Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features So what's on the shop radio?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Oct 21, 2018.

1. PistolPete5150

PistolPete5150

Some OG Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Social D, Southern Culture On The Skids...

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band, Jerry Jeff Walker, Townes Van Zandt, Gary P. Nunn, Gary Stewart, Mama Janis, Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes are all on my Pandora stations. Like 50's, 60's rock and roll but get tired of the same dozen or so songs on Sirius. It's like they think there were only a very few bands in that era.

chryslerfan55 and dan griffin like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have loved pop/rock music since the 60s. Before that, of course, were the old time classics on the AM radio. But these days, the big portable stereo in the garage is hooked up to a powerful amp that has a plug for my Ipod. In the digital age, we use Ipods instead of loading our phone up with many songs. We also do not subscribe to those popular programs that charge monthly to store and listen to their lists of music. Old school still works, even if the “old school” started in the early 2000 with the first little Apple Ipod. We are now on the 5th gen Ipod Touch, that is running strong with a ton of mixed music.

Opening one of the garage drawers has access to cassette tapes in a variety of Sony Walkman Players from past ages. But, there is no comparison to those sounds to the digital age. So, old school is now in the new school with digital MP3 music. I was guilty of listening to my favorite playlist from beginning to end. It is well over the battery lifespan, so after an hour and half, it is time to charge it back up.

Pat Metheny

But, what I discovered was that the first set of songs was always being played and I was happy with that. One day I happened to accidentally hit random play on the last, 4th gen Ipod. Now, this was a surprise, as the style of music was so random that there was stuff that I had not heard since they were first loaded as a batch of MP3 songs way back then in a 2nd gen. Ipod Touch. San Lorenzo by Pat Metheny, Cortez by Dave Matthews, and Old Man by Neil Young were recently heard on the random play.
    Dave Matthews

Jnaki

Neil Young

I do agree with MikeC in his mode. I do like silence when drawing or thinking how I am going to accomplish a task without killing myself or the project. Sometimes, cool music gets in the way to better thoughts and planning. But, if I have to have music, Jimi Hendrix to Gwen Stefani allows a ton of different sounds and follows our music history in So Cal.

We even listened to Katy Perry's Fireworks, when our then, 5 year old granddaughter loved watching (and dancing to) that cool video on the weekly sleepovers.

Katy Perry

So yes, it is on random play, as a surprise.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Ha ha...... I needed that! Thanks a bunch.... :D

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  5. Pandora and Sirius 50s,60s,70s on bluetooth thru a speaker.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Pandora here also.

Steve and Seagulls as a station. You get ALOT of good tunes...

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Latigo like this.
  7. Latigo

Latigo

Radio programming has just sucked for several years. Public broadcasting or Pandora. Don't have Sirius. Old School cassettes in the shop. Getting back into the Kingston Trio. Go figure!

8. Deuces

Deuces

Rock-n-Roll...... :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  9. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Usually have the flat screen TV turned on to racing, car shows, college football (screw the NFL)...

chryslerfan55 and TagMan like this.
  10. A little bit of mid term election horse poop and a lot of 92.9 Boston Radio.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Is there an election coming up??

12. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, go vote!!!!!

brokedownbiker likes this.
  13. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No radio anymore; when I had one it was the local classic rock station but now it is the iPod blasting thru my stereo. Right now it is The Reverend Horton Heat screaming about a Galaxie 500.

14. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

am 89.9 wulx out of Chicago , oh wait ,that was 40 years ago . where did the time go ?

F&J likes this.
  15. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show was a hugely underrated group. Kind of like Spike Jones in the 1950s. Tremendously talented musicians that made it sound like they were just clowning around. "Penicillin Penny" is one of my favorite songs by them. No radio airplay for that one

I spun the Doctor Hook's Greatest Hits LP about three months ago, but that wasn't in my shop. The turntable is in in the house, along with 800 albums. Unfortunately, my AV receiver that I have had since 2001 just croaked. The borrowed replacement has no phono input, so no vinyl will be spun for a while. I am shopping for a complicated mess ... a AV receiver that has Bluetooth, 4G video, all the other new bells and whistles, .... and a phono input. Trying to span 40 years of tech here. They are out there, got other expenses right now.

chryslerfan55, akoutlaw and Stogy like this.
  16. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

I started playing guitar in 1968 (at 8 years old) and love all things Classic Rock and early Metal. It was called "New Music" back then.;) I just finished a 10 year stint with a Classic Rock band, and that created a bit of a problem. If listening to some of these tunes, there is a corner of my brain labelled "Homework" and if a familiar old song is on, I have to be mentally working out how to play it. It is a bit of a distraction and gets in the way if I have to concentrate.

This has lead my to spend a lot of time listening to 97X, the Tampa Alternative channel. There is a lot of good new music out there, and I don't spend time charting chords while listening to it. My 35 year old neighbor is mindblown that I know some of the stuff he listens to, and in more detail sometimes.

I also really enjoy the weekly show "Live from Here" on NPR. It is a combo of some really eclectic music, rock, folk, funk, and radio comedy skits like in early days before TV.

chryslerfan55, ClayMart and F&J like this.
  17. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

E7974FF2-14D9-4C6A-9A6E-C29E7405A978.jpeg I’m sorry I couldn’t resist .....

v8flat44 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Generally ear plugs are in so radio is off. When they aren’t in I’ve been enjoying hometown Colter Wall’s new album, it’s fantastic.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Can't wait for the vintage Christmas music on WNIC FM100.3 here in Motown.... ;)

20. pnevells

pnevells

Sirius XM Outlaw Country

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Cream , Traffic , Clapton , CSN@Y , Beatles and some Hot Rod Walt.

22. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

KPIG 107.5 FM

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Anything Rolling Stones... rolling-stones-usa-lips-i7590.jpg

24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Am Into Revival Music On My Shop Radio.... wolfman-jack.png

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Sirius/XM usually on the Lithium station. Grunge all day

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

sha doobi

blowby likes this.
  28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

As a kid in the '70's-80's the music sucked and I knew it so I started off with classics; Chuck B, Bo D, Eddy C, Muddy, Django, Howlin' etc.... although I do appreciate other instruments for me it has to be basic guitar, bass, drums...although I respect pop, rap, disco, that really cliche country junk and electronic based music for their ability to catch the average listener....I just can't listen to it for long.... I get mad and start losing my train of thought and end up throwing tools around etc.