Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 Ford Coupe seperating the wishbone from the front axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by James Mundstock, Nov 5, 2018.

1. James Mundstock

James Mundstock

I have the nuts off of the perches and put them back on with the nut nearlt flush with the perch threaded end. It has been soaked with PB Blaster. I put it in my hydraulic press and cannot get it to budge. Would heat on the axle where the perch goes through or heat on the top side of the wishbone help? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. sdroadster

sdroadster

Warm the axle, and continue using blaster or oil. If the axle is the right temp it will draw the oil in. Too hot and the oil will burn off. Soak and heat, then heat the axle to the verge of red, and start pressing on it.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

This is how I was able to remove the perches from my axle.

1. Loosen the nuts so that there are a few threads left before they come off the perches.

2. Heat the axle around the perch bolts until it is nice and hot.

3. Use an air hammer to drive the perch bolts out.

4. The nuts will keep the punch of the air hammer from slipping off the bolts and keep from damaging the threads.

With this method you should be able to reuse the perch bolts if desired. In my axle the bolts came right out. They were the original bolts when the car was built in 1936.

5. Use a good anti seize when reinstalling your perch bolts, someone will thank you later.

I cannot take credit for this method, but it was told to me by Joe from Joe’s Speed Shop, who had dropped my axle. He has done several thousand axles and said this method works best.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Here is a an instructional link that shows Vern Tardel removing perch bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Back in 1980 I worked with a tough old Russian toolmaker who was a guy of few words, and those were thickly accented. After hours I was stripping a 38 Ford 1 1/2 ton beam axle for plating and I asked him for the rose bud for the torch. Told him I was planning to heat red just the axle then pound out the pin with a BFH while it was hot. He said "no no no, I show you right way, watch". He helped me set axle wishbone assy on a heavy metal bench, filled a pail with water which he set beside the bench and then brought over the rose bud torch. Heated the perch area of the axle all red and then immediately poured the pail of water all over it. He said " go coffee and back half hour". Upon my return he picked up a 2 pound hammer, swung once .....then twice and the perch pin went sailing across the shop. He then said "you do other one now" which I did and same result and not a mark on the threads. This was in rust country Canada on a heavy pitted axle which I ended up using for 100K miles. Learned a lot from that old Russian.

6. We've used the heat and quench parts on similar mechanical items at work, and I was surprised how well it worked.

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

When you heat something red hot and immediately throw cold water on it, doesn't that harden the metal and make it brittle.

bct and topher5150 like this.
  8. We didn't heat it that hot. Yes, depending on temperature and quenching agent, the properties will change.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Welcome to hot rodding an old ford

You can google and search it if you want. But a big fucking hammer and heat is what’s going to get it out 9/10 times

I generally just let it cool off on its own

10. bct

bct

Only ever had one that I had to drill out and even that was easy enough. The hard part is getting them out in a condition to be reusable.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I would never heat anything red hot and throw water on it if I wanted that part to still hold my car up off the ground.

Tim likes this.