Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2018 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 12, 2017.

1. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

What is that? Neato! My slant runs really good, no complaints. It surprised a lot of guys through the years... LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No, but I would let him drive the Salt Shaker. :D

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

James as much as I would like to go I have a prior commitment and just can't this year but I will say this the decision has been made that there will nitro in the tank next year I gotta save every penny I can so I can afford a few more parts like a really good clutch and a few other expensive parts I'm only gonna be able to do this once so I might as well make it count I was told by a well educated nitro guru that the best parts are just good enough

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I saw these at the final day of Drag Week today. 0E6636B4-B268-4868-8AEB-61B3E1D87E88.jpeg AD830DD4-4A58-41F7-9C50-BA075566F9DD.jpeg 268C1471-57B5-477B-AD4F-D668CCFD2B06.jpeg

5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

It's the end of the Meltdown Drags as we know it.

Back in 2010 the stars aligned and the Meltdown Drags was born from an idea conceived in Koop's basement 5 years previously. We just wanted a fun place to race our vintage cars; hence the term we coined "vintage drag meet". The Meltdown was the first event of its kind, with strict criteria.

Our goal was simple, to get old race cars out of the sheds & barns, and back onto the racetrack for everyone to appreciate and create a real 60's style drag meet. That was it, oh and to have the most fun of our lives. The best thing that came out of it was the friends we made.

As it grew, so did the amount of time and people it took to manage it. As you all know, this event has become more work than fun for the crew. As a result, we have decided to take a step back and not have the Meltdown Drags 2019.

We are not going away and we are not disbanding. We're just going to focus on building cars, racing them with many of you and having fun!

Just remember that the future is not written.

We still have 2 other great events:

Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest in June

Fallout #4 in September in Rock Falls, WI

We will put any updates on www.vintagedragracing101.com.

Thank You for your support,

The Meltdown Drags Crew

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

All I can say is WOW. I did not see this coming. For the last 6 years it has been the highlight of my summer. The Pie Crust event last year was really fun but the Meltdown was the closest I believe to how it was in the 60s. It will be missed I am sure. You guys were and are the best and deserve great credit for the events you put on.

I plan on attending the Pie Crust but the Fall event is a bit far for me. With my bad back the trip to Byron was about as far as I could go without it going out. The trek to Wisconsin would have me in traction I am afraid. Hopefully the Meltdown will make a return in 2020. There is a local event at Milan but when you have to decide if you are going to run in the box or no box class it ruins the whole deal. Once again you guys did a great job while it lasted. Jim

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

As Jim said, didn't see this coming. :(
    I do want to thank the MDA for their hard work to put this event together.
    I am honored that you let me be a small part of this event, and look forward to seeing you next year at the fallout. :)

8. vitamindart

vitamindart

I will second the WOW, we found the Melt Downs 2 years ago, my family Loved the event & the people involved were/are awesome.

9. cs39ford

cs39ford

WOW. But I understand it grew and took a lot of effort and people to run it Would like to thank all the people involved to put the MDA show on Swapmeet ,Car show, Racing,Etc. Thank you for the memories. Maybe the replacement for 2019 will still draw the cool stuff. At least I will check it out

Swamp Rat 4 and loudbang like this.
  10. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

DubG and I would like to Thank all of you for allowing us to play along in the last three Meltdown Drags. We made a lot of great memories and met many great people. Thank you for the opportunity.

11. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

That BITES !
    Hoping this is just a 1 year hiatus.
    I understand this decision if it was more work than fun though.

Doctorterry, cs39ford and loudbang like this.
  12. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Maybe consider The Meltdown Drags an every other year event.

13. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thanks for all the hard work. We had a blast!

Swamp Rat 4, loudbang and cs39ford like this.
  14. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Thanks guys. It was an awesome event. Looking forward to the Glory Days event.

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That Sucks!
    I was able to go with my son for the last 2 years and it was awesome.
    Thanks for the last 2 years:)

16. sc5080

sc5080

Although I can understand the reasons, to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Hopefully a similar event will emerge and “Sheets & Giggles” and I will again have a place to go play. Unfortunately Byron is just to far away for us to travel for a one day event so the Pie Eating Contest is not an option.

17. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Thank You to every one in the Meltdown Crew for all the hard work time and dedication you put into Vintage drag racing. The Meltdown Crew made it possible for thousands of people to see what Drag Racing looked like in 1966, Learned a lot from some very smart people, made many good friends, smiles and memory's. :cool:

Thank You and see you at the other events.:)

18. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I don’t think it can be said enough. Thank you so much for the hard work and great times. I couldn’t remember if I had shared this before. But this is my 15 year old sons room. It just goes to show you how much of a positive role model your small group has become. We have went to the meltdowns the last five years and competed the last 3. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, Chucky, Swamp Rat 4 and 5 others like this.
  19. Wow ! again,...just got the word from a friend, now I see this thread,..I really hate to hear there's no 2019 Meltdown , but at least we still have the Piecrust Drags to look forward to;...maybe this year it'll grow ,...why wouldn't the Byron Dragway take over this event?...it's one of the most favorite and money making events?

It's been a pleasure volunteering at this event for many years.

I'm gonna get "Bring back the Meltdown Drags" bumper stickers made...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thank You MDA...

