Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I Bought a 1957 Mercury Montclair Convertible, Now what??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Nov 1, 2018.

1. 55styleliner

55styleliner

It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I brought home a 1957 Mercury Montclair Convertible with the 368 Turnpike Cruiser Engine (same as Lincoln). Now what? leave it stock or mild custom? I'm thinking lowering it a couple inches, Capri caps and lake pipes perhaps.

IMG_2209.jpg

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That’s a beauty,please don’t “AMT” model kit it beyond recognition , :eek:less is more.
    Having said that what you’re suggesting is perfect IMHO.:D

Hnstray, arkiehotrods, 60F250 and 9 others like this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Pretty cool the way it is...

Hnstray, upspirate, BigDogSS and 7 others like this.
  4. scott39

scott39
    from Boston

Lower it alittle but keep the rest u dont see them alot today!!!!!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Awesome, x 2 on what i.rant said. Keep it mild...you just don't see them. Does it have dual quad set up?
    My dad almost bought one w/2 4s....smoked the tires so he bought a 58 Lincoln a year later. I loved that Merc !! Enjoy the ride ! m

6. I would Drive it like it was until you start to use to it
    and than decide what you Want to do.

Just My 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Foul

55styleliner and scott39 like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just drive it.. Whatever you do always keep everything to return it back to stock. Not many left...

Hnstray, Pufff and 55styleliner like this.
  8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The plan is to definitely keep it a very comfortable road worthy car. It is the single 4bbl setup. It needs a lot of TLC, nothing major, the paint, chrome and interior are all pretty nice. The only reason I am even considering the Capri caps is because the tires are old and I have some 15" wheels with new wide whites that will bolt on. The originals are 14", cheaper to buy some cool caps than new whites.

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Chrome god!

dana barlow likes this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

Step up for the new 14" wide whites of the proper width for 1957, lower it about 3" front and rear, adjust the skirts so they fit properly, install some mild glasspacks and enjoy it. These cars were so cool there's no reason to change the body at all...and please, don't put a bunch of gee-gaws on it. Nice car!

upspirate, czuch and scotty t like this.
  11. That thing already looks like a juke box. Don't add anything. Drop it a little and drive it and enjoy it.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks great as is, but I do like 15s.. I like the bellow of duals that sound just rite especially on a stock lookin beauty like this, Ive also heard the term lakes pipes used a million times but not exactly sure what that is, Is it a brand of side pipes? twin straights or?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  13. oldsman41

oldsman41

14. Mostly not a big fan of unmodified, but drive it like it is, i love it

Texas57 and 55styleliner like this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I really like it. I have always wanted a 50's convertible and that one has style for sure. I would see no harm in lowering it with springs and blocks and swapping around some different tires and caps, not like it couldn't be put back, and I do like a mild custom.

55styleliner likes this.
  16. 59Tele

59Tele

Perfection is right under your nose. It's rare and it was cool 50 years before you signed the check.

Hnstray, czuch and flatford39 like this.
  17. shannon cones.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

A 57 Mercury Montclair was as close to being over the top as you could get in 1957. Please leave it alone. Besides what more could you possibly do to it?

Gary

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

When my father got his new 57 Mercury, the first thing he did was get 15" rims and tires. I grew up looking at 56 Mercury hubcaps. Years ago, I got 57 tail light lenses from ebay. They are flat, so my question is: Are the flat lenses an inner lense?

20. Slopok

Slopok

Hang a set of dice from the mirror and consider it done!:cool:

firstinsteele, czuch and 55styleliner like this.
  21. Trade it to me and take my '47 Ford.

loudbang and Rick & Jan like this.
  22. I concur with above. drive it. Make it comfortable. Acknowledge that you make keep it longer thank you think.
    Don’t F it up beyond what you have there. I would say more than 75% of the guys here would love a nice running, driving vintage automobile. That is not a wreck.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

come on - walk on the wild side - bags, flame throwers, black primer, red wheels - or, drive it as is and make sure all mechanics are in top notch condition - have photo shop crew try different 15" caps, etc - try to have fun while getting lots of thumbs up as you cruise by

loudbang likes this.
  24. williebill

williebill

That.
    is.
    gorgeous.
    Just lower and drive it.
    I'm so jealous.

55styleliner likes this.
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Please do not lower it! The stance on these cars where perfect from the factory . Lowering it will just cause clearance issues and compromise ride quality. Fifteens would be fine and I have always been partial to the black back round lancer caps of the same era. Twice pipes, chrome tips and your done . The paint looks nice otherwise I would shave the hood and deck emblems . Do not add any scallops or pin striping. The white paint and red interior are just to classic and clean , anything added would just be gaudy. Just my opinon's . That car is just cool the way it is. Larry

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

15” tires, dual exhaust, call it done. Overdone, but Caddy Sombrero caps would look good on it.

54vicky, czuch and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Steer horns and a cowboy hat.

Sweet ride.

belair, 54vicky, das858 and 4 others like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Lower the rear and add a continental kit. And add some kackle to the pipes. Lake pipes and Capri caps.

29. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the weight of an MEL up front, I’d drive it a bit before I thought about lowering it. Fit the 15’s and caps, see how it looks and drives over your roads. Might be even lakes pipes (which I like) are going to interfere unless you raise them, and then your lady friend is going to burn her legs. I’m also partial to bellflowers, but with that chrome trim on the skirts and fender and rise on the quarters? Needs a better eye than mine.
    Nice car, my Dad had and loved a number of big Lincoln’s, not a 57, and those boats are a bit different on the road from most of what we’re used to.
    If you want to play with that MEL, there’s some guys at yblocksforever that do that.

BigDogSS likes this.