Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one go camping during the winter months?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2018.

1. This year has gotten away from me and we haven't moved the camper, but we are making plans for a long weekend trip to one of the State Parks next month, at least we won't have to worry about the heat. HRP

[​IMG]

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

If you were up here in Ohio you would have to worry about the heat, the lack of heat that is. I took three of the grandsons(8,11 &14)last winter with snow on in a primitive cabin, cooked on an open fire and tried to keep warm in the cabin in sleeping bags. They had fun, I froze my ass off. The stuff memories are made of!!

Tim and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Sounds like the house I grew up in! :D

Thank God for grandma's patchwork quilts. HRP

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We went once in our motor home in the fall of the year, found out the heat didn't work. :( Never tried it again, and still haven't fixed that heater.:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Years ago in high school a couple buddies and I must have had cabin fever and decided we should try winter camping. In Iowa. Oops. I didn't have the right equipment, brought an old summer weight boy scout sleeping bag that went up to my armpits, I remember it had illustrations of scouts frying up bacon and shooting arrows &c on the inside. We hiked in with a case of beer and set up a tent right on the snow. Built a fire out of squaw wood that burned bright for a little while and then went out. Uh-oh. Drank the beer. It gets dark early in the winter about 6 oclock that time a year. Froze my ass off. Never again. I have good equipment today, and lots of experience. I don't "rough it" no way no how. So called off season camping is better in the sense that the crowds are gone, the bugs, heat, and humidity. Fall camping is probably the best time. Unless there's a lake or something like that nearby summertime camping is pretty miserable in many parts of the country. F that.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Campers, Cabins? That's not camping it's just a short step down from a Hotel.:);)

7. After my discharge I decided I didn't want to sleep on the ground anymore, that's why we have a vintage camper. HRP

lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  8. Ever try Camping when its still 100+ at night...

Camping in the winter is when I go.. Small camp fire, Adult beverages to keep the innards warm.

And besides if you are a "DUNER" that's when the riding season is out here !

Still neat to see the "OLD SKOOL" water pumpers show up at the dunes still..

Oldsmobile hill got it name for a reason... ONLY the BIG Olds would make it up the hill.

acc3238ba0e65ea0cc086d8873ee64e9.jpg

fredgpopmarina2.jpg

a5d7fe697cc092dff17fa448f60d6876.jpg

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I ran into that once, an old feller had this sweet OT pickup truck with a matching topper. He stopped to visit. It was old, but obviously well cared for and spotless. I think he was selling it. Offhandedly, I said something like "That'd be great for camping" He just looked at me, and then spit out the word "Camping" like it was the dumbest goddamn thing ever. "I did all the camping I'd ever want to to do in New Guinea in 1942"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Did a lot of winter camping in the army..
    Its been over 20 years and ive just started camping again, twice, because my daughters love it.
    I wish you all the best woth your outdoor endeavors. :D

HOTRODPRIMER and wraymen like this.
  11. S10_Man

S10_Man

If you are a young adult, just get the best sleeping bag you can afford, a good tent, a few companions and enjoy! At my age, a heated camper is the way to go. Since I don't ski, birdwatching is my primary outdoor winter activity. Best to stay in a warm house by the fireplace and drink coffee, then go to the heated garage and turn a wrench on the hot rod.

trollst, HOTRODPRIMER and Truck64 like this.
  12. I definitely have a heater in our vintage Shasta camper. HRP

upload_2018-10-30_11-5-38.jpeg

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Insulation underneath is just as important. Conduction. Can have a below Zero rated sleeping bag, if sleeping on the ground can still get cold. Closed cell foam pads are popular and lightweight. Air mattresses pumped up about halfway are super comfortable but, don't have any insulation. Brrr!

Thermarest mattresses really took off in a big way when they hit the market. I remember cause I was the first one in our group that had one. Next campout everybody else had one too.

