Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best lift...2/4 post?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Sep 2, 2018.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm thinking about a lift. For years I've been using a portable air/pneumatic Fisher lift (looks like this one). My garage has one bay with a real tall opening & door, but about 9ft wide. Looking at lifts it looks like not expensive. What's the best for the money? The drive on ramp ones would be good for low clearance car (new Mustang).
    Thanks, advice.[​IMG]

2. Depending on use both work great for certain things

I have four 2 posts lifts I use for mechanic work but all the exhaust guys I know want a 4 post lift

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In my opinion, and having used both styles, there is no ‘best’ or ‘ideal’. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages. There are ways to compensate with either style to overcome their respective disadvantages. For instance, a drive on ramp style is easily equipped with a sliding ‘bridge’ that permits jacking the suspension for wheel rotation/removal for tire, brake and suspension work. But the ‘clear’ area under the car is limited compared to a 2 post.

Two post have none of those inherent issues, but the suspension is always extended when the vehicle is lifted unless wheel support stands are utilized. One major advantage of a two post is, especially for a one stall garage such as you have, is it takes much less otherwise useable garage space. In my opinion, that alone would favor a two post for your application. Also, a two post can easily be used to lift a body from a chassis should that be of interest with any of your projects. That could be done with a 4 post, but not as handily imo.

Edit: having just read post #2 , my experience has been a two post offers more free space for exhaust system work. For example, when I was doing exhaust work on a drive on, I often had to use a support stand to hold the chassis up while lowering the lift to extend the rear suspension for clearance for tailpipe R&R. I do agree a two post is superior for powertrain work whether RWD or FWD.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  4. oldolds

oldolds

You may as well ask what is the best color red. There are a lot of opinions on this subject. I have used both. If I could only buy one it would be a drive on. Basically it is because it is harder for a car to fall off of one. You can use it to align front ends if you buy some equipment. It can be a frame table if you need to build a frame.

seb fontana, clem and Tacson like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes both have +/- ratio. I like oldolds stated opinion. Relating to safety , a drive on (it can be done , Murphy's law) but your car is less likely to hurt you or the car on a drive on. A guy next town over bought a new 12,000 lb lift, professionally installed. Put a 2012 F350 on lift. Raised it up, factory weld broke on lift swing arm mount he was working on rear end and his son was by the rear tire. Squashed him to death and buggered up his son for life. You can also Google and see pics of vehicles hanging off a two post. I would rather put up with inconveniences of a drive on and work around any obstacles and have a bigger serving of peace of mind I'm .

seb fontana and Tacson like this.
  6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I guess I'm qualified to make a comparison since I have one of each. Up to the age of 70 I used both equally but now in my 80's the two post pretty much gathers dust. The 4 post has the rolling bridge with two jacks so most of the two post functions are retained. Both are Rotary with the 2 post being a 9,000# and the 4 post a 12,000# and each has been worked on ONCE in the last 40 years---hose on the two post and ram seal on the 4 post. Would recommend one if still USA built.

belair and FrankenRodz like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If I had the space and cash, I'd have one of each.
    Both are useful but do offer different features.
    Buddy of mine has a rollaway 4 post which I quite like.

8. cretin

cretin

In my experience, I prefer a 2 post lift. I don't have the luxury of being able to install a 2 post lift at my house, so I have a 4 post. One benefit of my 4 post is that it has wheels you can attach to it and move it around, so you are not committed to one spot.
    Some ingenuity can make a 4 post quite useful. I saw some modification made to one that I plan to do to mine.
    An I-beam structure was built around the perimeter of the lift using the 4 posts. You can use it to attach fixtures to hold a body and conveniently install or remove a body on a frame. There was also a movable beam installed with a chain hoist for engine removal.

I have a directlift. It has worked well for me.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have a DirectLift 4 post, standard height/width, recommend it, 6 years now, fair amount of use , no problems, it's the only import with various safety tested certifications, have friends with same unit, no problems, $2095 when purchased. Also have friends with Backyard Buddy 4 post lifts, have used them, very nice unit, american made, 2X the $$$. The biggest draw back of a 2 post IMO is getting down on floor to get the arms in correct position for the lift, also if your rides sits low, mine do, now you have to jack up car to get arms under it, getting old is one the big reasons why us old guys buy a lift, can't get up and down, lay on ground anymore AND it will be the best tool you ever buy for your car hobby work.

