Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

It's the end of the Meltdown Drags as we know it.

Back in 2010 the stars aligned and the Meltdown Drags was born from an idea conceived in Koop's basement 5 years previously. We just wanted a fun place to race our vintage cars; hence the term we coined "vintage drag meet". The Meltdown was the first event of its kind, with strict criteria.

Our goal was simple, to get old race cars out of the sheds & barns, and back onto the racetrack for everyone to appreciate and create a real 60's style drag meet. That was it, oh and to have the most fun of our lives. The best thing that came out of it was the friends we made.

As it grew, so did the amount of time and people it took to manage it. As you all know, this event has become more work than fun for the crew. As a result, we have decided to take a step back and not have the Meltdown Drags 2019.

We are not going away and we are not disbanding. We're just going to focus on building cars, racing them with many of you and having fun!

Just remember that the future is not written.

We still have 2 other great events:

Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest in June

Fallout #4 in September in Rock Falls, WI

We will put any updates on www.vintagedragracing101.com.

Thank You for your support,

The Meltdown Drags Crew

SLCK64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Sorry to hear. My family has truly enjoyed it. You guys and gals have truly created a lot of fond memories and friendships. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

SLCK64, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

This is like hearing your dog died I really hope to see meltdown 2020 advertised some day. This is the best event of the year. Thanks for all you guys have done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Thanks go out to everyone that made this happen for several years. When the seeds were planted how was anyone able to predict how popular this form of racing would grow. It has forever changed the face of vintage drag racing for the better. Enjoy the time off you deserve it.

5. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

This is a bummer. You guys did a great job. Hope to see it return. I see on the Byron Dragway FB page they plan to have an expanded vintage race. Hopefully they can maintain the same vibe

chryslerfan55, SLCK64 and loudbang like this.
  6. I understand how you guys feel, but sadly, never made it up there. Hopefully you will be back in 2020!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Was there in 2017 and 2018 and was planning on being there in 2019! Guess I going to have to replan my Summer . Sorry to hear this. Really enjoyed the race.

Bones

8. Slopok

Slopok

Gonna miss this as much as the Hunnert Car Pile Up!:(

9. cs39ford

cs39ford

A great show that will be missed. Thanks for all the Hard work it took to put on the Meltdown You earned A break

SLCK64 and loudbang like this.
  10. das858

das858

Thanks for putting on the best vintage drag race in the country ! I can't put it into words how much my wife, partner, and our crew have enjoyed the Meltdown drags. Hope it can return someday.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and SLCK64 like this.
  11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thank You MDA...

It saddens me to hear that the Meltdown Drags are no-more. It has been and honor and privilege to have been part of the last 7 events. Your time and efforts as volunteers made this event one of the great ones and literally pain free for the fans and racers alike.

It seems like yesterday we were double dog dared to attend. I can still hear the staff at the gate exclaiming .... "Holy Crap... You Showed Up !!" ... when 3 tired guys from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada pulled into Byron Raceway with the Scout on an open trailer. 16 Hrs was the long distance award back then... That trophy is in a place of honor on my trophy shelf. How the event grew and times changed.

You folks have treated me exceptionally well over the years. I will cherish the memories, the friendships and the stories... Making the beer bottle will likely remain the high water mark of my racing career.

Good luck with your next adventures
    See You at The Fall Fall Out 4

Thank You All !!

IMG_0598[1].JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Baron, Bugsy48, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Just announced: Glory Days at Byron Dragway July 19 - 21

http://byrondragway.com/2018/11/08/glory-days-at-byron-dragway-announced-for-july-19-21-2019/

Plans include extending the criteria past the 1966 and Older...
    I'm really hoping the more inclusive criteria does not mean Glory Days becomes an extension of the West Coast events where a carbon fibre, tube frame, Super Gas 69 Camaro with Convo Pro's - is considered Nostalgia... I'm willing to wait and see what direction this goes as they release further information. I'm sure the Byron folks understand what made the event successful. Then again... maybe they are opening it up to late 60's and early 70's fuel burners... that would be cool

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

everyone can understand the big commitment it took to put the meltdown together! but I have to say wow what a disappointment! thank you all for doing what you have done. we looked forward to it every year. been to all of them, sure hope it can make a return.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Thanks for telling us early. With the tracks announcement they will relax the rules I can go to work tomorrow and take back my vacation request. I already go to one watered down nostalgia show that being nhras Kentucky show. I dont think I could stomach two.

