Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm a dumb ass!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grandpa's truck, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Grandpa's truck

Grandpa's truck

I have a 1940 Chevy pu kc that belonged to my grandpa. It has been sitting since about 1970 parked because of a rod knock.He had purchased a 1953 235 pg motor and put in the back of the truck where it has set as well. I have rebuilt the engine and run it up to temp several times waiting to finish the brakes so I can finally it again. I used to drive it back and forth in his driveway when I was 12 years old. Here is where the dumb ass play's in. I happened to look in a parts bucket and staring back at me was 12 rod bolt lock nuts. So off comes the oil pan unless someone can convince me that they are not necessary. Just sayin.

loudbang likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

chevy quit using them in later years....and hundreds of millions of cars never had them, and the rod nuts stay on.

If the rod nuts were torqued properly, lock nuts are not necessary.

3. Grandpa's truck

Grandpa's truck

Question of the day! Why is there never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do it over?

BigO, F&J, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'd say have a good time on the re-do.
    I have no experience with this, just like to sleep well.
    I did a timing chain Saturday and couldn't remember if I torqued the fuel pump excentric bolt.
    I barely slept.
    Sunday I found out it was tight after all.

5. Take you a couple mins

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

X2 ^^^^

7. Many moons ago... I knew a couple of pot heads, they rebuilt a VW engine while partaking of the weed. Get it buttoned up and come across a loose bearing shell on the bench. Take it allllll apart.... turns out there was an extra bearing 1/2 and they never noticed it... or maybe they put an old one back in?

czuch, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^ This sound like “asking for a friend “
    story, LOL

9. topher5150

topher5150

I did something to the front suspension of my wife's car once, got everything back together took it for a test drive, and all seemed fine. The wife started complaining about loud noise from the front when she drove for about a week. I took it for a test drive and couldn't hear anything, and told her not to worry. She told me again to look at it again because it was still making noise. I got the jack and tire iron out to take off the tire, and turned out that all 5 lug nuts on that tire were on finger tight.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Bite the bullit and put them on just un case.

czuch, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. if squirrel said they are not needed i would believe him, BUT, i would drop the pan and put them on. just to "clear" my mind of another "what if".

12. I always find unnecessary stuff left over when I rebuild something......:eek::confused:

clem, Danny Brown, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  13. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

If I have left over parts I like to think it was over engineered to start with

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

zzford, clem, Danny Brown and 6 others like this.
  14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

My dad went to the Carter Carburetor factory school in St Louis in the 40's . He told me his instructor always kept carb screws in his apron pocket because there was always a few smart asses in each class that knew it all. He would lean over their shoulder during final assembly and slip a spare screw in the parts basket and just happen to pass by again at the opportune time to then ask said smart ass why he had a extra screw leftover, then make the student tear the carb down in front of the class to find what screw was left out. At the end of the re-teardown he would say I'll be damned I wonder where that screw came from.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! My first roadster (channeled 'A' Cabrio over Deuce rails, stock firewall, Deuce 'K' member, NOT modified for trans removal) I was 15 here...
    I hung the engine from the chain hoist, (the 'new' one I built, 276" flattie, JE pistons, Merc crank, Weber F2 cam, Edelbrock heads & 2X2 intake) but had the wrong pressure plate...Obtained the 'right one', but got interrupted and set it on the flywheel, with the 6 bolts started...
    When I returned, must have tightened the bolts, installed the trans, then set engine and trans in, mated to the driveshaft and cups.
    Walked to the bench and tool chest, lifted a shop towel, and spotted the CLUTCH DISC! Big 'DUHH!'
    The con rod 'pal nuts' were in place, however. (Genuine Ford parts, had to use 'em!) :p

czuch and alanp561 like this.
  16. Funny, that's how I teach.

17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Those are spares..... the factory always includes those just in case.

18. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was an apprentice, I had an instructor jokingly tell me
    “If you put something together, you have parts left over and it still works. You are one step ahead of the engineer that designed it”
    LOL

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

God loves dumb asses, look how many he made:D

zzford, Jibs, NashRodMan and 5 others like this.
  20. Fordors

Fordors

I have a few pals that are nuts but I never understood the need for Pal nuts.
    I properly torqued nut doesn’t need them, millions of engines and trillions of RPM bear that out.

21. leadfoot1000

leadfoot1000

Better too many bolts than not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The last audible words heard were "here, hold my joint".

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m with squirrel on this also, but i know i would drop the pan and put them on or not sleep ever.

czuch likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Because Murphy's law is always around the corner. No cure for it so bound too bite everyone someday.

Deuces likes this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

If you let something go as easy as this is to fix, you set the wrong precedent! :rolleyes:

czuch likes this.
  26. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd stick with that story if I had been caught sending my wife out in a car with a loose wheel, too.

mountainman2 likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

I can't recall ever screwing up..... :):rolleyes::)

alanp561 likes this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'M A DUMB ASS!

me to. lets get some jackets made and start a club

blowby, Thor1, safetythird and 2 others like this.
  29. Naw... it wasn't me. At the time I wouldn't be caught dead working on a VW.

30. Years ago I worked at a transmission shop and the builder was just brilliant.
    He would have anywhere from 5 - 10 transmissions apart at any given time waiting for parts or authorization etc.
    I would always play around and drop and extra spring, check ball or clutch disc bearing etc on the shelf or parts bin. He alway’s knew and it would come flying out the building room and into the shop with Philip shouting “ ya can’t fuck with me wop!!!”
    Till one day he come out holding a spring and telling me “ ok stop fucking around ‘ cause this spring CAN fit in this tranny , but it does not need to be there”
    I told him it was not me and it belonged.
    I don’t think his ass unpuckered or the thought of beating me to death with a torque converter left his mind untill the car passed its road test!!
    Just for his piece of mind and my not wanting to get a beating I stopped playing around with “extra” parts!:D