Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PSA: Johnny Law Motors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

KNOCKOFF

Unkl Ian likes this.
  2. I was hoping to hear that from MMM 1693

Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've bought a few parts from Gearhead and been happy with the but they were on the line of bling parts rather than critical parts .
    I've got a Helix "universal" crossmember laying out in the weeds plus a set of their tube control arms that I'd sell if someone wants a "cheap" fit it your self front end.
    It will probably go under a little 1200 lb ot roadster with a 16 Valve 1600 cc banger in it if it doesn't find another home one of these days.

4. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

here is the article .. https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/...-2013_Unsafe_Aftermarket_Steering_Columns.pdf

also can be found right here on The H.A.M.B..
    Aftermarket Steering Column Safety Alert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIFESTYLZ, May 6, 2013.

THANKS EVERYONE ~!! :) although it could be fair to say that its torn the crutch right out of my niteshirt..

Hnstray likes this.
  5. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will say with all confidence that they are NOT knockoffs!

Max Gearhead likes this.
  6. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i have purchased parts from skip white and had to return afew their customer service is not the best but i bought a 383 forged rotating kit from them and it was very nice with no problems at all their small parts fuel pumps valve covers are the same as all the fleamarket guys carry the rotating kit was all scat and has been trouble free

7. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Having read a bit of him in my time I am reminded of John Ruskin – not the most famous quote on the subject, mind, because that is probably a misattribution, but large parts of Unto This Last, e.g.
    ' “I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work.” By all means, also, choose your bricklayer; that is the proper reward of the good workman, to be “chosen.” The natural and right system respecting all labour is, that it should be paid at a fixed rate, but the good workman employed, and the bad workman unemployed. The false, unnatural, and destructive system is when the bad workman is allowed to offer his work at half-price, and either take the place of the good, or force him by his competition to work for an inadequate sum.'​

9. Jeff J

Jeff J

I can say I got suckered in to there scheme with a finned aluminum disc brake cover that goes over a GM caliper about 6-7 years ago . They sent out the covers but no brackets and it was on E -Bay saying it was a warehouse that was found and selling out parts close out and it was junk . I called and called them for the brackets but never received them, as they said they would ship them next week .I guess they just didn't say what next week they where shipping. I finally make some brackets and cutting them to fit . It was a knock off of another brand that was making them but a poor design is all I can say . I can say now I am happy with the covers but 30 some hours to make them fit wasn't worth the price . My biggest complaint is why are they allowed to have a booth at S.E.M.A. AND OTHER SHOWS WHEN THERE PRODUCTS ARE UN SAFE

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Can you begin to imagine the brouhaha that would occur if show promoters started passing judgment on ALL the products of vendors who only, after all, rented space to show their wares. Not only arguments, but lawsuits would soon follow. The promoters are renting space, not endorsing the goods and services offered in that space. What you are asking is for someone else to do the due diligence for you that is primarily your responsibilty.

Many times over the years I have seen the quote "there is not a thing that some man cannot figure how to make cheaper and sell for less. Those who consider price only are their lawful prey". Pretty well says it right there. And, it's corollary.."We get what we pay for". (generally so, but rarely, if ever, more than)
    Ray

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Unfortunately you don't always get what you pay for.
    Sometimes you pay more, but get the cheap part that some clever guy has repackaged and sold at a higher price.

williebill likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sure, that happens. But when we have paid the price for 'quality', we have a right to demand that quality..or our money back....not so much when we bought the cheapo price...and we "got what we paid for".

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We seem to be in a phase where even though people can afford better it has become almost a game to find products as cheaply as they can then go on the internet and complain about the decision THEY made.
    When did e-bay become the go-to source for hot rod parts, seems as if people never look in the car magazines anymore for their parts.
    I never had money to burn, unless you count my hot rod hobby, but I don't put price over quality.
    I would think that if people spent the same amount of time earning the extra money for known quality components as they do sitting in front of their computer typing all these rants on product reviews they might end up with better results.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I bought one of their "BBC, 468 kits", that was supposedly, "fully balanced". Pistons came in an unopened and sealed box (???), as were the aftermarket rods (???), rings (???), and bearings (???); the only thing that had been opened, was the forged Eagle crank. Flexplate and dampener were also included, and both in unopened, sealed boxes (balanced to assembly ???). How did they "balance" this engine rotating assembly? Well, they took "known", factory bob weights, and balanced the crank ONLY to that, not a "precision balance" like they alluded too. So basically, it was't a "balanced rotating assembly" at all. Yes, I contacted them, and got the typical run-a-round. Yes, MY machinist did a precision balance, and even assembled the short block. He also had to POLISH the crank, because if it had been used "as is", it would have ate the bearings in short order; the other parts were spec on. Good parts for the most part, that would require some attention to detail work, but terrible sales tactics by a "well known" vendor. Just do a Google search of Skip White, or even their E-Bay sales feedback. Be aware, there are TWO Skip White's, and they are actually related as Father and Son; one is far better than the other. You want to deal with the Father. The Son should be doing time! We ALL want the most for our dollars, and we all want it to be as cheap as possible (this hobby is't cheap), but there's a threshhold where vendors begin to take advantage of us by flat out lying to us, not providing what they say they will/are doing, and then not standing behind what they sell us. Be careful who you deal with, read whatever you can (Google, E-Bay feed back, etc), and proceed with caution; like everything else, there are people out there who's only intent, is to separate you from your hard earned money, and then sneak off into the dark. As they say, let the buyer beware.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  15. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I was looking at an item on ebay from TopEndSpeed. They have all the looks of a Hoffman Group company. Anyone do any business with them? Supposedly located in Tampa Florida.