The only downside really is getting out of bed in the morning. The important thing is making sure the bladder is taken care of the night before. Otherwise I lay there by about O dark thirty 3/4s awake telling myself I'm 1/2 asleep. Takes a lot of calories to maintain a full bladder at 98.6°! Never get back to sleep. A piss bottle is the way to go. That way too all the body heat built up in the sleeping bag isn't lost just getting out to piss.

It's best sleeping under the stars. Take a bearing with your compass and figure out exactly where the sun comes up. That way, you can tailor your particular spot the next night/morning to take advantage of the sun's earliest rays. This also works in the summer, can pick a spot that stays in the shade till late if wanting to sleep in. Winter hikers learn quickly to take advantage of microclimates, a south facing overhang in a canyon can be pretty comfortable if there's no wind.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

She looks pretty hawt, too!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's a Win-ter?

HOTRODPRIMER and Truck64 like this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess if you live in the South, Then winter months is about the only time you can get out and enjoy the outdoors and camp. Up north its backwards......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Winter= no pests, insect or human
    I could not imagine living in a place with only one or two seasons. As I grow older that perspective could change though.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was stationed in Hawaii for three years. It is weird. 4 seasons has a certain perspective. And being cramped on a small island is part of it. As I get older both high heat and low cold are more difficult to tolerate (along with everything else now that I think about it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  19. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Seems like the only camping I do anymore is on fall-to-spring dune trips. Best time to enjoy a fire is cold weather camping imo. Sold my pop up a few years ago, but I still set up tents in the same elec & water sites, I think my days of roughing it ceased in my early 40's. But still, sleeping/being outside for 3 or 4 days is good for the soul. Lost my tent and canopy from high winds during a trip a few weeks before this last trip, so this is my latest setup. No more porta potties, no more public showers...grille, coffee maker, microwave, instant-unlimited hot water lol-everything I need is right here. Got down to upper 30's at night, slept in my boxers. Had it around 65 degrees in there. Bout as good as it gets.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have four seasons here. You can elect to visit the other two, or not. They are not compulsory.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. I stayed at the Four Seasons once, nice place. As far as the weather at the time, I couldn't tell you what month it was.:)
    It was about 60 degrees. I think it was Feb. or maybe it was July. It's been a while.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. It's the opposite of Sum-mer, and it sucks. HRP

23. We ran the desert in the dark of night at 90 Degrees F then slept in tents during the day at 135 Degrees F. Shivered and wore coats at 90! Once went to sleep at 50 Degrees F and woke up with ice cycles hanging and dripping on us from the tin roof of the building we went to sleep in from the condensation. As Scouts we took advantage of the situation.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Anyone go camping in the winter months? No, and I don't go camping in any other season either.

The US Army took all the "camp" out of me. And while I'm at it they took the "hunt" out of me, too. There is no longer any appeal to walking around in the trees with a rifle.

warhorseracing likes this.
  25. Camping is now far better in my OT 28' RV as laying on the ground under the stars makes me old bones sore. Last on the ground camping was this last August. For me there is no appeal to even carrying a firearm anywhere anymore. Even the joy of shooting pumpkins and water melons has diminished.

170speeddog likes this.
  26. I have also passed the stage of sleeping on the ground,we just use our 15 ft camper. HRP

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cold.jpg Cold2.jpg Cold3.jpg Last year I bought myself a cold-weather tent. It's supposed to fit 2 but I fit comfortably by myself. Anyways...Jan 4 this year I tested it out in my back woods. Good fire going, good -20* rated sleeping bag. It got down to -10*. It was cold but I survived. I'll def do it some more this winter. Our '58 Tour-A-Home prolly won't go out in the salt/snow. I'll see if I can dig some pics out from last Jan later on.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  28. Duellym

Duellym

latest I've gone is the 1st and 2nd week of October for the big fairs around us. camping in the snow does sound fun though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Trust me, it is not fun. Especially at -40 F before wind chill and you can have no fire.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.