Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1/4 glass help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Nov 8, 2018.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

So I’m almost ready for glass, but have a problem figuring what to do with the 1/4 windows. It’s a 1954 Chevy 2 door post and I slanted the b Pilar. Now I need to figure what to do with the rear regulators to make them work with the slanted Pilar’s. I read a few posts here, but they didn’t answer my problem fully. Do I glue in? Make a new mount for the original regulators so they move at an angle? Electric conversion? What would be the easiest solution, aside from gluing them in... pics would be awesome or links to old posts I was too dumb to find.
    I’m gonna start by making some glass templates to see if I have room for the glass to go down inside the channel fully with the raised wheel tubs...
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

first thing that came to mind...is 55-57 Chevy 2 dr hardtop regulators?...or is it those tracks? I had quite a few of those cars many years ago, and I think they move forward right before they are closed completely. Would that work? In other words they don't just go straight up/down...the window went backwards as you rolled it down, then the front of the glass dove down first.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics - just cut/install glass as if it will have a regulator - but, eliminate regulator & make cross brace that holds lower track & glass in place

4. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Looks like there is room in the pocket for the glass to go down. What kind of vertical channel did theses cars have for the rear window? I got the car as a shell with everything gutted...
    Thinking I could change the angle of the verticals channel and the glass would track down and back. Then make the scissor regulator arms at an angle to compensate for the angles b Pilar. Anyone do this before? Found a shoebox that was heavily modified

Attached Files:

5. F&J

F&J

Yes, the angled channels will work, but because it's not like a door glass with opposite long flat runs on the glass sides, you must use that "twin parallel lever regulator" to keep the glass running true to the front longer track.

This may get tricky with just a single pointed end on the rear of that glass. The regulator arms would have to be free from any slop, to get the front to stay in the track as it moves up/down.

I don't know of any donor cars with a twin arm regulator except very old stuff, one is 50s VW bug conv door glass. I know some USA antique cars used a twin arm, I just don't know which ones though.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Your mock up geometry looks like it might work, might need a taller glass so you have a bit more in the rear channel. Since it is still moving in a straight line, although at an angle, you might be able to use one of those power window kits that has the track that runs up the center of the window. Of course it would have to be mounted at the same angle as the window channels or it would bind up.

7. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Would try to make the pattern from type of wood panel or plastic to get it right. Install the glass run channel and see if it will go up and down without binding, if it does then install your lower sash on the regulator. Then try to crank it up and down. The run channel should hold the pattern in place and if the run channel on the lower sash is long enough it will work. remember that the pattern is going up an down on a channel that has a roller that moves with it. If it is not long enough then see if you can move it to make the roller stay in. Any type of regulator with a single arm can be used, you just may have to shorten of lengthen it, or cut an original to size as it will fit the original mounting set up.