending on the diameter of the flywheel/flexplate, there may be a starter motor change in the works. I'd like to have a "W" motor!!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. Straight shift flywheel or automatic flexplate? I used an automatic flexplate from a 350 on mine. Works fine.

6. If its a netural Balance flywheel and it will bolt on and the starter still work the answer is yes.

cavman likes this.
  7. cavman

cavman

I used a neutral balance 396"-427" on my 409"

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Glad this came up. Sorry for hijacking thread, Ive got 348 with cast iron P.g. I want to put 700r4 in. so i need a 350 flywheel?

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I also used a "standard", small Chevy flex plate on a 409 that I built.
    As noted, it was part of the pile of stuff, when the assembly was balanced (as it should be with any engine combination).

Mike

10. BA, I put a 200 4R in my pickup behind my 348 and I used a 350 flexplate. The 348 isn't externally balanced like the 454 so you can use the standard flexplate/flywheel.
    Thats one thing I have come to like about working on Chevys, the interchangeability of parts, quite different with Fords.