It saddens me to hear that the Meltdown Drags are no-more. It has been and honor and privilege to have been part of the last 7 events. You're time and efforts as volunteers made this event one of the great ones and literally pain free for the fans and racers alike. You folks have treated me exceptionally well over the years. I will cherish the memories, the friendships and the stories...

It seems like yesterday we were double dog dared to attend and then a few months later 3 tired guys pulled into Byron Raceway with the Scout on an open trailer. I can still hear the staff at the gate exclaiming .... "Holy Crap... You Showed Up !!" ... 16 Hrs was the long distance award back then... That trophy is in a place of honor on my trophy shelf. How the event grew and times changed.

Making the beer bottle will likely remain the high water mark of my racing career.

Good luck with your next adventures
    See You at The Fall Fall Out 4

Thank You All !!

IMG_0598[1].JPG

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    loudbang, Chucky, enloe and 5 others like this.
  21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Hat off to you guys and gals that have made the Meltdown Drags so fun and popular. Been there all 9 years and had some of the best times and have made friends with some great people. A big thank you, it will be missed. A positive look ahead to the Pie Eating Contest!!

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood and well deserved time off. As others have said hats off to the entire MDA and their efforts. You guys have done an amazing job and I can not thank you enough...it has been a blast.

My only request...please start an "Until Next Time Meltdown Thread" so we can continue to bench race, talk smack, and keep up with one another until we race again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am sad to hear this as well. And I am not sure what I will miss more, the event or checking in on the meltdown drag thread. it is the main reason I come on the H A M B. Many of you have become online friends and I enjoy remembering the days that I raced before electronics and delay boxes. Well there is still the pie contest and Fall out and I did break down and buy the 64 Marauder so maybe we can start a new thread and follow the updates of everyone's vintage drag car projects. After the first of the year I can add a "One Bad 64 Merc" thread. It will only be fast enough to need Pie crust's anyhow lol. Larry

loudbang, saltflats and enloe like this.
  24. Hooley

Hooley

I too am sadden from this news, I do understand and want to thank you for letting me be a part of the Melt Down Drags. It was the greatest event.

loudbang likes this.
  25. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Damn. Will look for another great Father/Son weekend trip. I appreciate the crew that put this event on over the years.

loudbang likes this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So Larry.....you racing in the geriatric class and taking your family with you? :oops: :D

0NE BAD 51 MERC, enloe and loudbang like this.
  27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Yeah James, she is a bit of a boat, but I have always love the early to mid 60s Galaxie's and Merc's. Besides I pulled her up along side my brothers 62 Impala and there is at least three more 30 packs of trunk space! lol If I can't beat ya I will still have a beer for you! Larry

Gammz, enloe, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

As a follow up to my earlier post, and in my desire that the Glory Days event will be successful, I can only hope that Byron Dragway will follow this thread in some form to see that we are some of the guys that get it and there are legitimate reasons that we get it. As I see it there are nostalgia events (a probably decent number IMO) and there are vintage events like the Meltdown that are few and far between. I do not believe there are many people that were more infected with the 60s drag racing era moreso than myself. My wife can attest to it when I have hooked up my trailer and invited her to come along to Wisconsin and Alabama to drag home old junk that raced back then just for the sake of saving an era (which I am not sure is really possible). There were many times back in the 60s that I spent 4 days a week at the track as part of a team that raced two Corvettes (gas and stock). I attended many drag races since and even though I have enjoyed some nostalgia events in the last 10 years or so there is nothing that compares to the Meltdown IMO. At the last 6 Meltdowns, once I would leave the trailers in the pits you would think we really had a way back machine and that I travelled back in time to the 60s.

We all know there were various reasons for the success of the Meltdown but the cutoff and the requirements (with wheels, scoops, graphic etc) helped make it successful. It irritated some possibly with the 66 cutoff as there were a lot of Camaros and Mustangs (and others) that raced in the late 60s and early 70s. I truly enjoyed the MP cars of the late 60s and early 70s probably as much as I enjoyed the gassers of the 60s, so I happen to like some of the down stances with super tricks of the 70s but I applauded the Meltdown crew for sticking to their guns and enforcing a 66 cutoff-it was their choice that was well thought out. I hope that the cutoff date contemplated by Byron is a reasonable date that allows for pretty much the same 60s vibe. I am encouraged that so far Byron is referring to their upcoming event as Vintage and hope they will try and keep it truly vintage. I can understand expanding the year cutoff, but I hope it does not turn into an event where wing cars, or nitrous cars or turbo cars etc and the equivalent are celebrated. They are great cars in their own right but I do not believe they are truly vintage and I selfishly want the real 60s vibe to continue in July at Byron Dragway.

That being said I hope that the MDA crew figure out a way to continue their good work in bringing back an era. We all know of the expense that we incur with preparing and bringing our cars. The MDA crew not only bring their own cars but they also work the event and have expense for hotel rooms and spend time away from their families to help make the Meltdown such a successful event. I have been appreciative and amazed that the MDA has done this with no demand for an entry fee to help defray their out of pocket expenses. If I take my car to the local lawn chair show I have to pay to enter (which amazes me at times) so I really appreciate what the MDA has done. I hope that this is more a hiccup than the beginning of the end. You are appreciated more than you can imagine.

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well said Jim

0NE BAD 51 MERC and loudbang like this.