Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody ellingson, Nov 5, 2018.

1. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

So I’ve been round and round with just about everyone and I know this is the place I’ll come to a final answer. I have a running motor and tranny I’m buying for $300, so whatever it turns out to be will definitely help my 52 go down the road with a little more “umph” than the tired 235!

The dilemma is that is it a 302, 327, or 350?!

Engine Code: V0513FB
    Casting Number: 3970010

Engine code is by the front of the passenger valve cover etched into the pad that points towards a ‘55 265 OR ‘69 327. Casting numbers on the back of the block drivers side point towards a ‘69 302, ‘68-69 327, or ‘69-80 350. Any of these will be fun and I can’t complain on the price, but I’d like to be as certain as possible so I don’t act like I know what I’m talking about without the knowledge of what I’m talking about to back. I like to be informed!

So let the debate begin. NOTE: the motor is not in my possession yet so I am not able to check anything else at this time until I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

010 block wouldn’t be a 1955 block a 55 block wouldn’t have the 3 bolt motor mount boss on the sides or screw on oil filter provision in the block either. The 010 block is the most common block I believe and could be either the 350 or 327. Measure the stroke and know for sure.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    cody ellingson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. redo32

redo32

nastyz28 calls it a 1969 327 235hp 2 barrel in a full size body. V stands for Flint engine plant May 13.

cody ellingson likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

FB is a two letter code, which they only used through 1969. 1970 and later engines used 3 letters. The block casting number 3970010 was first used in 1969. So, it's a 1969 engine.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm finding 69 327 with a powerglide as the second FB suffix besides the 55 265 powerpack powerglide which the block casting number says it isn't.
    Late 68 and 69 302 Z28 engines had the suffix code DZ according to http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-engine-suffix-codes.asp?group=3

A quick tutorial is that 55 V8 engines did not have the oil filter boss on the bottom of the block next to the bellhousing. They used a canister filter that mounted to the top of the engine or didn't have a filter at all if the original owner was a real cheap skate.
    It would not have side mount bosses on the block as Russco mentioned.

The trans behind the 69 327 should be an aluminum powerglide if it is the original trans. It should have a two barrel carb on the engine if it is original. Being as that is 49 years old anything is possible carb or trans wise.

In 67,68 or 69 Z28 202 engines had 4 speeds behind them I'm not sure you could order a 302 Z with an automatic then as it was the factory race car. If it was a real deal 69 302 for a Z28 it would be worth a lot more than the asking price to certain Camaro restorers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    cody ellingson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Normally I would but like I said it isn’t in my possession quite yet. I’m just trying to do some homework before I pick it up. Thanks for the info on the 55 though. I knew it didn’t have the screw on filter and had the canister up top, but was unaware of the 3 bolt motor mount boss.

7. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

I was running the same numbers through nastyZ28 and mortec to come out with that as well. It was crazy that it says ‘55 or ‘69. That’s quite the difference in range of years. A first gen ‘55 265 would have been kind of cool since it was the introductory v8 for Chevy.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy reused engine suffix codes a lot, you need more info than just those two letters to identify an engine.

9. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Man that z28 motor with a 4 speed might have been pretty bitchin! Make the cruiser a bruiser! As the motor and tranny sits now, it has a holley street performer intake with a Quadra-jet 4 bbl carb backed by a th350 tranny that was rebuilt at some point. I’m keeping the 235 around, but not in this car.

10. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Man that z28 motor with a 4 speed might have been pretty bitchin! Make the cruiser a bruiser! As the motor and tranny sits now, it has a holley street performer intake with a Quadra-jet 4 bbl carb backed by a th350 tranny that was rebuilt at some point. I’m keeping the 235 around, but not in this car.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right up front, I'll say anything is possible but...........it ain't a 302.

XXL__ and cody ellingson like this.
  12. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

V0513FB, according to what I’ve seen, was either a ‘55 265 or the ‘69 327. I had imagined that since the engine code called for those two motors and the casting number also called out a 327, that the best bet was a 327. I was going to check the head casting numbers as well but with SBC parts being so interchangeable I will need the motor here to really dig into it. I know you are the go to guy for this that’s why I messaged you the other day!! Vast knowledge!!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And, if the heads have accessory bolt holes and they were married to that block when it left the engine plant it's not a 55 265.
    Oh yeh, does it have an oil filter?

14. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Yessir it does. Spin on, back drivers side of the motor

15. squirrel

squirrel

There are others here who are pretty sharp on this stuff, too....

16. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Sorry the response has been so late but I’m trying to be better about not leaving threads dead. I found out it was a 1969 327 with camel hump 461 heads, and in taking the valve covers off I found a very clean set up! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

Do you plan on taking the heads off????...
    I would love to see those chambers and intake ports.... :)

18. squirrel

squirrel

May 9 1963 casting date on that head, eh?

19. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

You know I’m not 100% sure yet. Originally I was going to and do new head gaskets and check the overall condition of the motor, but haven’t decided yet. I’m sure I will get to it eventually here. This winter is going to be gathering parts to do the swap next winter. I plan on running the 235 until that time.

20. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

From what I’ve read that would be the way it looks.