Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help finding a reputable shop for restoration of 56 Tbird in Atlanta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gracie, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Gracie

Gracie

Hi All,
    Long time no see! My cousin is about to start restoring her 56 Tbird... she lives in Warner Robbins, GA... do you guys have some good advice? I suppose she'll need to do mechanics first, then bodywork. It's not in bad shape to begin with... it's been garage kept.

2. If you want a Bird done right send it to Hills in Racine Ohio.

Oldmics

jazz1 likes this.
  3. Amos Minter.....DallasTexas known world wide...

Rramjet1, kidcampbell71 and jazz1 like this.
  4. I recently sold a ’57 Bird. It was a low mileage (90K), California car all of its life, had been parked for 40 years and need to be gone through completely. Car had been in the family for 50 years. Really hated to sell it but realistically I would never get to it. When a good friend heard it was for sale he asked me if I would hold off selling it until he had time to do his homework? This guy was a real car guy, drove a deuce coupe in high school in the sixties and remained interested in cars. Was into vintage racing for many years. Wasn’t familiar with the early birds. He got together with a couple of shops and friends that were into cars. When he got back to me he told me what I already knew, it was less expensive to buy a restored one than to buy one and restore it. Tell your cousin unless she has an attachment to this particular car (belonged to her father, etc.) she should sell it and buy one that has been restored. This is especially true if she will have to pay someone else to do the restoration work. My comments are relative to a restoration, if she just wants to fix up her driver, that probably makes sense.

As a minimum have her put together what the whole project will cost before she goes ahead with it.

Charlie Stephens IMG_3200.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Truck64 and egads like this.

5. That takes some deep pockets but they are the best. HRP

jazz1 likes this.
  6. Danny.Amos startd doing T Birds while still painting and wallpaper on houses.I sold him several sets of Tru=spoke wheels for his restorations frpm our store in Dallas...and He is super nice guy to boot

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Expect serious rust in hidden areas.
    This is one we did after the first "restoration" failed big time. Worden - 02 - 018.jpg

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Gracie, nice to hear from you. I remember when you were the closest HAMBer to me and one of only three girls on the whole board. Been a long time.

Good luck on the 'Bird.

-Abone.

9. jazz1

jazz1

Definitely bring it to someone with a reputation. Local fellow with '62 bird fleeced by two "bodyshops" He recovered car and asked me if I was interested in restoring the car. I told him its out of my league and i'm no pro. I added, take it to reputable shop, remember Poor Man Pay Twice.

10. Gracie

Gracie

I was hoping for something closer to Georgia... I don't think she wants to send it outside of her state. This car has sentimental value to us all... so she won't be selling it.

11. Gracie

Gracie

Hey man! I'm still around, but having to take care of elderly parents these days... keeps me broke and busy and worn out most of the time now. :)

12. Along with Denise and Rocket Scientist Chris :D

I'll see if any of the SFCC guys know anyone they could recommend. Dirty Old Man lives not too far from Warner Robbins, most of the rest are north of ATL.

13. glrbird

glrbird

Ask around on y-blocksfoerver and ford barn, lots of nice people there.

14. If it just needs mechanical call Bruce Fair, works from his home shop in brookhaven about $60/hour 770 633 3747, does not do bodywork though.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Here's a novel thought - find out contact info for Classic Thunderbird Club International (CTCI) and Vintage Thunderbird Club International (VTCI) chapters in the Atlanta area by going to www.ctci.org and www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net , then go to local chapters' websites like Atlanta Classic Thunderbird Club http://atlantatbird.com/ and North Georgia Vintage Thunderbird Club http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/south_east_region.htm to find contact people to ask if they can recommend any restoration shops.

16. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve owned my 55 for 19 years. The advice about cost is correct, and the restorers mentioned top quality. The best advice is from Yutan, the people in those clubs will almost always provide honest help and direction. They’ve spent the money to know.

Good luck.

Yutan Flash likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, I am the closest SFCC member to Warner Robins, that's true, but I'm still about 60-65 miles from there and know very few people in that area. GAOldsman is in Perry, GA, much closer to Warner Robins, might try to contact him.
    I agree that it would help a great deal to know if she needs mechanical work or body/paint work or both, and whether she wants restoration quality work or just wants a good driver with a decent appearance.