15. Wow,..again,...so glad to hear there's a "replacement" for this coming year's Meltdown
    event,...now I don't feel so bad.
    The new event sounds pretty cool, guess we'll see how that goes.
    Thanks to the MDA for getting the vintage racing fever into the Midwest.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and cs39ford like this.
  16. My experience of the Meltdown Drag Racing Event has been a large part of my life for the past 9 years! My summers always started with getting the cars ready for this event in particular. The event seemed to fall on or near my birthday each year and what an amazing way to celebrate a birthday! I took great pride and enjoyed working the event for the past 7 years! Working the gate, what better way to see all the cars coming in and talking to the racers. Immediately following the event was a few days of much needed unwinding and aloe for my sunburns .

My only regret is not getting my Dad's Dodge ready so we could line up against each other for the Saturday night match races. And not listening to my wife and using a LOT of sunscreen :)

I would never have imagined, especially after experiencing many other nostalgia shows, that the rules of limiting the the age of cars, setting tight criteria on wheels, paint and build style would create such a large and loyal following. Most, if not all of the MDA officers would be proud to say the Meltdown was more liken to a historical reenactment than a race. The competition was always secondary to the overall enjoyment and camaraderie with the racers and the spectators. Not to mention the cleanest track I have ever been too.

It will not be the same going to other "nostalgia" drag events with no criteria. The sight of modern wheels, pro-mod Camaro's and fiberglass bubbles that bear little to no resemblance to vintage funny-cars is going to be rather depressing.

Thanks to all the racers who "get it"! Whether you already had a car that fit, or changed what you had to meet criteria, or build a fresh car to bring, the Meltdown wouldn't exist without you.

Thanks to all the track staff and the MDA members who worked their asses off to make this event a success! I can assure you several of the MDA officials allowed there lives to be overrun for most of the year to keep improving the event each year. Which was obviously successful looking at the attendance from year to year. All their hard work sure did show in the quality of the event.

The one thing us MDA members can look forward to, is now having some extra time to attend and enjoy many of the other events throughout the summer!

17. I'm glad I made it to the meltdown drags for my first time in 2018. The best vintage drag racing event I have ever been to. I Was planning on attending this year. Sad to see it go.

18. pnevells

pnevells

Sorry to hear this but I do understand, many thanks from the Hilltown Shaker team for having us in 2017, we will always remember how welcome we were made to feel by everyone and how it still ranks as the greatest racing event I have ever participated in, you guys get it , fun is what it is all about, what a fitting tribute to what you came up with and put on is how incredibly popular it became and stuck to its core principles, we had the pleasure of meeting so many new friends from Canada and all over the country, it was a very special race for us, thank you again
    meltdown3.jpg

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I for one will give the boys at Byron Dragway the benefit of checking out the new event and seeing if they have been paying attention. If they want to open it up to say 1972 but keep it era correct I am okay with that. But if it is going to be a bunch of Pro Mods that kind of remind you of a 41 Willys, then I will move on. Again thanks to all involved for a great trip down memory lane. Larry

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I would like to see them open it up to Muscle cars, by adding about six years, to 1972. I turned 16 in 1967, so I got to see all those cars emerge in my prime. To poor to own one, but loved seeing them and watching and riding in them racing.

Bones

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I enjoyed the events a lot . It was a never miss for my summers. I will attend Byrons version ,hope they don't mess it up with regular bracket cars. I can see that it was a lot of work and well ,none of us are getting younger.

22. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

Thank you guys for all your efforts for this great event. We all knew it took a tremendous amount of work on your part. Your effort produced the best event I've ever attended. We sure hope Meltdown appears again in some form. You gave us the show of a lifetime.

23. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Heard they are only going to extend it 1 year to include 1967 cars.Hope they keep the wheel,and hood scoop rules as they are.

