Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest DAVE CRANE HAS CROSSED THE FINAL FINISH LINE !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 392

Sounds like a cool dude. Memories

Stogy likes this.
  2. I was lucky enough to meet Dave several years ago when I was invited by a friend of mine to come along to his place over Memorial Day weekend. What a great guy and just an awesome museum. R.I.P. Dave.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the analogy the thread title implies and if you don't mind I will expand on it. Just like all of you that knew him are standing behind the starting line watching him disappear down the drag strip, there are others on the other end of the quarter mile saying "look, here he comes!"

Stogy, 40ragtopdown and Harms Way like this.
  4. Biffo Crane

Biffo Crane
    from Michigan

Yep, he was a racer. Including a 1978 midget race at Butler Motor Speedway in which he crashed. He suffered 3rd degree burns and inhaled gas/fumes. It took him a year to recover, and a lifetime of chronic illness.

5. Biffo Crane

Biffo Crane
    from Michigan

Thank you for blocking his number. His widow is getting calls from race “friends” trying to vulture his collection. His family asks people not to call with inquiries and respect her privacy. Thanks, Biffo (his daughter)

Stogy likes this.
  6. Biffo Crane

Biffo Crane
    from Michigan

0C470BCD-7224-46CD-993D-30C049506B11.png Thanks to all for the kind words. Here’s a photo of my Dad as a child with his car loving dad and brothers. He’s in the striped shirt. He loved cars more than anything. -Biffo (his daughter).

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you had an opportunity to visit this memorial tribute for your late father...Racing is exciting but there certainly is risk and tragedy...despite his hardship he found happiness in people and in collecting cool stuff. Thanks for sharing your very personal loss Biffo.

That is such a cool old family pic and I would say a very rare car as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Max Gearhead likes this.
  8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright,..... Dave's Urn, Has to be the coolist in history !..... So long my friend, You were one of a kind... You touched so many lives... And you will live on in our memories.... Well Done !
    [​IMG]

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Moving...no doubt a very emotional time...thanks for sharing these personal moments @Harms Way. Thoughts again with you and those close to Dave...was that Tank from one of his racers?

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

it was off the shelf in the shop.

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

the service was a great tribute, to a great guy. we will keep his name alive.

Harms Way and Stogy like this.
  12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Gonna miss Dave I talked with him many times about Dragsters.

Stogy likes this.
  13. mutant55

mutant55

I never met Dave, but the Urn and the memorial are the best I have ever seen. My condolences to the family, he has obviously touched a lot of hearts.

Stogy likes this.
  14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

mutant, thanks for the kind words, I wish everybody could have met him. a lot of people did. he was sick for quite awhile. I kind of got him started on the hamb, but he had trouble moving around on it. but when I sent him different posts and threads to look at, he was in heaven! if you liked or loved early drag racing, you needed to know dave. he could speak the language. I could go on for along time with the stories. I could see dave go out know other way, but in that moon tank. we have lost another great historian. but we wont let the name fade away. he is still putting people together, making new friends. there is a lite, at the end of the quarter mile. keep it lit david!!!

Rich B., Harms Way and Stogy like this.
  15. R.I.P. Dave Crane.

Your love for our hobby & the people in is was quite obvious, you will be missed by many.
    Thoughts & prayers to his family & friends

God Bless
    Bill

16. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Met him once at his place with a friend of mine. Super nice guy with an amazing memory and love for vintage drag racing. Rest In Peace and God bless you brother.

17. verde742

verde742

Sound like a fun guy,, RIP

18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for the comments guys, he was a riot! as he would say, he had more fun than a boy chasing snakes!

Harms Way likes this.
  19. What a great shot of your father and grandfather together in that Brush runabout. It's a car that I imagine most people have never heard about, much less actually seen in running condition. This picture really struck me because I see a very similar Brush every year at the Newport Hill Climb. I'll think of your dad when I see it again next year. :cool:

IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2653.JPG

20. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

21. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well this is the plan, were planning on honoring david, at cobo hall, march 2019. if we can get this set up. dave was a great guy, that loved the basement at cobo!!! every year he could go, he was there! he would say theres some beautiful cars upstairs, but I got to get to the basement! he loved the people, the cars down there. so, we want dave to be down there again! were hoping to have one of his cars on display, and hope all of you that come to the show, will stop and say hi. dave would be happier than hell, if you would! any of you that know him, know how much he enjoyed going and being there. so please look us up if you attend. thanks! rich martin P.S. I THINK THE GIZZLE HOPPER COMP COUPE WILL BE WITH US!