Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Identify this rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Victor William Bryant, Nov 5, 2018.

1. I purchased this bucket recently . I need help identifying it. What year/model do you think it is?

Attached Files:

2. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

Gonna need more pics

loudbang and Mr48chev like this.
  3. We'll need more/better pics than that to tell...

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One picture from the front doesn't tell us a hell of a lot. How about a side shot?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Here are a few more pictures .

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  6. raven

raven

The cowl is 28-9 model A. Looks like it was built using a sedan back grafted to a coupster front.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Thank you for your insight . It was sold as a 31 model A, but I couldn't find anything that resembled it via the google searches.

8. They do not look like Ford body parts to me.

X38 likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think you need to submit a whole lot more pictures.

10. Hombre

Hombre

With that cowl and body no way do I believe it is a 31 Model A.

11. henry29

henry29

Definitely not a 28-29 model A cowl, looks a lot like 25-26 dodge

dana barlow and X38 like this.
  12. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I go for the Dodge...……...

13. raven

raven

I have to agree upon a second look at the cowl that it’s not a Ford cowl.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. I have seen doors on a model a that had the same features but the body seems different. The 29 model a Ford roadster pickup is the closest I can match it to. I will look at the dodges from that era.

15. More pictures

Attached Files:

16. How is your car titled?
    Who sold it to you?
    Are you a first time hot rodder?
    Are you in the USA?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

17. It is titled as a 1931 ford tbucket It is my first hot rod. I purchased it from a local person from a Facebook ad in Georgia.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. badshifter

badshifter

It's not a Ford, a 31, or a T bucket. Do not drive it until somebody qualified and experienced with old cars checks it out. Cause that front end.....to start with no way looks safe. I don't care how many miles whoever drove it etc. It may be a super fun car and a great deal, whatever. Have it checked out BEFORE you drive it.

19. The bed and fenders are aftermarket but are metal.. No fiberglass . Part of the area behind the Firewall seems to have been replaced . The body is all metal and is mostly original

20. Love the wood grain dash!

21. Thanks for the advice to get it checked out. I will do so. The front end appears to be a standard suicide front end

dana barlow likes this.
  22. badshifter

badshifter

Nothing "standard" about anything that someone built. The shock shafts are rusty and I bet the mounts flex more than the shock works, the drag link rod end looks like it's almost all the way out of threads, and maybe doesn't have a jam nut on it, the tie rod is bent, the steering arms on the spindles will provide you with very bad steering Ackerman, that's just what's visible on a quick pic look. The car looks like it was driven tons based on the paint chips to all the suspension, but that doesn't mean you'll be as lucky as the last guy. I see what looks like weirdness under the steering box area at the frame Z.

I know you asked for help on the ID not a critique of the car, but being it's your first, keep asking questions about the construction.

anothercarguy and X38 like this.
  23. I appreciate any information. This is my first rod. I know little at this point

24. It's a hacked up body that someone has made from(probably) a four door. NOT a Ford four door!
    The only Ford parts I can see are the Model A front axle and the engine. The rest is home made.

As Badshifter says, please ask questions, because you need to know and you need to be safe.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  25. I see no nut at all.:eek:

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spindle arms are NOT supposed to face forward. That in itself is a double no-no. There is no Ackermann because of that. The HAMBer who suggested you get that relic checked out should be heard loud and clear.

X38 likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

does the keg in bed hold gas? might remove one of the interior door panels to see what condition of metal is, and to see if there are any welds to help give you more of an idea how well it is put together

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  28. The keg is the gas tank. I will be removing that feature.

29. Looks like the Dodge 4 dr body parts idea is right.

As badshifter advised, you really need to check out the construction quality and details, if the builder didn't replace the drag link when it came up too short, what other corners were cut, what else was overlooked, etc.

That is not actually a suicide front end; it is a spring over front end. Besides screwing the Akermann, forward tie rods make a statement about the builders knowledge and skill.

Looks like it could be a fun hot rod, that needs some attention. Nothing like running down the road in a roadster (even if it has a sbf).
    dodge 4dr.jpg

chriseakin and dana barlow like this.