Fordors likes this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

I agree about the eBay mentality. I do shop there but only to buy things of known quality. Cheap vega box vs a good price on a new Borgesen made Vega; no question which one to buy.
    I gave up on hot rodding magazines when the tech articles pretty much became commercials for products. Some parts are marketed by companies that do not even have an address listed for the building they operate out of, how can you trust where they source those parts?

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

First impression is they want to dazzle you with bull shit with the Ford and Chevrolet banners prominently displayed in some of their listings. Stainless u-joints packaged with no manufacturers label other than size? Red flag!
    Chromed (how well is open to question) spindles complete with a king pin kit for under $160? A decent king pin kit sells for $40 alone so what could you expect from the quality of the spindles?
    An earlier poster mentioned doing your homework. Truer words were never spoken.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Whatever happened to just scanning the Jegs or Summit websites/catalogs.

19. Jeff J

Jeff J

My question was how can they sell parts that are un safe

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know a good answer to that....who and what says the part(s) is/are unsafe? It would seem that unless there are government approval standards...like DOT approval of tires, etc., that apply to the parts they are selling then they can sell whatever someone will buy....UNTIL...a truly unsafe part maims or kills somebody and a massive lawsuit takes a bite out of their hide. The latter is easier said than done. The only recommendation I have, and what I do myself, is to buy from established known reputation vendors and manufacturers whenever possible.

Ray

21. alchemy

alchemy

Gearhead is not Hoffman. Gearhead sells cheap Chinese stuff too, but they aren't Hoffman.

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

OK, maybe some things might be safe, but never the less quality should reign supreme. King pins are centerless ground before the cap is put on top. Is there any taper? How is the surface finish? The thrust bearings might have out of round balls in them, like some guys have found in knock off vega steering boxes. Spindle stub axles need to be on size for the wheel bearings.
    We really don’t know where Pete & Jake parts are manufactured but I would imagine they might be held to a higher standard. Also, if there was a question with something the Sloan’s would stand behind their product, do you think an operation like TopEndSpeed might do the same? Even if they do all you get is another back alley, sweat shop produced part.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  23. If you want to pay the money, there is quality stuff coming out of China as well.
    The problem is it’s just to easy to buy the cheapest shit on the planet there as well.
    Did you know China also has 4 grades of steel? Yes 1st grade is identical to what is made here in North America
    4th grade has the consistency of cheddar cheese!
    With everything in life it’s all about quality and you don’t necessarily need to pay top buck for quality, but doing your research is a must.

No one is going to give a flying shit about this hobby and it’s safety....... untill someone important dies (ie: politicians family member etc) then shit will hit the fan. Usually how it works, we don’t care about the masses untill it’s in my back yard!

Hnstray and dirty old man like this.
  24. R A Wrench, LowKat and Max Gearhead like this.
  25. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is a fact, but please don't just look at the photos.
    I know it doesn't have the glamorus chrome and shiny paint attraction that motivate most of us but this should be a glaring example of how little The Hoffman Group values the lives of its customers. You know if their steering related products are so seriously underengineered that the rest of their offerings can't be any better.

LowKat likes this.
  27. I like to buy from Yogi’s. You’re going to get name brand, quality parts, good service, and competitive prices. (Plus they are about 30 minutes from my home. A real, live speed shop / warehouse with real, live knowledgeable counter folks. How rare is that?).

Yogi is at a lot of shows, check him out. Here is a list of Brands he carries. http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/mode=brand/results_w.htm

Note: I am not affiliated with Yogi, except as a satisfied repeat customer.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

LowKat likes this.
  28. drunknbroke

drunknbroke

29. drunknbroke

drunknbroke

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have not bought Helix products....but I can tell you that Helix is one of the crappy product brands of the notorious Hoffman Group and should be avoided like a case of Syphilis. Hoffman Group has numerous brand names and advertises widely. There are many threads here on the HAMB about most of them.Do a thread search with 'Hoffman' and it should offer some insight.

i.rant, XXL__ and cretin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.