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It takes a VILLAGE, as they say, to do ANYTHING these days. A LOT of TIME, EFFORT, and MONEY, for very little reward. I spent 4 years with the Handler's Racing Association, that's the all volunteer, non-profit group, that has operated Bremerton Raceway since 1959 (We're coming up on SIXTY YEARS now!!!!!). What "I" learned was, 10% of the people do 90% of the work; THINK ABOUT THAT FOR JUST A MINUTE!!!!! Everyone wants to go drag racing, but NO ONE really wants to help/be accountable for putting on/helping with, an event. Our members would show up just to race for FREE, and NOT do any work. Show up LATE, don't do any work, unload their car, race, don't do any work, again, don';t do any work, then go home, and leave the rest of us to do takedown (this was when it was still a COMPLETELY portable drag strip on a condemned runway at Bremerton National Airport). It's no longer that way with permanent Jersey barriers, tower, stands, PA system, fencing, etc. It used to almost incense me to the point of physical violence, but that's not really me at all. Let me say that again; 10% of the people do 90% of the work. It really should be the other way around with 90% of the people doing ALL the work. That's how things survive!!! VOLUNTEER!!!!! Get involved!!! It's really not that hard, and like Uncle Sam say's, "it's the toughest job you'll ever love.". Then, when we lose a dragstrip, or event in this case, everyone can't seem to understand "why"? Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution. Really, get off your ass! JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. cavman

cavman

Thanks guys for your dedication to nostalgia drag racing, and to the people who show up and put on such a great show. I am glad to hear the "Fallout" is still on the schedule. Maybe you all can work out an earlier date. Anyway, I'm still hoping to get my '53 done, along with my son's '65 Chevelle.

26. Okiedoker, More so than most, I get it. As of October 20th, The Dragstrip Riot, has 2 events, under it's belt. From it's inception, the goals, were almost spot on, with those of TMD. One of my many jobs, is event coordinator. Despite planning much sooner, this time-around, still a boatload of work, putting it all together. The numbers this year were, 985 spectators, 150 Racers and 130 show-cars. If it were not for my partners in crime and the experienced staff, at Orlando Speedworld, would be near impossible, trying to hold down a full time job and all the other curve balls, life has thrown at me.
    The Meltdown Drags was inspiration, from the start. Thanks for all you and your crew did, to make this world, a little better place to be.
    JT
    Pres: Misfires Car Club.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and cs39ford like this.
  27. SLCK64

SLCK64

I wonder if they want to have more of the earlierish flip top nitro cars run? That DEFINiTLY really brings the crowds out.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I screwed around too long and missed it. Bummer, but I totally get it.

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey roothawg get your car out dust it off and come to George rays in may there is a thread about it here on the H.A.M.B.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20170715_063128.jpg
    I have said it on a couple of other threads but I will say it again here on the official one as well. Dad and I feel truly blessed to have had the opportunity to participate in the Meltdowns. The couple of passes we made there with the Austin rank in the top 10 of things I have accomplished. They were bucket list moments. But more importantly the friends we have made along the way over the past few years are priceless. I wanted to say something about how amazing the event was but that is really not correct. It was more than an event, it was an atmosphere. It was a time machine that effortlessly transported you back to the early days of drag racing. A place from where I left kicking and scratching when it was over and we had to return home. As many have said it will be missed next year but it is with complete empathy for the MDA guys. Personally I think they were a bit short sited originally when they created the event. As they have said they just wanted a cool early drag racing affair to play with their cars and maybe coax a few forgotten hot rods out in the sun again. Short sited only in the fact they didn't realize how many people wanted the exact same thing! The Meltdowns quickly spiraled to the point that the MDA team spent more time working on our behalf than playing on theirs. So again thank you for all the hard work. Now get out there and build and race those cars! My only hope is you enjoy it as much as the joy you have given us.

NOW with that being said....AND this being the 2019 Meltdown Thread here on the HAMB...Lets get back to business shall we:
    "Jackson if there is Meltdown Drags in 2020 my Cobra is going to suck what ever paint is left off that "Cacklefest" Hemi Digger of yours! LMAO!