Rick & Jan and buford36 like this.
  10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought a Direct lift four post. Had it now for five years and no issues. The only issue I had was the instructions they gave were not the greatest and had to go on line and see a few videos to know how to route the cables. They also came with wheels that attached making it easy to move if necessary.

wicarnut likes this.
  11. Silverplate

Silverplate

I have had a Direct Lift four post lift for four years, no issues and no regrets. I bought it with the sliding hydraulic Jack. Best money I have spent.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
    wicarnut likes this.
  12. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Thanks so much. The service station I worked at as a teenager had a two post lift and we had some close calls.
    I'm leaning towards the Direct Lift four post lift.
    When my garage was built 30 years ago I had a fork lift, so the contractor had one tall door which opens up to the second floor which is made to hold a lot of weight.
    After built I sold the forklift.
    It looks like the Direct lift I could park a car below. I'm not planning on exhaust work, mainly oil/lube. I do need to change a few gas tanks.

wicarnut likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Priority #1 for you to be safe:)

clem and Tacson like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup the last thing we want to do on here is a memorial thread because you bought a cheap hoist and it collapsed or a car fell off it.
    Twin post is nice for the reason the guys said. you have most of the bottom side of the rig clear and when I was doing brakes and front end work every day I could lift the rigs up to the right height to sit on my roll around shop stool and work comfortably.
    They work good for late model stuff but are a pain in the butt for a lot of older rigs or a lot of trucks. If it has running boards and is a bit low you spend more time laying on the floor getting the hoist set right than you do working. That and weight and balance. I've raised a couple of big pickups that were so nose heavy that you had to be super careful of where you positioned the lift arms.
    4 post drive on you line the car up straight with the hoist and drive on an if you latch on to one of those curved mirrors that they use in stores to look around corners and place it centered in front of the hoist at the right spot you can watch the mirror to make sure you drive on it straight. I had one of those on a front end rack in one shop it made life real easy.
    At any rate make sure what ever you get has the safety features and check for feedback on the unit to see if anyone has had issues with them.

Hnstray and wicarnut like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have a 2 post. It is a fantastic tool, but for building a car, I think a 4 post is a better choice. Having the ability to load suspension, like a frame table, while elevated, is very handy. I've had to build fixtures to do this with my 2 post.

For servicing a car, for limited footprint, for picking random things, my 2 post is the berries! Frankly, for everything I do with it, it's a ton better than crawling under a car.

16. I'd like to hear more opinions from people who have low hot rods, with fenders. Some of the comments about making that work sound pretty daunting, to an achy old fella. I'd like to get the car up to a good working hight, with having to crawl all around the floor.

17. leon bee

leon bee

With a 2 post, after the first time you lift a car, you then know right where put things. You do have to drop down on your knees, but that helps keep you limbered up.

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have two 2-post lifts in my garage. Usually I'll have a car up in the air and one parked below; which gives me more parking space in doors.

For my lowered cars, I have some ramps that I drive up on (they at 8 inches at the top and taper to the floor) to get around the to-low situation, so the arms can be moved under the car.

Hnstray and Chili Phil like this.
  19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

If you're gonna do suspension work, a two post is probably ideal

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I debated and ended up with the smallest and tallest Bend Pack 4 post lift they make. I'm only lifting 32 fords so the 7000 lb lift was fine. I have a 12 ft 6 inch ceiling so stacking is no problem. I can see the advantage of a 2 post for suspension work but I have a jack that fits in the middle of the lift to pick the cars off the ramps if necessary. I bolted mine to the floor as it seemed a little wiggly with my deuce pu at the top of the lift. I opted for the 110 volt pump over the 220 and it works fine plus I didn't have to rewire. I also opted for the air release safety stops. I hired mine commercially installed which added to the price but it was worth it as I had a few minor problems which the installer stood behind.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My rod is very low and therefore I can get a stand up workable height under my Direct lift 4 post due to my ceiling height. But if I put a full size car on it I can get a little over three feet clearance under it. I also had to relocate my garage door opener to a side lift as my old one was located in the center of the door and the door rails had to be extended as close to the ceiling as possible. I included a few pictures including the size of the shipping crate size it came in. IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1448.JPG

Attached Files:

22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Now I'm toying with the idea of a grease pit. It's simple and safe if made correctly. Maybe steel plate over it when not in use.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Grease pits ARE NOT safe.......nor practical, for a variety of reasons! Do some homework on that subject and I think you will likely change your mind.

Ray

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Greg Smith Equipment..Has many to chose from..I prefer 4 post..

stillrunners and belair like this.
  26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I have a 4 post with a sliding tray. I like it because the car sets like it does when it is on the road. you can check the car for shock , exhaust or drive shaft problems

stillrunners likes this.
  27. Really wanted this Hunter Line Alignment center at a recent auction but then I would maybe need a pit...it went cheap....the 427 Vette was pulled early from the auction by the family.... IMG_20181016_133653_376.jpg

28. oldsman41

oldsman41

Got a friend who has both. I asked him the same question and he says he likes the 2 post for normal work and the four post for parking one underneath, and doing exhaust work.

Rich S. likes this.
  29. This is essentially the answer to the question. 2-post is better for working on cars, 4-post better for parking. The 2-post leaves the suspension dangling, since it supports on the frame. Long term is recommended to leave the suspension loaded with weight of the car on it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  30. I worked on cars for a living, a quality 2 post is great for everything except ride height and exhaust work. I think the better question is how much room do you have, how high is your ceiling and how thick is your floor?

Dyce and VANDENPLAS like this.